Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Guillemots are birds of Arctic regions. They feed on fish

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 7

Guillemots are birds of Arctic regions. They feed on fish [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 12:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

61% (01:39) correct 39% (02:21) wrong based on 26 sessions
Guillemots are birds of Arctic regions. They feed on fish that gather beneath thin sheets of floating ice, and they nest on
nearby land. Guillemots need 80 consecutive snow-free days in a year to raise their chicks, so until average temperatures
in the Arctic began to rise recently, the guillemots’ range was limited to the southernmost Arctic coast. Therefore, if the
warming continues, the guillemots’ range will probably be enlarged by being extended northward along the coast.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?
(A) Even if the warming trend continues, there will still be years in which guillemot chicks are killed by an unusually
early snow.
(B) If the Arctic warming continues, guillemots’ current predators are likely to succeed in extending their own range
farther north.
(C) Guillemots nest in coastal areas, where temperatures are generally higher than in inland areas.
(D) If the Arctic warming continues, much of the thin ice in the southern Arctic will disappear.
(E) The fish that guillemots eat are currently preyed on by a wider variety of predators in the southernmost Arctic
regions than they are farther north.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think you can,you can
If you think you can't,you are right.

Tuck Thread Master
Schools: Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 69

Re: OG Diagnostic [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 13:44
Thinking about (D):
Quote:
(D) If the Arctic warming continues, much of the thin ice in the southern Arctic will disappear.

If these birds prey on special kind of fish, it's logical to assume, that without this fish guillemots won't be able to maintain current habitat.

So, if thin ice in southern arctics disappears guillemots will be forced to move north. It won't be the enlargement of guillemots' range, rather simply movement to better place.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: OG Diagnostic [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 22:39
This post received
KUDOS
B

gullimots predators will move north which weakens the conclusion I think.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Queen's E-MBA

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 7

Re: OG Diagnostic [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2010, 11:14
This post received
KUDOS
pjalan wrote:
B

gullimots predators will move north which weakens the conclusion I think.

between B & D, latter looks more correct as B says about extension of range of guillemots' predator but that doesn't weaken the conclusion as the argument in D. Spreading of predators will be a deterrent but if there is no food available in the southern coast they are bound to move northwards, daring the predator.

Whereas D is a better answer since it clearly refutes the concept of enlargement and imposes the idea that their dewelling has to move northwards due to lack of availability of food in south. :P

------------------
Please give KUDOS if you like the post

Please give KUDOS if you like the post

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 1

Re: OG Diagnostic [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 05:32
Answer should be D
if the thin ice over sounthern Arctic dissapears,why would the birds even try to expand their range along the north
D wins
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 16

Re: OG Diagnostic [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 07:34
my bet is C.
(C) if the birds stay in coastal region, they might still prefer staying south, because there will be even more snow-free days.

I considered A and B as well.
(A) It requires a little too much to assume. Warmer temp would bring more snow-less days, but there is no hint about an early snow.

(B) if the predators move north, birds are not gonna like it and might hesitate moving. But it is the interdependent thing, which bothers me here.

(D) not because, the birds eat on fish, which hide beneath those sheets. If that disappears, they'd definitely move north.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 6

Re: OG Diagnostic [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 20:09
IMO B

what is OA?
4 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 744 [4] , given: 11

Re: OG Diagnostic [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2010, 18:11
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

Enough questions enough that I figured it might be worth my weighing in. As any good instructor would, I'm going to focus on the passage first.

Conclusion: Warming will extend Guillemots range north

Premises: Guillemots feed on fish beneath ice, nesting nearby. Need snow-free area to raise chicks. Area is warming, particularly north.

Assumption: Something other than the warming will keep them from extending range.

We know the assumption will be this limited, because otherwise the argument is solid (i.e. if the warm area is expanding, and they can live in warm weather, then obviously their range will expand).

(A) Even if the warming trend continues, there will still be years in which guillemot chicks are killed by an unusually early snow.
Problem: This has no connection to the issue of range, because this would happen anywhere.

(B) If the Arctic warming continues, guillemots’ current predators are likely to succeed in extending their own range farther north.
Problem: In a number of answer choices here, the question is trying to trick you into thinking that the conclusion is that the guillemots will THRIVE in the new areas. But that's not the conclusion. The conclusion is merely that the range of areas in which they can survive will expand. This has no effect on that. The same predators joining them in the new area will result in much the same lifestyle the guillemots already have (same predators).

(C) Guillemots nest in coastal areas, where temperatures are generally higher than in inland areas.
Problem: This doesn't affect the conclusion, which is that the increasing temperatures ELSEWHERE will expand the range of the guillemots.

Answer: This one may look out of scope, but remember that scope isn't really an issue on strengthen/weaken questions; you're allowed to bring in other information. If the thin ice disappears, then the guillemots will not be able to expand their habitat, because they survive on the fish that live under the ice. This relates to their ability to expand. To contrast with B, the predators are THE SAME in the new area or the old. In D, the food source is DIFFERENT (worse) in the new area, which weakens the conclusion.

(E) The fish that guillemots eat are currently preyed on by a wider variety of predators in the southernmost Arctic regions than they are farther north.
Problem: This actually strengthens the argument, because the guillemots are planning to move north. fewer predators means a better chance of succeeding.

Hope that helps!

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 51

Re: OG Diagnostic [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2011, 07:40
i got this one wrong . the question is trying to trick ... and the wording is vague.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: OG Diagnostic [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2011, 07:57
Tussle between B and D. Actually went for B since I interpreted that since predators will be at the northern part the birds won't move there.But thats too much of assumption. Hence wrong.
OA should be D.
Great question.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

Re: Guillemots are birds of Arctic regions. They feed on fish [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 06:53
I understand (D) perfectly. But can someone please explain why fish under the ice will disappear because of melting ice?

Quote:
Answer: This one may look out of scope, but remember that scope isn't really an issue on strengthen/weaken questions; you're allowed to bring in other information. If the thin ice disappears, then the guillemots will not be able to expand their habitat, because they survive on the fish that live under the ice. This relates to their ability to expand. To contrast with B, the predators are THE SAME in the new area or the old. In D, the food source is DIFFERENT (worse) in the new area, which weakens the conclusion

We have to assume that fish needs ice in order to survive. But that's just another assumption.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 543

Re: Guillemots are birds of Arctic regions. They feed on fish [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2013, 02:50
What would be the difficulty level of this question I picked B...

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 550 Q47 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q48 V27
GPA: 3.7
WE: Other (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 42

Re: Guillemots are birds of Arctic regions. They feed on fish [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2014, 01:53
fozzzy wrote:
What would be the difficulty level of this question I picked B...

The difficulty level of the question is "Devilish" according to MGMAT OG Archer Lite :)
Re: Guillemots are birds of Arctic regions. They feed on fish   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2014, 01:53