Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 07:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Haas (Berkeley) with $$$$ or Fuqua (Duke) with $$$ ???

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GPA: 3.52
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 2

Haas (Berkeley) with $$$$ or Fuqua (Duke) with $$$ ??? [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 04:03
This post received
KUDOS
I am VERY fortunate to receive a fellowship from Haas and about 75% tuition from Fuqua. I am looking to live in the Mid-Atlantic long-term and looking at leadership development programs with an open mind to venturing into other careers during the MBA.

Pros & Cons - Haas Pros: great program, very-tech centered curriculum, great weather, I like the idea of a big city (San Fran/Oakland) and never lived on the West Coast and wouldn't mind a new experience... Cons: small program and 70% of alumni stay in the Bay Area so i'm a little nervous about the lack of network on the East Coast

Fuqua Pros: Great program, great network on east coast, fun atmosphere.. Cons: small town, would pick up additional 40k in debt (married, already have a GREAT deal of student loans as a household).

I'm really torn. I guess it comes down to whether or not I will be able to use the Haas brand on the east coast to open the same doors that Fuqua would??? Is it worth paying up for the network? I'm pretty sure I could land a job, but would I be leaving value on the table with 70% of my network in the West or do people build their network organically after they get their post-mba jobs???

Thoughts?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 311 [1] , given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Haas (Berkeley) with $$$$ or Fuqua (Duke) with $$$ ??? [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 04:49
This post received
KUDOS
The issue I have with the networking if you go to Haas lies in recruiting, not so much having that Haas network with you on the east coast after graduation. For starters, most of Haas' recruiting probably happens from bay area/west coast firms. Like at any other B-school, when a company doesn't come to campus, you reach out to alumni working at the companies you're interested in...but the problem here is there probably aren't a lot of Haas alum to reach out to in the mid-atlantic region to aid you in your off campus recruiting. In terms of career treks, I know a lot of east coast schools make trips out west for those interested in tech/enterainment, etc, but given Haas high placement in the Bay, I'd imagine it'd be a lot tougher to find a group of students at Haas targeting the mid-atlantic region.

I would see if you could twist Duke's arm saying you have a full-ride at Haas but really want to go to Fuqua. Normally I consider Haas to be a cut above Duke, but most people don't go to Haas aiming for mid-atlantic placement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Re: Haas (Berkeley) with $$$$ or Fuqua (Duke) with $$$ ??? [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 06:19
Thanks for the advice. I will certainly make Fuqua aware of my situation and see how they respond. I will also see if Haas can put me in touch with any DC area alumni or give me a real idea of their true reach in the region and any potential for a DC trek. Maybe I can get some of the haas Ugrads involved as well to hit a larger number.

I have also seen Haas rank slightly higher than Duke, but I think it is a very marginal difference. Maybe others feel strongly one way or the other. If Duke stepped up, this wouldn't be an issue at all, but not sure how often schools do this. I also have $$$ from UNC but have sized down the decision to Fuqua and Haas.

Any other thoughts out there?
Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 7

Re: Haas (Berkeley) with $$$$ or Fuqua (Duke) with $$$ ??? [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 06:57
EUMD315 wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I will certainly make Fuqua aware of my situation and see how they respond. I will also see if Haas can put me in touch with any DC area alumni or give me a real idea of their true reach in the region and any potential for a DC trek. Maybe I can get some of the haas Ugrads involved as well to hit a larger number.

I have also seen Haas rank slightly higher than Duke, but I think it is a very marginal difference. Maybe others feel strongly one way or the other. If Duke stepped up, this wouldn't be an issue at all, but not sure how often schools do this. I also have $$$ from UNC but have sized down the decision to Fuqua and Haas.

Any other thoughts out there?

Congrats on your scholarships! Try to get a sweetened deal from Duke. Duke definitely has a bigger network in the region. Else, I won't hesitate to go with Haas. I am very sure you can get a LD gig right out of Haas - in Mid-Atlantic. With a partner and some loan burden already, Haas seems to be a more prudent choice. Good luck with your decision. You can't go wrong with either of these schools.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 628

Premium Member
Re: Haas (Berkeley) with $$$$ or Fuqua (Duke) with $$$ ??? [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 09:35
You are obviously in a fantastic position. I'll echo what the previous posters have said by suggesting you talk to both schools: ask Haas to put you in touch with alumni in the Mid-Atlantic and (politely and respectfully) ask Fuqua to up their offer.

Personally, although I prefer Haas and California, if I were looking to land in the Mid-Atlantic, I'd probably choose Fuqua (assuming money and perceived fit were equal).
4 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 10 [4] , given: 2

Re: Haas (Berkeley) with $$$$ or Fuqua (Duke) with $$$ ??? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 07:12
This post received
KUDOS
Update: Duke showed the love! They have upped the offer to a full-tuition fellowship. They actually have a formal process for this type of thing and a little additional networking helped as well. Thanks for the advice, I almost didn't bother asking Duke to match, but glad I did. I feel great about the school and network. I now have a HBS WL lingering (which sucks) but I feel great about Fuqua and I won't bankrupt the family.
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Haas (Berkeley) with $$$$ or Fuqua (Duke) with $$$ ??? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 09:07
EUMD315 wrote:
Update: Duke showed the love! They have upped the offer to a full-tuition fellowship. They actually have a formal process for this type of thing and a little additional networking helped as well. Thanks for the advice, I almost didn't bother asking Duke to match, but glad I did. I feel great about the school and network. I now have a HBS WL lingering (which sucks) but I feel great about Fuqua and I won't bankrupt the family.

Congrats!!! This just proves you won't know if you don't ask!

Good luck with the HBS WL - I'm sure you're aware that they do need-based aid vice merit, so if you get off the WL, I don't think there's a debate of "Duke w/full ride vs. HBS w/no money" because there will be money in a grant form...they're loaded.

Really glad things worked out for you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 449 [0], given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Haas (Berkeley) with $$$$ or Fuqua (Duke) with $$$ ??? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 11:27
EUMD315 wrote:

great news that! :)

good luck with the decision now.
Intern
Intern
WE: Sales (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 43

Re: Haas (Berkeley) with $$$$ or Fuqua (Duke) with $$$ ??? [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 10:31
whoa ! heartiest congratulations :) and best of luck for that W/L
Re: Haas (Berkeley) with $$$$ or Fuqua (Duke) with $$$ ???   [#permalink] 21 May 2013, 10:31