Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

H1B - F1: How do you play this game?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: H1B - F1: How do you play this game? [#permalink] New post 06 May 2008, 12:49
I believe it is the same for Ross as well.

kk.iyer wrote:
Another...piece of info regarding this....

It turns out that all I have to do is send in all documents duly signed back to the international office and they are the ones actually filing it to USCIS. It obviously means that the docs will be reviewed before hand :wink:
I dunno if this is the case for all univ's but it certainly is..for mine.

The international office files it with the USCIS...the receipt for which should reach the international office 2-3 weeks from the date of filing. Once the receipt is received...I can stop working anytime within 30 days from start date (1st August)

To play it safe...I'll send in my resignation only after the receipt is in with my last day as the 7th of July.

Hope this helped...Good Luck...all...

Mods..maybe you should add this to the vault for future applicants. Specifics will change with each school but should be the same for the most part.

arjun666 wrote:
Else, you can enquire with your school if you can enroll and start classes when a COS is pending. This way you can convert to F1 within the US. I think kk's post has covered all the documents needed to file a COS petition (saves more than 1000 bucks in attorney fees!!!!! :-D )
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: H1B - F1: How do you play this game? [#permalink] New post 08 May 2008, 08:36
In that case...do you have templates for the two letters that we'd need to send?
Could you source it from someone/where?
dosa_don wrote:
Current Student

Re: H1B - F1: How do you play this game? [#permalink] New post 08 May 2008, 09:07
I dont have any right now but shall see if I can find some. I have not yet received my I20 though, so dont know when I would apply for my COS- possibly early June.

kk.iyer wrote:
In that case...do you have templates for the two letters that we'd need to send?
dosa_don wrote:
Manager
Manager

Re: H1B - F1: How do you play this game? [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 11:59
Got my I-20 this weekend..now wondering how to structure that letter....
Let me know if you find something....Cheers

And yeah that OPT extension thingy...it is not applicable to us MBAs..confirmed :(

dosa_don wrote:
I dont have any right now but shall see if I can find some. I have not yet received my I20 though, so dont know when I would apply for my COS- possibly early June.

kk.iyer wrote:
dosa_don wrote:
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: H1B - F1: How do you play this game? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 05:29
I will go for COS, if the school allows to join while the application is pending with USCIS

Is there a premium processing for COS applications?

Last edited by Ozmba on 13 May 2008, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Re: H1B - F1: How do you play this game? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 12:34
To the best of my knowledge..there is no such thing as a premium CoS.
Ozmba wrote:
I will go for COS, if school allows to join if the application is pending

Is there a premium processing for COS applications?
VP
VP

Re: H1B - F1: How do you play this game? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 16:39
Yes Iyer..Just found out from my lawyer...No premium processing for COS and current wait time for COS-to-F1 is 5 months at vermont...
Manager
Manager

Re: H1B - F1: How do you play this game? [#permalink] New post 16 May 2008, 13:16
OK I managed to create drafts of my own since I couldn't find samples. I've confirmed with the international office that the letters address all points necessary.

I thought I'll share this here since there will be some of us now and many in future that might need something like this.

Cheers.
Attachments

Sample_Letter to USCIS.doc [23 KiB]
Downloaded 74 times

To download please login or register as a user

Sample_Letter From Employer.doc [24 KiB]
Downloaded 94 times

To download please login or register as a user

VP
VP

Re: H1B - F1: How do you play this game? [#permalink] New post 16 May 2008, 17:36
Is the letter from the Employer compulsory?
Manager
Manager

Re: H1B - F1: How do you play this game? [#permalink] New post 16 May 2008, 19:40
The folks at the international office said it is, but I've heard that it really isn't.
you might want to check with the person filing your CoS first.
Ozmba wrote:
Is the letter from the Employer compulsory?
VP
VP

Re: H1B - F1: How do you play this game? [#permalink] New post 17 May 2008, 15:33
Spoke with the Attorney, letter from Employer is needed..
Current Student

Re: H1B - F1: How do you play this game? [#permalink] New post 19 May 2008, 06:27
Do we need to go on CPT to do our internship. I know a bunch of us plan to go through the COS but I just heard from a friend about a rule regarding CPT. The rule states that you should have been on F1 status for 9 months or 1 academic year. So, if we apply for a COS sometime now, we will probably get the official COS done only by Oct/Nov. Most internships start in June, so it will be cutting it really close.

Well UM's site has this on their website:

To be eligible for CPT, you must:

Have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for one academic year (i.e. two full consecutive terms). If you are a graduate student and the program requires immediate participation, this requirement is waived.
Be in lawful F-1 status
Have U-M approved health insurance
Have a job offer
Not be enrolled in an intensive English language training program

while other schools have defined point 1- the one academic year requirement as 9 months of F1.

Anyone have any insight on this?
VP
VP

Re: H1B - F1: How do you play this game? [#permalink] New post 19 May 2008, 17:57
Quote:
Do we need to go on CPT to do our internship. I know a bunch of us plan to go through the COS but I just heard from a friend about a rule regarding CPT. The rule states that you should have been on F1 status for 9 months or 1 academic year. So, if we apply for a COS sometime now, we will probably get the official COS done only by Oct/Nov. Most internships start in June, so it will be cutting it really close.

hmm interesting ...

we should check with a current student who took this route before ...
VP
VP

Re: H1B - F1: How do you play this game? [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 08:31
I am filing COS through my Attorney today

how are things dosa, arjun? have u guys started the process?
Current Student

Re: H1B - F1: How do you play this game? [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 10:33
I have not- I will probably do so sometime in mid June.

Ozmba wrote:
I am filing COS through my Attorney today

how are things dosa, arjun? have u guys started the process?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: H1B - F1: How do you play this game? [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 17:52
I just arrived in India a couple of days back...Will be attending the interview at the chennai consulate early next week. Will let you know how things went....Based on all the visa interview feedback I have received from the Krannert fall'08 orkut community, its been smooth sailing for all the students so far....I have a full scholarship, so I hope that helps counter the fact that i have stayed in the US for quite some time....
Manager
Manager

Re: H1B - F1: How do you play this game? [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 08:57
And I sent in all required documentation early last week to the international office.
I'll be calling them to confirm that they received it and then wait...for around 2 weeks so that they get their receipt from USCIS. It is only then that I plan to tender my resgination.
VP
VP

Re: H1B - F1: How do you play this game? [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 10:23
kk.iyer wrote:
And I sent in all required documentation early last week to the international office.
I'll be calling them to confirm that they received it and then wait...for around 2 weeks so that they get their receipt from USCIS. It is only then that I plan to tender my resgination.

Is the school filing the COS application?
VP
VP

Re: H1B - F1: How do you play this game? [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 10:23
arjun666 wrote:
I just arrived in India a couple of days back...Will be attending the interview at the chennai consulate early next week. Will let you know how things went....Based on all the visa interview feedback I have received from the Krannert fall'08 orkut community, its been smooth sailing for all the students so far....I have a full scholarship, so I hope that helps counter the fact that i have stayed in the US for quite some time....

All the best ........
Manager
Manager

Re: H1B - F1: How do you play this game? [#permalink] New post 28 May 2008, 11:16
Yes they are....I had to send in the USCIS check, SEVIS receipt etc....
Ozmba wrote:
Is the school filing the COS application?
Re: H1B - F1: How do you play this game?   [#permalink] 28 May 2008, 11:16