Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 17:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 07:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (02:17) correct 42% (01:54) wrong based on 42 sessions
Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that in those built before 1930
the quality of the original carpentry work is generally superior to that in hotels built afterward. Clearly carpenters
working on hotels before 1930 typically worked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have
worked on hotels built subsequently.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the guidebook writer’s argument?

(A) The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in
other structures, such as houses and stores.
(B) Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built before 1930.
(C) The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from
the materials available to carpenters working after 1930.
(D) The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and
be demolished.
(E) The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930.

can someone pls explain y E is not correct...
since avg apprenticeship decreases-> carpenter less skilled before becoming full fledged carpenter ->after 1930 carpenters less skillful
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 324

Kudos [?]: 1572 [0], given: 354

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: OG #114 [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 13:08
Expert's post
E strengthens the argument, but we need to find statement that weakens it the most....

NEW! GMAT ToolKit 2 (iOS) / GMAT ToolKit (Android) - The must have GMAT prep app | PrepGame

Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1978

Kudos [?]: 6402 [0], given: 3564

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: OG #114 [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 15:17
Expert's post
See here - discussed a number of times: search-results.xhtml?cx=009332468639467955845%3Ah-z9cduzcoi&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=Guidebook+writer%3A+I+have+visited+hotels+throughout+the+country&sa=Search#723

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 3

Re: OG #114 [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 21:07
E strengthens the argument..coz declined avg length of apprenticeship is the reason why carpenters working in hotels after 1930 work with less skill, care..

D weakens

consider cudos if you like my post

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 20:43
B shows that there is another reason which make the carpenter in the hotel bult after 1930 bad

clearly B is also a weakener.

pls help
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 58

CAT Tests
Re: Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 20:52
Premise: Carpentry in hotels built before 1930 were of better quality than that in hotels build afterwards.
Conclusion: Carpenters after 1930 worked with more Skill, Care and Efforts than those before.

To weaken the conclusion, you should be able to prove that carpentry before 1930 was good because of some different reasons than the factors of skill and care.

Option (E) tells that period of apprenticeship was longer before 1930. It means that carpentry was done with some more care and cautiousness. Still you cannot argue against the factors of skill, care, effort. Even if option (E) is correct, I can say that Workers after 1930 worked carelessly. Hence this option doesn't weaken the conclusion.

If you consider option (D), the whole reasoning turns to be baseless. If superior carpentry is vulnerable to disuse and demolition, then good carpentry is nowhere because it is being destroyed, Not because worker before 1930 were more careful.
Re: Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2012, 20:52