Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 20:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 00:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that in
those built before 1930 the quality of the original carpentry work is generally superior to
that in hotels built afterward. Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically
worked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built
subsequently.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the guidebook writer’s
argument?
A. The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality
of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores.
B. Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built
before 1930.
C. The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly
different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930.
D. The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that
building is to fall into disuse and be demolished.
E. The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly
since 1930.

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- WEAKEN [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 01:09
B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- WEAKEN [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 02:40
I also think that B is the only reasonable answer. More people means they will use much often the floor, therefore the floor's quality will be degraded.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- WEAKEN [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 08:11
any other thoughts?

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- WEAKEN [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 08:20
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that in
those built before 1930 the quality of the original carpentry work is generally superior to
that in hotels built afterward. Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically
worked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built
subsequently.
argument?
A. The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality
of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores.This is out of scope
B. Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built
before 1930.It is not weakinig the argument as in it talks of something else where as the argument is for the carpentry
C. The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly
different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930.This actually supports or provides a reasoning as to y the difference is there so this can be a possible answer
D. The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that
building is to fall into disuse and be demolished.This is out of scope
E. The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly
since 1930This talks of apprenticeship which does not mean that can lead to lower skill level but it is too narrow as in the arguments talks about other thing than skll like care and effort .

So i think C should be the answer

Every Problem Has a Sloution So keep working
AB

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- WEAKEN [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 08:26
I remember doing this question before. I chose B but the OA is C. I completely don't agree with OA though

In C the same material quality does not imply that the skill, care, and effort was also same.

Also B implies that since the hotels built after 1930 accommodate more guests and hence there will be more wear and tear to the hotel and thats the reason that the quality of woodwork looks bad and not due the skill of the carpenters involved.

IMO B
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- WEAKEN [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 08:36
I think C can be the possible cause as it tells that carpentrs skill may not be the issue but the materal is not good it can be similar to if the quality of parts used to make a aircraft is not good then however good the designers work was it is bound to crash.... So i think it would not be fair to blame the Worker o designer for that.......

grepro wrote:
I remember doing this question before. I chose B but the OA is C. I completely don't agree with OA though

In C the same material quality does not imply that the skill, care, and effort was also same.

Also B implies that since the hotels built after 1930 accommodate more guests and hence there will be more wear and tear to the hotel and thats the reason that the quality of woodwork looks bad and not due the skill of the carpenters involved.

IMO B

AB

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- WEAKEN [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 08:47
But C says the material is more or less of same quality before and after 1930

different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- WEAKEN [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 09:23
subsequently.
argument?
before 1930.
since 1930.

Vote for D.
here we are talking about the quality of the work.
If the quality of work made for hotels after 1930's is better than that(quality of work of hotels built prior to 1930) then it definetly weakens the argument.

argument says that carpentry works done after 1930 are good in condition than earlier ones.
If the quality of work done for hotels prior to 1930 was better , it would have stayed in good condition. It would not have fallen into disuse and demolished.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- WEAKEN [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 09:32
subsequently.
argument?

Out of Scope as it doesn't talk about after and before 1930.

before 1930.

Hold on to this. The more guests will stay mean more usage means more damage to original carpentry work.

Strengthening the argument.

Out of Scope as it doesn't talk about after and before 1930.

since 1930.

Strengthening the argument.

IMO B
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- WEAKEN [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 09:37
chan4312 wrote:
subsequently.
argument?
before 1930.
since 1930.

Vote for D.
here we are talking about the quality of the work.
If the quality of work made for hotels after 1930's is better than that(quality of work of hotels built prior to 1930) then it definetly weakens the argument.

argument says that carpentry works done after 1930 are good in condition than earlier ones.
If the quality of work done for hotels prior to 1930 was better , it would have stayed in good condition. It would not have fallen into disuse and demolished.

Where do you see this? The reason I think D is out is because the main idea is aroun work before and after 1930 but D doesn't talk about any dates.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- WEAKEN [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 09:58
Yup u r right C is strengthening it what an duffer i am to miss this I will also go for B

Thanks for correcting me

rao_1857 wrote:
chan4312 wrote:
subsequently.
argument?
before 1930.
since 1930.

Where do you see this? The reason I think D is out is because the main idea is aroun work before and after 1930 but D doesn't talk about any dates.

AB

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 173 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR- WEAKEN [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 10:34
This post received
KUDOS
D
Assumption made : Difference in the quality of carpentery is because of the skills of the carpenters

This is a causal argument. X is caused only by Y . If we bring another reason Z to cause X we can weaken the argument.

i,e : We need an alternate reason (other than the skills of the carpenter )to explain why the quality of carpentery in hotels in 1930 is better

>>Irrelevant. We are talking about why quality of carpentery in hotels built earlier than 1930 are of better quality
before 1930.
>>same as A
>>>Irrelevant. We are talking about skills,care and efforts and not the material to decide the quality
D. The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished.
>>>BINGO. If the building has good quality of carpentery,buildings will survive for a longer period of time.This indicates buildings like these have better durability and that could come from different factors.
E. The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930.
>>>This strengthens the argument.Explaisn why carpenters in 1930 were better..
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- WEAKEN [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 13:25
I am going with D..the fact that hotel lasted since 1930 shows that it was purposely built to last long..who knows on avg how many hotels before 1930 have been torn down cause of dingy work...

D is best
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- WEAKEN [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2008, 07:39
Thank to everybody especially goalsnr for good explanation.

OA is D.

Re: CR- WEAKEN   [#permalink] 18 Jul 2008, 07:39