Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 06:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2012, 23:30
I suppose if we didn't get notice of an entrance scholarship in Stephanie's admission call, then our only hope is in those special awards you can apply for after admission (which I understand are few)...

Anyone have insight on the money availability? Last year's thread seems to indicate lots of people got $ at the time of their admissions call, though none reported on here this year. Has anyone asked about this? (other than the Consortium scholarships which I understand are decided on around 3/20).

Am thrilled to be in at Haas - definitely my top choice - but it's hard to say no to a (nearly) full ride at Anderson, especially since I'm an international student so loans will be hard to come by...
Haas Thread Master
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE: Design (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2012, 10:29
So this might be the wrong time to ask this questions but I still hope to get some insight. I am visiting Haas in few weeks and I am thinking about writing about my experience at Haas. I will write about that on this website and on my blog. Do you think that will affect my application? I will be applying for Fall 2013 intake. Please share you honest opinion.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2012, 12:52
Any R1 waitlisters hear anything back yet?

I heard that updates could come out in early March, as soon R2 admissions offers are given...

Last edited by berkeleyorbust on 05 Mar 2012, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2012, 16:48
berkeleyorbust wrote:

Wont be any updates until the end of March unfortunately :(
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2012, 18:42
Does anyone have recommendations on outside scholarships and grants beyond those associated/offered by Haas? I am an Asian American with interests in entrepreneurship.
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2012, 02:01
Do any of you admitted in R2 still have "Application Under Review" showing on your status?
I got the admissions call and the subsequent stock emails, but am yet to receive an official admit letter/ email or admit pack. Is this standard?
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS '15, Haas '14 (S)

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2012, 10:24
Yup I am in the same boat. Have received several emails after the admit call but no official letter or status change.

scielle wrote:
Do any of you admitted in R2 still have "Application Under Review" showing on your status?
I got the admissions call and the subsequent stock emails, but am yet to receive an official admit letter/ email or admit pack. Is this standard?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 5

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 05:49
R3 applicant - just got my "Application in Review" email and I applied on the application deadline. They must be burning the midnight oil reviewing those applications now! Are we thinking the invites start going out this week or next?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 08:37
johnnymac wrote:
R3 applicant - just got my "Application in Review" email and I applied on the application deadline. They must be burning the midnight oil reviewing those applications now! Are we thinking the invites start going out this week or next?

Some invites have already been sent out last week, but I suppose we can expect a lot more this week!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
WE: Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 09:03
Need some advice from everyone.

I was just put on the waitlist w/out interview,..in addition to scheduling an interview and hopefully submitting a third recommendation,..I'm also planning on submitting another essay. I'm having a very hard time deciding what the focus of the essay should be.

On the one hand,..I have an interesting personal background coming from a wartorn country, and i can discuss how my upbringing shaped my decisions in life and helped me overcome challenges. I think this would be a compelling story that could certainly make me stand out from fellow waitlisters.

On the other hand,..because I'm a Consortium applicant, I never had the opportunity to write an essay (or part of an essay) on the "Why Haas". So discussing how Haas in particular fits with my career goals seems to make sense as well.

A third option of course is some kind of hybrid,..the risk is it may not be as focused an essay.

I don't know exactly what the Adcoms felt was missing from my App,...it could be lack of personalization w/ my career goals and Haas, or it could be they just don't know enough about me as a person.

What do you guys think?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 10:11
Right now I'm leaning toward answering the "greatest accomplishment" essay (I already answered 3 of the 5 short answer essays in my App), then hopefully try to address the "why haas" in the interview.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 13:41
mooze wrote:

I was just put on the waitlist w/out interview,..in addition to scheduling an interview and hopefully submitting a third recommendation,..I'm also planning on submitting another essay. I'm having a very hard time deciding what the focus of the essay should be.

On the one hand,..I have an interesting personal background coming from a wartorn country, and i can discuss how my upbringing shaped my decisions in life and helped me overcome challenges. I think this would be a compelling story that could certainly make me stand out from fellow waitlisters.

On the other hand,..because I'm a Consortium applicant, I never had the opportunity to write an essay (or part of an essay) on the "Why Haas". So discussing how Haas in particular fits with my career goals seems to make sense as well.

A third option of course is some kind of hybrid,..the risk is it may not be as focused an essay.

I don't know exactly what the Adcoms felt was missing from my App,...it could be lack of personalization w/ my career goals and Haas, or it could be they just don't know enough about me as a person.

What do you guys think?

I'd go with the "why Haas", showing that it is your first choice, and you have a good fit with its culture and values.
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 14:45

I heard that updates could come out in early March, as soon R2 admissions offers are given...
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 15:31
mooze wrote:

What do you guys think?

I would recommend writing an essay on "Why Haas." Haas cares a lot about how you fit into their culture, maybe more so than other schools. You can probably be creative and include your unique background in a war-torn country and your greatest accomplishment that essay. For example, you may be able link your experiences and what you learned from living in a war-torn country with the Haas Principle "Beyond Yourself" - (i.e. through my experience, I learned to value my community and want to contribute...). You may be able to connect you greatest accomplishment with the Haas Principle "Question the Status Quo." (i.e. I recognized an opportunity for organizational improvement and lead an initiative to....)
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.67
WE: Real Estate (Real Estate)

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 18:07
FunTime wrote:
mooze wrote:

What do you guys think?

I would recommend writing an essay on "Why Haas." Haas cares a lot about how you fit into their culture, maybe more so than other schools. You can probably be creative and include your unique background in a war-torn country and your greatest accomplishment that essay. For example, you may be able link your experiences and what you learned from living in a war-torn country with the Haas Principle "Beyond Yourself" - (i.e. through my experience, I learned to value my community and want to contribute...). You may be able to connect you greatest accomplishment with the Haas Principle "Question the Status Quo." (i.e. I recognized an opportunity for organizational improvement and lead an initiative to....)

I think FunTime is dead on. I would take the same route. Haas definitely seems to care a LOT about their culture and defining principals and really want people who will be a good fit.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 08:47
Thanks guys,..looks like i'll be doing Why Haas.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.67
WE: Real Estate (Real Estate)

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 12:54
Has anyone who received their admit package in the mail received any scholarship info? I am wondering if these notices would have been in the admit package or if they are coming out at a later date (I didn't receive any info so should I still keep waiting or assume I'm not getting anything?). Has anyone asked the admissions office about this? Thanks.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 13:26
bokkbokk wrote:
happyface wrote:
sej616 wrote:
Admitted! I missed the call last night because I was on a flight but got the official word this morning. Very excited!

Congrats! I guess the game's over for other R2s who haven't gotten the admit call yet?

Mate - I really hope not, but it's looking like it. From last year's thread, there's a sliver of hope if your status remains 'Under Review' till Friday, otherwise its the dreaded waitlist or ding.

F*&"!, was so hoping for that elusive call.

Well seems like a lot of R2 candidates got the acceptance.
I haven;t heard anything good or bad. But hope is really low now although the status still says "file under review".

This is tuesday now.....................
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 14:58
Congrats! I guess the game's over for other R2s who haven't gotten the admit call yet?[/quote]

Mate - I really hope not, but it's looking like it. From last year's thread, there's a sliver of hope if your status remains 'Under Review' till Friday, otherwise its the dreaded waitlist or ding.

F*&"!, was so hoping for that elusive call.[/quote]

Well seems like a lot of R2 candidates got the acceptance.
I haven;t heard anything good or bad. But hope is really low now although the status still says "file under review".

This is tuesday now.....................[/quote]

You might want to cantact admissions. Response was due by 3/1. It's a reasonable question and they won't mind you calling about it. Also, not hearing back might mean you have missing information in your application.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 15:23
Are u referring to R2 for ewmba, because the email Exchange I had with admissions state that they have everything they need from me and I will be notified of the decision on march 29.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2012, 15:23