Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 04:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2011, 07:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

61% (02:02) correct 39% (01:13) wrong based on 28 sessions
114. Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that in those built before 1930 the quality of the orginal carpentry work is generally superior to that in hotels built afterward. Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically worked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built subsequently

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the guidebook writer's argument

a) The quality of orginal carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores

b) Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built before 1930

c) The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not signficantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930

d) The better the quality of orginal carpentry in building, the less likely taht building is to fall into disuse and be demolished

e) The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 39 [1] , given: 32

Re: A 12th OG problem, pls help to explain.(4) [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2011, 21:53
This post received
KUDOS
IMO D

tracyyahoo wrote:
114. Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that in those built before 1930 the quality of the orginal carpentry work is generally superior to that in hotels built afterward. Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically worked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built subsequently

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the guidebook writer's argument

a) The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores
(irrelevant, we are comparing hotels, not houses and stores.)

b) Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built before 1930
(irrelevant - we are talking about quality of carpentry, not of the hotels' capacity. Also if capacity of hotels do affect quality of carpentry by increasing or decreasing use of a hotel, its too far fetched a conclusion to rely upon)

c) The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930 (strengthens - this option tells us that all other conditions being equal, carpentry style depended on the skill of the carpenters)

d) The better the quality of original carpentry in building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished (weakens - this option tells us that only those hotels built before 1930's survived that had better quality of carpentry, thus the comparison is not valid as we are comparing the best hotels of one era (before 1930's) with a combination of all types of hotels of one era - after 1930's)

e) The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930. (irrelevant - nowhere in the premises it is mentioned that apprenticeship has an effect on the skill of carpenters)

cheers
Mayank
My GMAT Journey: 720 + dare = 760

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: A 12th OG problem, pls help to explain.(4) [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2011, 13:01
Argument: quality of carpentry in old hotels is better than new ones , hence the old carpenters were more skilled than newer.
Missing link : why the old carpentry has good quality?

a) - out of scope

b) - less use, more intact build. correct

c) - neutral

d) - Neutral

e) - Strengthens the argument.
Manager
Manager

Re: A 12th OG problem, pls help to explain.(4) [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2011, 21:23
Hey,buddy. the official answer is D not B, I chose B firsthand like you but it is wrong.

Can someone explain this type of question in more detail?

piyatiwari wrote:
Argument: quality of carpentry in old hotels is better than new ones , hence the old carpenters were more skilled than newer.
Missing link : why the old carpentry has good quality?

a) - out of scope

b) - less use, more intact build. correct

c) - neutral

d) - Neutral

e) - Strengthens the argument.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: A 12th OG problem, pls help to explain.(4) [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2011, 21:40
This problem has been discussed earlier.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-guidebook-writer-47863.html

Crick
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: A 12th OG problem, pls help to explain.(4) [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 04:14
Oh got it. thanks Mayank!
Manager
Manager

Re: A 12th OG problem, pls help to explain.(4) [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 23:04
I think D is strengthen instead weaken, do you think???

I think there is no correct answer to this question.

mayansd wrote:
IMO D

tracyyahoo wrote:

a) The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores
(irrelevant, we are comparing hotels, not houses and stores.)

(irrelevant - we are talking about quality of carpentry, not of the hotels' capacity. Also if capacity of hotels do affect quality of carpentry by increasing or decreasing use of a hotel, its too far fetched a conclusion to rely upon)

c) The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930 (strengthens - this option tells us that all other conditions being equal, carpentry style depended on the skill of the carpenters)

d) The better the quality of original carpentry in building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished (weakens - this option tells us that only those hotels built before 1930's survived that had better quality of carpentry, thus the comparison is not valid as we are comparing the best hotels of one era (before 1930's) with a combination of all types of hotels of one era - after 1930's)

e) The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930. (irrelevant - nowhere in the premises it is mentioned that apprenticeship has an effect on the skill of carpenters)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 32

Re: A 12th OG problem, pls help to explain.(4) [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 01:10
tracyyahoo wrote:

Incorrect comparison is a common GMAT error and should be recognized at first sight, In the argument given, author is wrongly assuming a few hotels as representative of the entire hotels of one era, as pointed out by option D.

For example, (if you follow cricket), Sachin is the best cricket player does not implies that India has the best cricket team. Or, If Lionel Messi is the best soccer player, then it does not implies that Argentina has the best soccer team. (no offense to fans, just an example)

I hope this helps.

cheers
Mayank
My GMAT Journey: 720 + dare = 760

Manager
Manager

Re: A 12th OG problem, pls help to explain.(4) [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 01:25
where does the passage says a few hotel good quality as repretentative of the entire hotels of one era?

Which sentence cause I'm still in puzzle.

mayansd wrote:
tracyyahoo wrote:

Incorrect comparison is a common GMAT error and should be recognized at first sight, In the argument given, author is wrongly assuming a few hotels as representative of the entire hotels of one era, as pointed out by option D.

For example, (if you follow cricket), Sachin is the best cricket player does not implies that India has the best cricket team. Or, If Lionel Messi is the best soccer player, then it does not implies that Argentina has the best soccer team. (no offense to fans, just an example)

I hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: A 12th OG problem, pls help to explain.(4) [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2011, 09:06
tracyyahoo wrote:
where does the passage says a few hotel good quality as repretentative of the entire hotels of one era?

Which sentence cause I'm still in puzzle.

The answer option D. D States "The better the quality of original carpentry in building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished". Thus the best hotels before 1930 have survived and others have been demolished. And the author is comparing best hotel of period before 1930 with all the hotels made after 1930 period.

A tough one to understand but I got my understanding cleared after going through this thread.
http://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-guidebook-writer-59770.html

Cheers,
Varun

If you like my post, give me KUDOS!!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: A 12th OG problem, pls help to explain.(4) [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2011, 21:10
The author says that good buildings are due to nice carpentry. But what if the author is considering only those buildings that are good. Say the old empires had built 100 buildings, out of which 50 still exist today and 50 are demolished. The author, living in today's world can see only 50 today and says that the original carpentry is good and that the carpenters in the old time worked with more skill. But he is not considering those 50 buildings that are demolished because of bad carpentry.

So D holds good.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Re: A 12th OG problem, pls help to explain.(4) [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 10:33
+1 for D

Aim 720+

Re: A 12th OG problem, pls help to explain.(4)   [#permalink] 24 Aug 2011, 10:33