Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 03:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
User avatar
Affiliations: LEAD Program in Business, NSHMBA, NBMBAA
Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 319
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 77

GMAT Tests User
Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 06:58
Question for current Haas Students and Alumni... what is Haas really looking for? I'm going to Tuck, but I'm curious because Haas was the one school that I felt as if they were looking for a certain 'type' of candidate. I reached this conclusion in my interview, when my interviewer kept saying, 'the typical Haas student... this, the typical Haas student... that" Perhaps my observations are misguided, but after getting the DING I'm even more intrigued.
_________________

My Blog - Road to the MBA Class of 2014

Manager
Manager
Joined: 05 Jun 2009
Posts: 122
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 37

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 13:17
TheSenator wrote:
Question for current Haas Students and Alumni... what is Haas really looking for? I'm going to Tuck, but I'm curious because Haas was the one school that I felt as if they were looking for a certain 'type' of candidate. I reached this conclusion in my interview, when my interviewer kept saying, 'the typical Haas student... this, the typical Haas student... that" Perhaps my observations are misguided, but after getting the DING I'm even more intrigued.


As a new admit maybe I can try answer this one.
I feel that they take their 4 defining principles very seriously and actually try to admit candidates who have shown dedication and commitment towards these 4 principles in their professional and personal lives. My interviewer made the foll statements which also give an idea of the 'typical' Haas student:
1. The Haas student's primary motivation is not money. Obviously money is important but the Haas student is chasing positive impact in society and business and making money is a positive byproduct.
2. (On me asking what is the most under-represented strength of Haas) It is the fact that a lot of the great work done by Haas alumni doesn't get highlighted or celebrated in the media because it is in the non-profit sector. A lot of Haas alums are making amazing innovations and making a genuine difference to the lives of people through their work but because this is all grass-roots work and cannot necessarily be quantified in monetary terms, it gets overshadowed by what can be quantified such as the stratospheric starting salaries of the finance/consulting grads of other schools.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Joined: 10 Jan 2012
Posts: 12
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 18:46
1
This post received
KUDOS
whirlwind wrote:
TheSenator wrote:
Question for current Haas Students and Alumni... what is Haas really looking for? I'm going to Tuck, but I'm curious because Haas was the one school that I felt as if they were looking for a certain 'type' of candidate. I reached this conclusion in my interview, when my interviewer kept saying, 'the typical Haas student... this, the typical Haas student... that" Perhaps my observations are misguided, but after getting the DING I'm even more intrigued.


As a new admit maybe I can try answer this one.
I feel that they take their 4 defining principles very seriously and actually try to admit candidates who have shown dedication and commitment towards these 4 principles in their professional and personal lives. My interviewer made the foll statements which also give an idea of the 'typical' Haas student:
1. The Haas student's primary motivation is not money. Obviously money is important but the Haas student is chasing positive impact in society and business and making money is a positive byproduct.
2. (On me asking what is the most under-represented strength of Haas) It is the fact that a lot of the great work done by Haas alumni doesn't get highlighted or celebrated in the media because it is in the non-profit sector. A lot of Haas alums are making amazing innovations and making a genuine difference to the lives of people through their work but because this is all grass-roots work and cannot necessarily be quantified in monetary terms, it gets overshadowed by what can be quantified such as the stratospheric starting salaries of the finance/consulting grads of other schools.


I'll agree to an extent - but Haas is a BUSINESS school. It would be foolish to assume that (most) Haas students are willing to pay over $100,000 for an education to make money as a byproduct of their efforts

If you look at the four principles, Haas is looking for people who seek to innovate - improving both themselves and those around them in a business setting. This can manifest in both non-profit and for-profit arenas (i.e. consulting, tech, finance - where many students end up). They look for confident, smart applicants who are humble enough to realize they always have room to improve. If you talk to most Haas admits and students, you will find that they're full of ideas and want to make an impact in some way. Lots of people from different ethnic/cultural backgrounds with a similar innovative mindset...
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Oct 2011
Posts: 197
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 1

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 19:16
wgoh123 wrote:
I'll agree to an extent - but Haas is a BUSINESS school. It would be foolish to assume that (most) Haas students are willing to pay over $100,000 for an education to make money as a byproduct of their efforts

If you look at the four principles, Haas is looking for people who seek to innovate - improving both themselves and those around them in a business setting. This can manifest in both non-profit and for-profit arenas (i.e. consulting, tech, finance - where many students end up). They look for confident, smart applicants who are humble enough to realize they always have room to improve. If you talk to most Haas admits and students, you will find that they're full of ideas and want to make an impact in some way. Lots of people from different ethnic/cultural backgrounds with a similar innovative mindset...


Very true indeed! They're looking for people who believe that they can succeed without being a jerk. To give an example, someone like Jobs would not be admitted to Haas had he applied.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2010
Posts: 84
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: Q V0
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 05:26
happyface wrote:
wgoh123 wrote:
I'll agree to an extent - but Haas is a BUSINESS school. It would be foolish to assume that (most) Haas students are willing to pay over $100,000 for an education to make money as a byproduct of their efforts

If you look at the four principles, Haas is looking for people who seek to innovate - improving both themselves and those around them in a business setting. This can manifest in both non-profit and for-profit arenas (i.e. consulting, tech, finance - where many students end up). They look for confident, smart applicants who are humble enough to realize they always have room to improve. If you talk to most Haas admits and students, you will find that they're full of ideas and want to make an impact in some way. Lots of people from different ethnic/cultural backgrounds with a similar innovative mindset...


Very true indeed! They're looking for people who believe that they can succeed without being a jerk. To give an example, someone like Jobs would not be admitted to Haas had he applied.


Wo Wo Wo, I think someone like Jobs would definitely be admitted at Haas. I think you are pointing out to the ""Confidence without attitude" principle and coming to your conclusion w.r.t Jobs. But hey, isnt it true that someone who is adamantly challenging (read questioning the status quo) the working of multiple sectors all together, is bound to be convicted for blasphemy. The attitude problem was basically a perceived image by the world. If the world is not listening to you and you walk away from the forums, you are bound to be accused of being rude. But you walk away to go and prove yourself. Every major innovator has gone through this "perceived attitude" problem. I think Haas understands this and that is the reason why they are like a socialist B-school rather than a capitalistic one. After all "non-profits" are nothing but offshoots of socialism in a capitalistic economy!

Ironically, most of these mavericks that we know of, have been school drop outs. So I guess, even if Haas was to accept Jobs, Jobs would anyways leave the school mid way. :P

RIP Jobs.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2010
Posts: 84
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: Q V0
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 05:31
Back to business... any R3 interview invites??!!??
Intern
Intern
Joined: 09 Feb 2012
Posts: 16
GPA: 3.1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 10:06
happyface wrote:
Very true indeed! They're looking for people who believe that they can succeed without being a jerk. To give an example, someone like Jobs would not be admitted to Haas had he applied.


Steve Jobs was no angel. Great CEO, but let's not forget the illegitimate daughter he had with his high school girlfriend, who he refused to support financially, forcing them to go on welfare.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 20 Oct 2011
Posts: 122
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.64
WE: Engineering (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 14

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 10:27
mdk250 wrote:
happyface wrote:
Very true indeed! They're looking for people who believe that they can succeed without being a jerk. To give an example, someone like Jobs would not be admitted to Haas had he applied.


Steve Jobs was no angel. Great CEO, but let's not forget the illegitimate daughter he had with his high school girlfriend, who he refused to support financially, forcing them to go on welfare.

Would that come up in a business school interview? or would it be mentioned in an application?
You are judged based on the merits of your application (or atleast what the ad com understands/thinks of it), not if you are involved in a paternity suit.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Oct 2011
Posts: 197
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 1

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 10:40
desijackass wrote:
mdk250 wrote:
happyface wrote:
Very true indeed! They're looking for people who believe that they can succeed without being a jerk. To give an example, someone like Jobs would not be admitted to Haas had he applied.


Steve Jobs was no angel. Great CEO, but let's not forget the illegitimate daughter he had with his high school girlfriend, who he refused to support financially, forcing them to go on welfare.

Would that come up in a business school interview? or would it be mentioned in an application?
You are judged based on the merits of your application (or atleast what the ad com understands/thinks of it), not if you are involved in a paternity suit.


Haha~~We totally went off topic here. The only reason I mentioned about Jobs was becuz in my update letter to Haas (wl after interview), I talked a bit about Jobs' continuous innovation, which is one of the core values of Haas. However, the alum who was helping me with the wl process told me absolutely NOT to talk about Jobs because he was not well perceived as a leader who succeeded in a way that aligns with Haas' values. Don't get me wrong! Jobs is damn smart and he's a great leader in his way. But apparently he's not the best leader to be included in our essays when we apply to Haas.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Posts: 9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 13:20
Hey guys,
Any R3 invites in the past 2 days?
Manager
Manager
Joined: 09 Sep 2009
Posts: 63
Location: United States
Concentration: Technology, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 2.8
WE: Research (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 16

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 14:06
bschoolsri wrote:
Hey guys,
Any R3 invites in the past 2 days?


There were couple of "Invited to Interview" reports on the applicant tracker this week which went unreported on the forum here
Manager
Manager
Joined: 29 Nov 2009
Posts: 107
Location: United States
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 5

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 14:36
Received an interview invite this afternoon, applied at the deadline in R3.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 09 Sep 2009
Posts: 63
Location: United States
Concentration: Technology, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 2.8
WE: Research (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 16

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 15:21
johnnymac wrote:
Received an interview invite this afternoon, applied at the deadline in R3.

Congrats!

Do they have something like super saturday for R3 or is it only for R1 and 2?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Joined: 29 Nov 2009
Posts: 107
Location: United States
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 5

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 16:29
1
This post received
KUDOS
nikheel, I didn't see any super Saturday... the choices were on (1 hr time blocks) and off campus.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 24 Oct 2011
Posts: 37
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 19:07
I received my interview invite today. Does anyone know when is the last day to interview for round 3 applicants?
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 06:15
any R1 or R2 waitlisters hear anything yet? I'm told the deadline is this Friday!!
Intern
Intern
Joined: 28 Oct 2011
Posts: 25
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.55
WE: Real Estate (Real Estate)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 10:40
berkeleyorbust wrote:
any R1 or R2 waitlisters hear anything yet? I'm told the deadline is this Friday!!


Nope. Waiting anxiously and hoping for the best.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Oct 2011
Posts: 197
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 1

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 11:48
avillaroya wrote:
berkeleyorbust wrote:
any R1 or R2 waitlisters hear anything yet? I'm told the deadline is this Friday!!


Nope. Waiting anxiously and hoping for the best.


Are you guys both wl from R1? I'm a wl from R2 and I was told that I should be expecting some updates around early May.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 28 Oct 2011
Posts: 25
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.55
WE: Real Estate (Real Estate)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 11:49
happyface wrote:
avillaroya wrote:
berkeleyorbust wrote:
any R1 or R2 waitlisters hear anything yet? I'm told the deadline is this Friday!!


Nope. Waiting anxiously and hoping for the best.


Are you guys both wl from R1? I'm a wl from R2 and I was told that I should be expecting some updates around early May.


R1
Intern
Intern
Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 06:39
Not trying to read too much into this but my application went back under review this morning from saying "waitlist".

I wonder if we will receive calls from Stephanie slightly before the deadline (this friday for R1) if we are admitted like the normal admits do.
Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2012, 06:39
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. New 34 Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants agold 632 12 Jun 2008, 10:18
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. New 43 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants kryzak 1236 13 May 2009, 00:23
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. New 2 Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants prinziphoffnung 6 30 Mar 2010, 13:11
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. New 82 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2011 Applicants Av 1830 09 May 2010, 16:16
Moved topic 45 Experts publish their posts in the topic Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants krazo 800 25 Aug 2011, 22:39
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  30   31   32   33   34   35   36  ...  41    Next  [ 801 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.