Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 07:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT / INSEAD / IIM - ABC
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [2] , given: 7

Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 19:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (02:38) correct 54% (01:34) wrong based on 375 sessions
Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish that gather beneath thin sheets of floating ice, and they nest on nearby lands. Guillemots need 80 consecutive snow free days in a year to raise their chicks, so until avrage temperature in arctic began to rise recently, the guillemots' range was limited to the southernmost arctic coast. Therefore, if the warming continues, the guillemots' range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward along the coast...

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the the argument?

A. Even if the warming trend continues, there will still be years in which guillemots chicks are killed by an unusually early snow.
B. If Arctic warming continues, guillemots' current predators are likely to succeed in extending their own range farther north
C. Guillemots nest in coastal areas, where tempratures are generally higher than inland areas.
D. If the Arctic warming continues much of the thin ice in southern arctic will disappear.
E. The fish that guillemots eat are currently preyed on by wider variety of predators in southernmost arctic regions than they are farther north.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by GODSPEED on 30 Jul 2012, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions - OG11E [Diag 26] [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 03:27
D for me.
If the warming continues, the range of the birds will either decrease or remain constant and NOT increase.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions - OG11E [Diag 26] [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 06:41
IMO B

D actually strengthens the argument.

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions - OG11E [Diag 26] [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 17:41
I would go with D.

If warming continues and thin ice in southern arctic disappears, birds would be displaced from south to north. So range is not extended.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 7

Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions - OG11E [Diag 26] [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 20:46
Debated over D & E....E seems to be a strong contender....why not E?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions - OG11E [Diag 26] [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 22:11
D for me as well
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions - OG11E [Diag 26] [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 23:00
B for me!

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions - OG11E [Diag 26] [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2009, 01:30
B for me.
Please post the OA.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions - OG11E [Diag 26] [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2009, 01:51
i think (a).
the argument depends on the assumption that as warming continues, there will be more 80 conseutive snow-free days which will increase the population. however, going from 40 snow days and 40 snow-free days to 79 snow-free days and 1 snow day is still considered warming, but the chicks won't survive because of that 1 snow day.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions - OG11E [Diag 26] [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2009, 02:05
i think there is too much assumption with this one. Also it is talking about range expansion. The population need not expand for the range to expand.

seongbae wrote:
i think (a).
the argument depends on the assumption that as warming continues, there will be more 80 conseutive snow-free days which will increase the population. however, going from 40 snow days and 40 snow-free days to 79 snow-free days and 1 snow day is still considered warming, but the chicks won't survive because of that 1 snow day.

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 7

Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions - OG11E [Diag 26] [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 07:27
OA is D.....

Why not E? Can anybody explain? I do have my reasons......but want to be doubly sure.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions - OG11E [Diag 26] [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 09:02
GODSPEED wrote:
OA is D.....

Why not E? Can anybody explain? I do have my reasons......but want to be doubly sure.

Cheers!

In the weaken type of question it is important to correctly identify a conclusion and then attack it. It is a mistake to attack premises of the argument (at least for GMAT). in our question the conclusion is:

Therefore, if the warming continues, the guillemots' range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward along the coast...

So the correct answer would be undermining that "the birds' range will be enlarged"
Try to read E. Does the fact that the fish eaten by guillemots is also eaten by other predators in the southernmost (where the bird live now) threaten their existense/spread to the north? NO. Instead it highlights that there more predators in the southernmost and states that the birds will have more food ie less competition in the north. So it sounds more like a supporting answer to me rather than a weakening one.

E. The fish that guillemots eat are currently preyed on by wider variety of predators in southernmost arctic regions than they are farther north.

Hope my clarification was coherent.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 33

Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions - OG11E [Diag 26] [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 21:11
Trickiest question ever..

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions - OG11E [Diag 26] [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 04:47
The keyword here is snow free not snow filled.. Haha

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions - OG11E [Diag 26] [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 05:15
E) actually strengthens right? It says in the southernmost region there are more predators than in north. All the more reason to move north for the guillemots as is put forward by the claim.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 281 [1] , given: 11

Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions - OG11E [Diag 26] [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 05:42
This post received
KUDOS
Lets analyze the answer choices and see which one stands scrutiny. To find the choice which weakens the argument, we need to select the choice that provides evidence that the birds' range will not be extended.

(A): The keyword here is 'still'. If there are years now when the chicks are being killed by early snow, has it wiped out the birds? No. Therefore if conditions are favorable it cannot act as an impediment to their range expansion. Incorrect.
(B): Guillemots have been co-existing with their predators where they currently live. If the predators migrate northwards, why will this stop the birds from doing so too? Incorrect.
(C): If temperatures are rising then they will be higher than they are now in inland areas too, possibly allowing the birds to live there. Incorrect.
(D): CORRECT. If the ice in the southern arctic disappears, the birds will be forced to move northwards. However, their RANGE will not be extended as they will just shift from a more southern to a more northern point. There is no evidence that says that they will live over longer stretches of land.
(E): This means there will be more fish for the birds to eat in the North. This supports the conclusion that they will move north and extend their range.

GyanOne | http://www.GyanOne.com | +91 9899831738

Get a free detailed MBA profile evaluation

Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions blog

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions - OG11E [Diag 26] [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 02:19
go with D
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q48 V35
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 14

Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2013, 05:04
This post received
KUDOS
an explanation could be since the premise says "Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish that gather beneath thin sheets of floating ice, and they nest on nearby lands." --> D suggests that if this ice has melted, it becomes easier to feed on fishes hence no reason to move northward
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 40

Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2013, 17:02
ashwintthomas wrote:
an explanation could be since the premise says "Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish that gather beneath thin sheets of floating ice, and they nest on nearby lands." --> D suggests that if this ice has melted, it becomes easier to feed on fishes hence no reason to move northward

I read it as they feed on fish that gather beneath thin sheets of floating ice; if those sheets of ice disappear then so too do those fish they feed on. This would actually prevent them from expanding their range.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 560 Q49 V19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

CAT Tests
Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2013, 19:34
I choose D.
First, I will break down the stimulus.
Premise 1: Guillemots feed on fish beneath thin sheets of floating ice, and nest on nearby lands.
Premise 2: Guillemots need 80 consecutive snow free days to raise their chicks, presently, the guillemots' range was limited to the southernmost arctic coast.
Conclusion: if the warming continues, the guillemots' range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward along the coast.
We can see that this is a Cause n Effect reasoning. The warming => the guillemots' range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward

This is a weaken question type and we must identify an answer which shows that when the cause occurs, the effect doesnt occur or reversely or find an alternative cause for the effect...just as the method of CR Bible.
A) Even if the warming trend continues, there will still be years in which guillemots chicks are killed by an unusually early snow.
=> This doesnt effect the conclusion much because the conclusion tells us the guillemots come to grow in the northward.
B) If Arctic warming continues, guillemots' current predators are likely to succeed in extending their own range farther north
=> It is too far if we infer that guillemots' current predators succeeded in moving farther north and control the population of the guillemots there. And in this answer, the word is "likely" not "surely".
C) Guillemots nest in coastal areas, where tempratures are generally higher than inland areas.
=> OOS. The argument makes no statement about inland areas or any comparision between inland n costal areas.
D) If the Arctic warming continues much of the thin ice in southern arctic will disappear.
=> Thin ice disappear => birth moves from south to north, So, the guillemots' range wont be enlarged. This shows that when the cause occurs the effect doesnot occur. So it is a Contender.
E) The fish that guillemots eat are currently preyed on by wider variety of predators in southernmost arctic regions than they are farther north.
=> This actually strengthens the argument. Because the fish is more abundant in the north. if the birds move to the north, they will surely enlarge their range.

D is the correct answer.

Hope it helps.
Re: Guillemots are birds for arctic regions. They feed on fish   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2013, 19:34