Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 00:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Guidebook Writer: have visited hotels throughout the country

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 60 [1] , given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Guidebook Writer: have visited hotels throughout the country [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2009, 22:58
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (02:07) correct 50% (01:21) wrong based on 639 sessions
Guidebook Writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that in those built before 1930 the quality of the original carpentry work is generally superior to that in hotels built afterward. Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically worked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built subsequently.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the guidebook writer’s argument?

A. The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores.
B. Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built before 1930.
C. The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930.
D. The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished.
E. The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930.

I dont know the answer, Kindly explain along with the right answer
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [3] , given: 11

Re: I have visited hotels throughout [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2009, 01:17
This post received
KUDOS
A. The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores.
- Irrelevant

B. Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built before 1930.
- Possible. Diffentiate between the 2 structures but no direct relationship with the caprpentary until we argue that carpentry was damanged by accomodatine more guests blah. Disregard

C. The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930.
- Doesnt weaken infact strengthen.
D. The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished.
-This gives us the idea that the old buildings have good carpentry since all other similarly aged buildings would have fall into misuse and demolished due to bad carpentry. Since the comparison is not fair in nature, it weakens the author's original argument.

E. The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930.
- Doesnt weaken infact strengthen.
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 106

Re: I have visited hotels throughout [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2009, 06:01
OA is D as I remember. D seems appropriate too.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 407 [0], given: 56

Re: I have visited hotels throughout [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2009, 07:24
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 8

Re: I have visited hotels throughout [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 06:36
i am still unable to understand how the answer is D....

Please explain in a little detail...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 17

Re: I have visited hotels throughout [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 07:11
vaivish1723 wrote:
I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that in those built before 1930 the quality of the original carpentry work is generally superior to that in hotels built afterward. Conclusion :Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically worked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built subsequently.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the guidebook writer’s argument?

A. The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores.Irreverent as the author compares just hotels
B. Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built before 1930. We do not care about accommodation but about skill
C. The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930.Irrelevant- How can materials have anything to do. If at all it supports the authors conclusion that even though the same tools were used older buildings were better made
D. The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished. The very reason that the author could visit these hotels is because the quality of carpentry was good and it withstood the test of time
E. The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930.Irrelevant

Manager
Manager

Re: I have visited hotels throughout [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 07:12
cr-set-23-q2-53053.html

Another thread
Manager
Manager

Re: I have visited hotels throughout [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 07:13
Here is another link.. donot find it too helpful but can explain some answer choices
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: I have visited hotels throughout [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 05:21
Please explain bit confused
16 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 80 [16] , given: 5

Re: I have visited hotels throughout [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 05:59
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
vaivish1723 wrote:
I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that in those built before 1930 the quality of the original carpentry work is generally superior to that in hotels built afterward. Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically worked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built subsequently.

We want to weaken the argument that carpenters before 1930 were better than carpenters after 1930.

A. The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores. The writer isn't comparing hotels to other buildings - irrelevant.

B. Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built before 1930. Irrelevant

C. The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930. STRENGTHENS the argument - if both sets of carpenters have the same quality tools, then the pre-1930's carpenters were probably doing better work with those tools

D. The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished. Makes sense - it's not that every single hotel built before 1930 was better than the ones built after, but instead that the VERY BEST hotels are still around, while the lesser ones have long since been demolished. The proportion of badly built hotels before 1930 could have been much higher than it is now, but all of the bad ones have been demolished and replaced with modern buildings, so the writer is only seeing the best of the best that were built.

E. The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930. Would strengthen the argument - carpenters train less now than they used to.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Engineering

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

Re: I have visited hotels throughout [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 06:25
vaivish, malik, nishant - try using POE and you will narrow down to 1~2 choices.

Irrelevant A. The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores.

Irrelevant. Some ppl might try to relate it - more guests - > more damage. If less damage means better work /quality (but this is stretching it too far in GMAT) B. Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built before 1930.

Strengthens coz is material is same, then workmanship has to be better. C. The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930.

Irrelevant E. The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930.

Now go back to D. Building still there - > original carpentry is good quality - > it is not the workmanship, but the quality of material. Hence, weakens the claim of high quality of workmanship by the author.

All things are possible to those who believe.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 29

Re: I have visited hotels throughout [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 07:16
adishail wrote:

Now go back to D. Building still there - > original carpentry is good quality - > it is not the workmanship, but the quality of material. Hence, weakens the claim of high quality of workmanship by the author.

Where does it specify about quality of material? It just says that building is still there because of good work done by workers.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 46

Re: I have visited hotels throughout [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2011, 02:41
vaivish1723 wrote:
I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that in those built before 1930 the quality of the original carpentry work is generally superior to that in hotels built afterward. Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically worked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built subsequently.

I got it wrong
i was confused by E
however now i have to take it as D after reading the explanation :? :?

WarLocK

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 37

Re: I have visited hotels throughout [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2011, 03:05
D it is.

D tells us Writer visited only those before-1930-hotels that had better quality of carpentary. Otherwise those hotels would have not in use as hotels at all. Hence it weakens writer's claim
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 46

Re: I have visited hotels throughout [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2011, 03:09
crick20002002 wrote:
D it is.

D tells us Writer visited only those before-1930-hotels that had better quality of carpentary. Otherwise those hotels would have not in use as hotels at all. Hence it weakens writer's claim

Excellent man
nice and different explanation
kudos to you :) :)

WarLocK

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: I have visited hotels throughout [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 19:21
The essence of the argument is that better quality hotels is a result of working with more skill, care, and effort prior to 1930. So we need to find a case that refutes this claim. Look for the option disproving that all buildings in this era were of good quality.

If this is true, then we can't say that all hotels were quality hotels prior to 1930 because there could be thousands built at this time that were of poor qualilty which fell into disuse and were demolished. So it correctly weakens the argument.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 56

Re: I have visited hotels throughout [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2011, 11:52
I picked D...this is representativeness problem....only the best hotels built before 1930 are still functioning, the rest were demolished. The writer is comparing all contemporary hotels to the best of the 1930's. Not a fare comparison and does not reflect the change in workmanship of carpenters.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: I have visited hotels throughout [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2011, 20:26
+1 for D
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

Re: I have visited hotels throughout the country and have [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 23:54
vaivish1723 wrote:

choice D is correct. only building remaining from 1930 are those that have superior carpentry work , and hence are not representative of all the building during 1930. So comparison btw the carpentry of building of 1930 to present day one's get weakened
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: I have visited hotels throughout the country and have [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2012, 11:01
The only reason I can select D is because all other options are either irrelevant or strengthening the argument. So its only by elimination. I see no explanation valid enough for D to be an option.
Re: I have visited hotels throughout the country and have   [#permalink] 02 Jun 2012, 11:01