Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 05:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Guillemots are birds of Arctic regions. They feed on fish

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 75 [1] , given: 5

Guillemots are birds of Arctic regions. They feed on fish [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 10:55
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

61% (02:26) correct 38% (01:23) wrong based on 13 sessions
Guillemots are birds of Arctic regions. They feed on fish that gather beneath thin sheets of floating ice, and they nest on
nearby land. Guillemots need 80 consecutive snow-free days in a year to raise their chicks, so until average temperatures
in the Arctic began to rise recently, the guillemots’ range was limited to the southernmost Arctic coast. Therefore, if the
warming continues, the guillemots’ range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward along the coast.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

(A) Even if the warming trend continues, there will still be years in which guillemot chicks are killed by an unusually
early snow.
(B) If the Arctic warming continues, guillemots’ current predators are likely to succeed in extending their own range
farther north.
(C) Guillemots nest in coastal areas, where temperatures are generally higher than in inland areas.
(D) If the Arctic warming continues, much of the thin ice in the southern Arctic will disappear.
(E) The fish that guillemots eat are currently preyed on by a wider variety of predators in the southernmost Arctic
regions than they are farther north.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The OA is D, but I don't understand why it's not B. The argument is that the guillemots will start living further north as the weather continues to get warmer. (D) states that if the warming continues, the thin ice in the south will disappear. This would mean that the birds could not stay in the south - suggesting that they would move north to find new food. This seems like it strengthens the argument, not weakens it. (B) says that if the warming continues, the birds' natural predators will move north, which seems to me would help keep the birds from moving north. That would weaken the argument that the birds are going to move north. Why isn't it (B)?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by TehJay on 03 Sep 2010, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Guillemots [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 20:37
I go with D here.....Its given that birds feed on the fish that gather beneath the ice => they need the ice to stand on to feed the fish. If the ice in the southern arctic disappear, the birds population in the southern region would dwindle, but the premise says "the guillemots’ range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward"....which means the population should extend towards north not just move towards north!
Hope its clear!!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 104

Re: Guillemots [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 22:33
D it is. Great question. B clearly says that the predators extend the range and it means the range did extend.
1 KUDOS received
Tuck Thread Master
Schools: Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 86 [1] , given: 69

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guillemots [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 00:01
This post received
KUDOS
I remember those peculiar birds, there was another discussion earlier - og-diagnostic-89799.html
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guillemots [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 01:08
D seems right
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guillemots [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 03:47
I also selected D with the same thinking as Psychomath. But OA is B.

Trying hard to achieve something unachievable now....

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 5

Re: Guillemots [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 05:15
psychomath wrote:
I go with D here.....Its given that birds feed on the fish that gather beneath the ice => they need the ice to stand on to feed the fish. If the ice in the southern arctic disappear, the birds population in the southern region would dwindle, but the premise says "the guillemots’ range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward"....which means the population should extend towards north not just move towards north!
Hope its clear!!

But that means you're picking (D) because it AGREES with the argument that they'll be extending north - they need to go north to find more food! The question is asking for a choice that will WEAKEN the argument that they'll be extending north...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 1

Re: Guillemots [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 08:53
This post received
KUDOS
No TehJay, psychomatch is right. The answer should be D because the paragraph says the birds range will be increased as the warming temperature means they can continue to live in the south as well as go further up north. so the total area they live in will be increased. But according to D, as it warms up, the south will no longer have the thin ice where the bird's food (the fish) can be found. So the birds will no longer stay in the south, and maybe move up north, so the total area they live in is not necessarily increased. I hope this is clearer.

Please give Kudos if you like my post

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 1

Re: Guillemots [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 08:54
dkverma wrote:
I also selected D with the same thinking as Psychomath. But OA is B.

I think there was a mistake in the post by TehJay. The official answer is D, not B. Refer to the first spoiler section by TehJay where he/she describes that he/she thought the answer was B but the official answer was D.

Please give Kudos if you like my post

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 5

Re: Guillemots [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 09:40
hetalcs wrote:
No TehJay, psychomatch is right. The answer should be D because the paragraph says the birds range will be increased as the warming temperature means they can continue to live in the south as well as go further up north. so the total area they live in will be increased. But according to D, as it warms up, the south will no longer have the thin ice where the bird's food (the fish) can be found. So the birds will no longer stay in the south, and maybe move up north, so the total area they live in is not necessarily increased. I hope this is clearer.

Wow, that is really tricky. I didn't interpret the passage in that way at all. Thanks!

Sorry about the mistake in the original post, I edited in the correct OA.
Re: Guillemots   [#permalink] 03 Sep 2010, 09:40