Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Haas Ap w/ Low GPA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 40

Haas Ap w/ Low GPA? [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2013, 08:27
I've noticed that for a lot of the comparably ranked schools, the 80% GPA range could start anywhere as low as 2.9 to 3.1... but for Haas, the 80% range starts at a whopping 3.3.

I clocked in at a not-so-solid 3.1 from a state school, and while I'm currently developing an alternate transcript, I'm afraid that my 3.1 would disqualify me from Haas. (I got an A in Precal, an A in calculus, and an A- in Statistics) This is a shame to me because I currently live in California, work in Finance, and would love to pay in-state tuition at Haas and end up in San Fran. My GMAT is a 740, so it isn't that it's a complete shot in the dark... but I'm afraid I might be far more competitive at schools like Duke, Chicago, or Columbia that are similarly ranked but put far more emphasis on the gmat and dip into the 2.9 range on their 80% GPA range. Should I even bother applying?

Also, does Haas favor california residents?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Haas '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 1

Re: Haas Ap w/ Low GPA? [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 13:56
This might be a cop out answer, but it really depends on the strength of the rest of your profile. 1 out of 10 Haas students had below a 3.3 (that’s about 24 enrolled students per class). Why should you be one of them? If you have a compelling story about your GPA and undergrad experience (did you work during school? Play a D1 sport? Were you the first-generation in your family to attend college?) I think you should apply, especially if you want to end up in the Bay Area. Your high GMAT score helps, as does having a good alternate transcript. Your work experience, extracurriculars, essays, and recommendations will have to be strong, but I think it’s worth it if you think you’d be a good fit for the school.

Keep in mind though that in-state tuition at Haas is an almost insignificant discount from full tuition: this year’s total cost of attendance is $80,838 for out-of-state and $78,291 for in-state. Haas does this to be competitive with the top private MBA programs (and I suspect to keep it sheltered from exposure to California’s budget issues) -- it seems like the school runs itself more like a private institution than a public one.

On that note, I don’t think California residents are given any specific favor, but I could be wrong. Roughly a quarter of full-time MBA students hail from California (18% from the bay area alone) according to this student survey: http://haas.berkeley.edu/MBA/studentlife/survey.html. Anecdotally, that home-region percentage sounds similar to regional admit rates at other top schools, but I don’t have any data to back that up.

Good luck!
Re: Haas Ap w/ Low GPA?   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2013, 13:56