Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Guru's pleas advice: require last month strategy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Guru's pleas advice: require last month strategy [#permalink] New post 08 May 2010, 16:33
I have signed up to take the GMAT on Jun 12th (planned it so that I can happily enjoy the world cup football)

I would really like a 700 +
currently am scoring between 630 range (MGMAT exams, semi-timed, I pause the time sometimes, maybe 2-3 times an exam).

I require advice on what I should do for the last month:

a. Should I resolve all OG questions (I did keep an error log - so maybe the incorrect ones)
- really struggle on the 700-800 level questions, how much importance should I be giving them.

b. Should I do questions set from Kaplan (never touched the book or exams)
- some friends recommend doing Kaplan question sets since they harder .....so will improve my overall standard

c. Solve OG 11 ( I have pretty much completed OG12 but also have OG 11 lying around)

d. keep taking exams from different sources

what would be the best practice

Thanks,
D
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2294

Kudos [?]: 9036 [0], given: 3676

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Guru's pleas advice: require last month strategy [#permalink] New post 08 May 2010, 17:08
Expert's post
I am not a big advocate of practice questions.

I doubt you can really improve 70 points in a month by just doing a bunch of practice questions. Unless you haven't done the questions before really, I would suggest you do a deep dive into grammar and arithmetic.

Just my 2 cents

Posted from my mobile device Image

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 723 [0], given: 40

Re: Guru's pleas advice: require last month strategy [#permalink] New post 08 May 2010, 19:18
Hi,

I am in the same boat. I need some guidance on my retake on 24th June 2010. My first GMAT score was 640(Q46, V31), Nov 2007. I have done two tests each on GMATPrep and MGMAT and the respective scores are:

GMAT Prep1: 620 (Q48, V27)
MGMAT 1: 670 (Q45, V36), 89%
GMAT Prep2: 650 (Q46, V34)
MGMAT 2: 700 (Q47, V39), 93%

I am comfortable on Quant, CR and SC but RC is bit difficult for me. I tried to take notes but found impractical in my case. I have finished OG(10 & 12), Kaplan and Manhattan SC and I have started revision with OGs/Manhattan first.

Can you please provide me some insights on what would be my final score range and what strategy should I follow?

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

Re: Guru's pleas advice: require last month strategy [#permalink] New post 09 May 2010, 09:35
bb wrote:
I would suggest you do a deep dive into grammar and arithmetic.

bb, what do you mean by that?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Guru's pleas advice: require last month strategy [#permalink] New post 09 May 2010, 09:49
Yup exactly what does that entail?
Should I go back to learning key concepts by going through the theory in the books again or should I practice, practice, practice.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: Guru's pleas advice: require last month strategy [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 21:11
divanshuj wrote:
Yup exactly what does that entail?
Should I go back to learning key concepts by going through the theory in the books again or should I practice, practice, practice.

i think he means back to basics. If you kept an error log you should know what areas you are weak at - so instead of just do practice questions you might want to focus on improving on your weaknesses through basics and perhaps questions on only those topics. 630 is a range where you get some basics but need to improve to go over the hump - so you probably wont be needing an overhaul but just improve on your weaknesses....

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2294

Kudos [?]: 9036 [0], given: 3676

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Guru's pleas advice: require last month strategy [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 21:26
Expert's post
nonameee wrote:
bb wrote:
I would suggest you do a deep dive into grammar and arithmetic.

bb, what do you mean by that?

shaselai is absolutely correct.

Get a good arithmetic book and do a deep dive and also get a good grammar book to revisit the underlying rules.
Think of GMAT as a pyramid or a 3-story house. First level is to master the basics, second level is to master the questions and stop making silly mistakes (learn to check questions, common traps, strategies for different types of questions, etc), and third level is to master test-taking techniques (timing and stamina, etc) . Most people jump into the second and third level right away forgetting about the first one, which plagues them all along the way.

Here is a graphical representation to give you an idea

Attachments

gmat pyramid.gif
gmat pyramid.gif [ 12.6 KiB | Viewed 693 times ]

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

Re: Guru's pleas advice: require last month strategy [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 22:11
Thanks for clarification.

Re: Guru's pleas advice: require last month strategy   [#permalink] 10 May 2010, 22:11