Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 01:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Guidebook Writer: have visited hotels throughout the country

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: I have visited hotels throughout the country and have [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2012, 11:01
The only reason I can select D is because all other options are either irrelevant or strengthening the argument. So its only by elimination. I see no explanation valid enough for D to be an option.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 36

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: I have visited hotels throughout the country and have [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 00:44
vaivish1723 wrote:
I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that in those built before 1930 the quality of the original carpentry work is generally superior to that in hotels built afterward. Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically worked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built subsequently.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the guidebook writer’s argument?

A. The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores.
B. Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built before 1930.
C. The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930.
D. The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished.
E. The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930.
I dont know the answer, Kindly explain along with the right answer

Choice D is the correct one because it explain that the building which was built in good quality less likely to be collapsed than the one which was built in worse quality. So, we do not know how many buildings less in quality are collapsed before 1930. If there are many buildings are collapsed before 1930 because of the low quality, we cannot conclude that the skill in carpenter before 1930 are better than the skills in carpenter since 1930.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 276

Re: Guidebook Writer: have visited hotels throughout the country [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 10:38
Wow, just one word can make a difference. 'quality'

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 114

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 4

Re: Guidebook Writer: have visited hotels throughout the country [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 15:13
hi Sauravdas,

D does definitely weaken, because it says that buildings built with high quality are more likely to remain in use.

SO

The buildings from pre 1930 are likely to only be a small section of all buildings that were ever built pre 1930 and only the good ones survive. So not all pre 1930 buildings would have had such high quality work.

Hope that helps.

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

Re: Guidebook Writer: have visited hotels throughout the country [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 08:28
Why E is not correct?

E says that length of apprenticeship has declined after 1930 and so we can infer that if every other thing remain same, then the care, skill and effort must be enhanced after 1930 for the same quality of hotel.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: I have visited hotels throughout the country and have [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 12:37
sauravdas wrote:
The only reason I can select D is because all other options are either irrelevant or strengthening the argument. So its only by elimination. I see no explanation valid enough for D to be an option.

Although it's true that by POE you can eliminate all other answers quite easily, IMO, D has very strong logic.

The stem:

Author visits hotels built BEFORE 1930 and AFTER 1930, and sees that carpentry is of higher quality in MORE hotels built before 1930 than built after.

Author CONCLUDES that masters who made carpets for hotels before 1930 were more skillful than those who made carpets for hotels after 1930.

Weaken the conclusion:

D. If carpentry is of WORSE quality in a hotel, then the odds that the hotel will be abandoned and, ultimately, demolished are HIGHER.

THEREFORE: The author cannot objectively CONCLUDE that masters who made carpets for hotels before 1930 were more skillful, BECAUSE he is most probably comparing the residual number of hotels built before 1930 (that were not demolished because they had good carpentry) with the hotels built after 1930, which include hotels that have bad carpentry, but weren't yet demolished because not enough time has elapsed for that to happen.

I hope the answer is exhaustively comprehensive and I'm sorry if my grammar is a bit odd (not english native). I've been reading this forum for a while and decided to register today:) GMAT in 1 week! Good luck everyone.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Re: Guidebook Writer: have visited hotels throughout the country [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 06:22
The writer assumes that 'All the carpentry done during 1930...or during a certain era...was good'....he writes with a 'those good old days...' sense.

Whatever 'Retro' he finds he assumes to be good and unique (perhaps.)

He lives no room for the facts that

1. There could be many buildings in the 1930's which used low quality material and wre eventually demolished.

2. Thr could be many buildings with good carpentry work in present era, which he might have never visited.

The 'samples' he took on which he assumes a certain conclusion are not sufficient.............D highlights the same.

It mentions that only those buildings with good carpentry survived......thus highlighting point 1.

Let me know it was helpful.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 276

Re: Guidebook Writer: have visited hotels throughout the country [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 23:50
ANS D- I need to find a reason to weaken this conclusion. Maybe only slightly or indirectly.

Say there are 100 such pre-1930 old hotels. 90 of them have been demolished because the carpentry was bad

say there are 40 new hotels. Out of the 40 may be 35 hotels have a inferior quality carpentry.

So there are 10 old hotels.....> good carpentry
There are 35 new ones.........> Bad carpentry

Can I conclude that the old hotel is better than the new??

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Guidebook Writer: have visited hotels throughout the country [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2013, 11:40
reasons to eliminate A B C & E are convincing :-)

Though a tough que to choose "D" as correct choice
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V35
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: I have visited hotels throughout [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 00:17
TehJay wrote:
vaivish1723 wrote:
I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that in those built before 1930 the quality of the original carpentry work is generally superior to that in hotels built afterward. Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically worked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built subsequently.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the guidebook writer’s argument?

We want to weaken the argument that carpenters before 1930 were better than carpenters after 1930.

A. The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores. The writer isn't comparing hotels to other buildings - irrelevant.

B. Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built before 1930. Irrelevant

C. The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930. STRENGTHENS the argument - if both sets of carpenters have the same quality tools, then the pre-1930's carpenters were probably doing better work with those tools

D. The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished. Makes sense - it's not that every single hotel built before 1930 was better than the ones built after, but instead that the VERY BEST hotels are still around, while the lesser ones have long since been demolished. The proportion of badly built hotels before 1930 could have been much higher than it is now, but all of the bad ones have been demolished and replaced with modern buildings, so the writer is only seeing the best of the best that were built.

E. The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930. Would strengthen the argument - carpenters train less now than they used to.

I dont know the answer, Kindly explain along with the right answer

Why it is now E ? why is E irrelevant .. its telling the bad quality work after 1930 is cause of length of apprenticeship .. not because carpenters lack in skill or cared less ..

consider it a cause and effect .. more care and skill >>>>> good furniture ... now I introduce something else, hence it should weaken it .. isnt it ?

Forget Kudos ... be an altruist

Re: I have visited hotels throughout   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2013, 00:17