Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 08:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

H1b to F1 with I140 approved

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

H1b to F1 with I140 approved [#permalink] New post 19 May 2007, 10:51
I plan on applying to B-schools for 2008, and just stumbled across something on businees week forums that has set me worrying.
This is regarding the change of visa status from H1B to F1

My company had started my labour certification process, and I had my I1140 approved
last year. I read on business week forums that once I have applied for/have approved I140, it is not possible to get an F1 (because an F1 requires you to show an intent of returning back to your home country once you are done with school, and I140 shows my intent for permanent residency. There is a box on F1 application forms which asks if you have ever applied for an immigrant visa, with an explicit reference to I140)

Anyone else in the same boat who thinks different ?

Bweek had ~70 posts with people sharing same concerns, and the conclusion they seem to have come upon is that it is NOT possible to get an F1 after applying for I140 untill you get your green card.
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 May 2007, 15:36
I am not in the same boat but I am familiar with the situation. There is obviously a risk (dont think it is as high as they are making it sound on b-week). Here is a response a friend of mine received regarding this from the US consulate:

It will be looked at by the interviewing officer and your intentions will be discussed. Shouldn't have much effect."

I think this will become more of an issue if you require an F-1 visa stamp (i.e if you travel out of the country and need a visa to re-enter) than a status change. The interviewing officer may question your motives and intent
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

sounds good .. [#permalink] New post 19 May 2007, 16:08
Thanks, this gives me hope ! I got a chance to speak with s'one having the same issue, he is going to India for his F1 stamping in June. The obvious and probably the best reasoning one can give in the visa interview is that one is already giving up on I140, showing education, not GC is one's priority.

The statement from the US counselate is definitely re-assuring.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 May 2007, 16:48
I read in Friday's paper (Times of India, May-18 for curious fellow Indians like me) that the US is considering offering a green card to any foreigner who earns a Master's Degree from an American University! I think they are calling it the Skilled Worker Immigration and Fairness Act. If the rules are going to be changed sometime soon then there's no reason for worry :wink:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 May 2007, 09:34
vikramjit, can you please provide the link, the story is hard to believe, some congressman may have raised the issue but I don't think the proposal has any legs
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 May 2007, 09:57
Quote:
the story is hard to believe

I thought this might happen :)
I don't read the newspaper online but this is the link for it:
http://epaper.indiatimes.com/
Remember it's Times of India, May-18 you are looking for (Pg. 10 or 11!)

Also of interest:
http://www.swnebr.net/newspaper/cgi-bin ... .pl?160701
Read the paragraph immediately after the bullet-ed points.

Have fun reading it. Whether this happens or not, it seems the US will become friendlier to foriegn students from developing countries - The name of the act might imply fariness to workers but it's really trying to say it makes economic sense for US companies.
  [#permalink] 22 May 2007, 09:57