Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 11:27

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2007, 10:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

71% (02:17) correct 29% (01:29) wrong based on 14 sessions
Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that in those built before 1930 the quality of the original carpentry work is generally superior to that in hotels built afterward. Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically worked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built
subsequently.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the guidebook writer’s argument?

A. The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores.
B. Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built before 1930.
C. The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930.
D. The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished.
E. The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930.

I picked E.........assumption over here is quality requires skill, care, and effort, which is relatively lesser in post 1930 carpenters...need to weaken the assumption.....so followed X not causing Y it's Z causing Y...views plz???
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 74 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2007, 18:45
This post received
KUDOS
IMO D

It can be inferred from the statement that only the best of the best hotels built before 1930 are still around, the rest are demolished. Thus, the author did not get to see the full quality spectrum of hotels built before 1930.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - SET 23 Q2 [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2007, 18:57
singh_amit19 wrote:
Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that in those built before 1930 the quality of the original carpentry work is generally superior to that in hotels built afterward. Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically worked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built
subsequently.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the guidebook writer’s argument?

A. The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores.
B. Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built before 1930.
C. The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930.
D. The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished.
E. The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930.

I picked E.........assumption over here is quality requires skill, care, and effort, which is relatively lesser in post 1930 carpenters...need to weaken the assumption.....so followed X not causing Y it's Z causing Y...views plz???

Between C and E, I pick E and agree with you.

C is strengthening the arg by eliminating differences in material.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2007, 20:11
gmatnub wrote:
IMO D

It can be inferred from the statement that only the best of the best hotels built before 1930 are still around, the rest are demolished. Thus, the author did not get to see the full quality spectrum of hotels built before 1930.

BINGO.............OA is D
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - SET 23 Q2 [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2007, 20:15
singh_amit19 wrote:
subsequently.

This is clearly D.

D explains that it wasn't that all carpenters were better skilled and worked harder, but that the buildings remaining in acceptable shape were built of higher quality.

E: This is a very weak choice. It seems to weaken the conclusion, but perhaps apprenticeships for would-be carpenters does not need to be as long as before.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - SET 23 Q2 [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2007, 21:35
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
singh_amit19 wrote:
subsequently.

This is clearly D.

D explains that it wasn't that all carpenters were better skilled and worked harder, but that the buildings remaining in acceptable shape were built of higher quality.

E: This is a very weak choice. It seems to weaken the conclusion, but perhaps apprenticeships for would-be carpenters does not need to be as long as before.

Great man!
Director
Director
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 100

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - SET 23 Q2 [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2009, 18:22
I ve attempted this question before, so i know it is a D

but on the actual test, I would have picked E the first time

countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: CR - SET 23 Q2 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 00:32
superd question guys and great analysis .. thanks ..

Regards,
Saaquib

If you find any grammatical mistake in my post please don't hesitate in pointing out.

Please +1 if you find this post useful.

My Blog

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - SET 23 Q2 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 00:42
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
singh_amit19 wrote:

This is clearly D.

Do you mean: that the viewer has only see few good buildings from the past as all others were demolished because they were not good. So we cant say about carpenters work from the past.

Am i correct in my understanding?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ohio State University

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: CR - SET 23 Q2 [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 00:55
for D...if the original carpentry work is better before 1930 than since 1930, then why can't we conclude that the worker before 1930 is better than that after 1930? Even the less quality carpentry could be demolished, we can still get that conclusion since worse carpentry is easier to be demolished...

can anyone help me on this?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: CR - SET 23 Q2 [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 02:10
My take is D.

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 05:39
WHY b IS WRONG:

B can be a weakener if we assump that more guests make carpentry works degrade sooner.

the situation in which weakener needs assumption is recognized on many og questions. So, E is correct.

what gmat want to teach us here.?

the following from og ilustrate the case in which the weakener requiring an assumption is recognized.

Unlike the wholesale price of raw wool, the wholesale price of raw cotton has fallen considerably in the last Year. Thus, although the retail price of cotton clothing at retail cloting stores has not yet fallen, it will inevitably fall.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

A. The cost of processing raw cotton for cloth has increased during the last Year.
B. The wholesale price is typically higher than that of the same volume of raw cotton.
C. The operating costs of the average retail cloting store have remained constant during the last year.
D. Changes in retail prices always lag behind changes in wholesale prices.
E. The cost of harvesting raw cotton has increased in the last year.

pls help. this is og problems and never, never underestimate the og problem. There is somtheing hard which we have not got here.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 14

Re: Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 08:04
gmatnub has presented the best explanation here - It can be inferred from the statement that only the best of the best hotels built before 1930 are still around, the rest are demolished. Thus, the author did not get to see the full quality spectrum of hotels built before 1930.

But I also agree with tejal777 - It's tough to ignore E.

Thanks and Regards,
Charu Kapoor

Never Never Never GIVE UP !!
Consider KUDOS in case I was able to help you.

Re: Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the   [#permalink] 08 Feb 2013, 08:04