Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 04:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2007, 05:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that in
those built before 1930 the quality of the original carpentry work is generally superior to
that in hotels built afterward. Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically
worked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built
subsequently.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the guidebook writer’s
argument?
A. The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality
of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores.
B. Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built
before 1930.
C. The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly
different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930.
D. The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that
building is to fall into disuse and be demolished.
E. The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly
since 1930.

Please explain ur answers..!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2007, 06:01
for me is C because it makes a parallel comparison between two facts that would cause the work of carpenters to be different: the quality of materials remain the same
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-Guidebook writer [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2007, 06:36
[quote="circkit"]Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that in
those built before 1930 the quality of the original carpentry work is generally superior to
that in hotels built afterward. Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically
worked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built
subsequently.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the guidebook writer’s
argument?
A. The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores. - Out of scope
B. Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built before 1930. - does not make sense, but can be a choice
C. The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930. - supports the writer
D. The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished. strengthens the statement
E. The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930. - best choice
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2007, 07:19
D.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2007, 07:29
A. The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores.
---out of scope
B. Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built before 1930.
---out of scope
C. The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930.
---strengthens the argument
D. The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished.
---weakens by stating another reason why old hotels still exist
E. The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930.
---out of scope

D is the answer.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2007, 19:07
"D" is the answer.

He is arguing that carpentry was superior before 1930. Choice D weakens this arguement because it demonstrates that houses built before 1930 that are still standing were of the best quality of those built before 1930. Poorly built houses built before 1930 were demolished and hence cannot be viewed by the writer.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2007, 23:43
OA is D
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2007, 02:10
a late D.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2007, 11:26
A) Irrelevant, we are not comparing carpentry of hotel to other structure.
B) Irrelevant - # of guests has nth to do with quality of carpentry
C) If anything, strengthen. if carpenter uses same material and quality differs, we are better able to correclate difference in quality to skill level of carpenter.
D) if better quality = low chance od demolishment. only high quality hotel will remain for a long time.
E) strengthen, provide reason why quality before and after 1930 differs.

D it is!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2007, 11:57
D. Survivorship bias.
  [#permalink] 28 Jun 2007, 11:57