Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2016, 14:08
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2007
Posts: 74
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2007, 10:15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that inthose built before 1930 the quality of the original carpentry work is generally superior to that in hotels built afterward.Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typicallyworked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built
subsequently.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the guidebook writer’s argument?
A. The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores.
B. Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those builtbefore 1930.
C. The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930.
D. The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished.
E. The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2007
Posts: 80
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2007, 10:27
B.

A. I would have chose this one but the author did only make the comment specifically about the hotels not to general carpenter.
B. Skill did not diminish but it is used to create different goal, to accompany more people than to look good.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2007
Posts: 368
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: SET 23 Ques 2 : Good CR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2007, 11:19
E - is the one that at least made some sense.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 931
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 0

Re: SET 23 Ques 2 : Good CR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2007, 11:38
s_positive wrote:
Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that inthose built before 1930 the quality of the original carpentry work is generally superior to that in hotels built afterward.Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typicallyworked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built
subsequently.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the guidebook writer’s argument?
A. The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores.
B. Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those builtbefore 1930.
C. The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930.
D. The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished.
E. The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930.


went for E
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 58
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: SET 23 Ques 2 : Good CR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2007, 07:39
beckee529 wrote:
s_positive wrote:
Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that inthose built before 1930 the quality of the original carpentry work is generally superior to that in hotels built afterward.Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typicallyworked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built
subsequently.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the guidebook writer’s argument?
A. The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores.
B. Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those builtbefore 1930.
C. The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930.
D. The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished.
E. The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930.


went for E


E actually provides support for the conclusion of the argument, which is not what is asked.
i:e Because length apprenticeship reduce, training received by carpenters lessened so did their skills which explains the low quality of work.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 1381
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2007, 07:50
E is like agreeing to say that the quality decreased 'cos of the training issue. So it rather supports than disagreeing with the conclusion

A is close to the thing.

The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores.

How can quality be concluded just by taking some hotels architecture? Consistency is the key

So this reasoning may question the conclusion

B is out of scope

C this would support the conclusion

D supports the conclusion
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SET 23 Ques 2 : Good CR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2007, 08:29
s_positive wrote:
Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that inthose built before 1930 the quality of the original carpentry work is generally superior to that in hotels built afterward.Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typicallyworked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built
subsequently.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the guidebook writer’s argument?
A. The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores.
B. Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those builtbefore 1930.
C. The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930.
D. The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished.
E. The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930.



I'm guessing nobody really knows a confirmed answer, so I disagree with everyone so far.

The only logical answer to me is D

The evidence is not just for comparison if D is true... if only better quality carpentry will survive (poor carpentry will be demolished) it makes sense that only quality carpentry exists from the 30s... the rest has been demolished
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 886
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 7

Re: SET 23 Ques 2 : Good CR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2007, 08:56
s_positive wrote:
Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that inthose built before 1930 the quality of the original carpentry work is generally superior to that in hotels built afterward.Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typicallyworked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built
subsequently.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the guidebook writer’s argument?
A. The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores.
B. Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those builtbefore 1930.
C. The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930.
D. The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished.
E. The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930.


E too though it also doesnot strongly weaken the argument.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2007
Posts: 74
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2007, 13:40
wspfaris... u hit the nail on its head.

The OA is indeed D and a little reasoning can confirm that.
I feel its very tough to get these kinds right on the first attempt.
  [#permalink] 21 Oct 2007, 13:40
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
5 Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the JCLEONES 5 08 Jan 2008, 08:37
Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the gregspirited 13 29 Nov 2007, 04:45
8 Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the singh_amit19 16 29 Sep 2007, 11:13
Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the circkit 10 27 Jun 2007, 06:13
Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the uvs_mba 6 08 Nov 2006, 01:19
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.