Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 13:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Haas EWMBA: Weekday or Weekend cohort - Pros and Cons

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 40

Haas EWMBA: Weekday or Weekend cohort - Pros and Cons [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2014, 22:49
So you obviously have the choice of the Weekday (Mon-Wed/Tue-Thu) or Weekend (all day Saturday) cohort for the EWMBA program. I am having a hard time deciding between the two.

Which cohort did you choose personally and why? Can we discuss some pros and cons of both choices? If some current students can weigh in with their own experiences, it will be mighty helpful.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 6

Premium Member
Re: Haas EWMBA: Weekday or Weekend cohort - Pros and Cons [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 17:37
This post received
KUDOS
saintforlife wrote:
So you obviously have the choice of the Weekday (Mon-Wed/Tue-Thu) or Weekend (all day Saturday) cohort for the EWMBA program. I am having a hard time deciding between the two.

Which cohort did you choose personally and why? Can we discuss some pros and cons of both choices? If some current students can weigh in with their own experiences, it will be mighty helpful.

Just saw this thread.

Given the choice, I'd go for the weekday option. I have to fly in for class, so it's weekend or nothing for me.

Weekday has 3 hour classes for a couple more weeks, but it's a much more digestible format. Also you don't have 8 hours of class on a single day. When it comes to electives, the weekday people get 3x the number of options that the weekend people get.

The weekend option works and you get the same learning experience. However, I'd go weekday if I could.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Haas EWMBA: Weekday or Weekend cohort - Pros and Cons [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 09:23
This post received
KUDOS
I agree that the weekday system is preferable. I'll list some pros and cons, but first a note:

The weekday/weekend election is most relevant for 1st year (where you take core classes) and slightly less relevant 2nd/3rd year (where you take electives just based on whatever the elective schedule is). You will find that in most 2nd/3rd years, the weekend people will migrate into some weekday classes, simply because more elective slots are available on the weekday, and thus more classes are available on the weekday.

So, onto the pros and cons:

Weekday Pros: 1st year, your classes are 10 weeks long, so it's a lot more digestible. 1st year, many of the more popular professors teach Weekday, but this isn't overwhelmingly true. Initially, when you get into 2nd year, Weekday people *might* have a slight priority for choosing weekday electives. There are more weekday elective choices available, so it becomes a slight advantage to them, only in popular classes with limited space (for most classes, there isn't a ton of competition to get in). It may be a pro or con, but Weekday students only take classes at the Haas campus (good if you live near Berkeley), where as Weekend students split time between Haas and the south bay satellite (good if you live in the South Bay).

Weekday Cons: You get no spring break. 1st year, you start school earlier than everyone, and end after everyone is done, well into everyone's summer vacation. No free food. You have to commute to campus 2x/week instead of 1x/week (commuting to campus takes up a significant amount of your weekly time, since traffic around Berkeley is horrendous). Weekday cohorts are slightly less social, because people are tired from doing work+class, and aren't quite as eager to get beers afterwards.

Weekend Pros: Very social. Instead of interacting with 1 cohort, you have the opportunity to interact with 2 cohorts every Saturday. Don't underestimate the value of the 'social capital' you get from this... A lot of Weekenders carpool: more opportunity to make friends. 1st year you get the full summer break and spring break. Weekend people tend to be slightly more skewed to the Silicon Valley crowd, so if that's the industry you want to live/breath, Weekend is slightly more skewed in that direction. You're given free food!

Weekend Cons: You're given free food! (yes, it's free, but you do tend to get sick of it) This next point, I can't emphasize this enough - classes are 7 weeks long 1st year. This is *GRUELING*. Core classes are like drinking from the firehose, and in weekend classes, the water comes 30% faster. The classes go 3 weeks, midterm, 3 weeks, final, like clockwork. You tend to take 2 finals on one day at the end, while in weekday classes, the finals are in different days. Despite the easier commute to the south bay campus, a lot of students actually prefer the academic environment of the Haas campus. The Haas facilities are very nice, whereas the south bay facilities feel like a small, stuffy trade conference. The latter part is changing though, since Haas has switched south bay facilities to a more college oriented site.

2nd/3rd Year, everybody goes into electives, so the differences subside. The electives are distributed over what amounts to 6 'slots, M, T, W, Th, Sat Morning, and Sat Evening. Obviously, this means 4 slots for weekday vs. 2 slots for weekend, which means that there is more scheduling and availability on weekdays. So, you generally see more weekend students bleeding into weekday classes, but the reverse happens also. Most elective classes are 10 or 15 weeks long, much more leisurely paced. 1st year is a gauntlet, and the weekenders run it much faster. That also, of course, means that they are drinking, celebrating, and socializing the end of classes when the weekday cohorts are still slugging it through.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas EWMBA: Weekday or Weekend cohort - Pros and Cons [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2014, 09:08
very good topic.
The only consern for me is that sometimes the class will be in southbay. A little bit far from San Francisco area.
I also guess Weekend cohort has more IT/high tech students while weekday cohort has more consulting/financial service students from city. Not sure if this is true.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 6

Premium Member
Re: Haas EWMBA: Weekday or Weekend cohort - Pros and Cons [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2014, 09:47
From what I've seen, there are more consultants in the weekend cohort due to travel schedules. Commuters from outside the bay area also tend to be in the weekend. Other than that, they're mostly the same.

I'm not a giant fan of the south bay location, but it makes it a bit easier for some of the south bay people to commute. The caterer is definitely better down there though.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 40

Re: Haas EWMBA: Weekday or Weekend cohort - Pros and Cons [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2014, 00:38
packet82 wrote:
Weekday has 3 hour classes for a couple more weeks, but it's a much more digestible format. Also you don't have 8 hours of class on a single day. When it comes to electives, the weekday people get 3x the number of options that the weekend people get.

Can you elaborate on this a bit? Is there a chance a weekend student misses out on his/her desired electives to a weekday student? What if you are specializing in a particular area, let's say finance, and there is an elective you badly want....is there a chance you could miss out on it because it is already filled with weekday students? Do weekday students get first pick of all classes? Can you tell me how the whole electives thing works and why weekday students get preferential treatment? This is kind of a big deal for me.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 5

Re: Haas EWMBA: Weekday or Weekend cohort - Pros and Cons [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2014, 20:55
This post received
KUDOS
saintforlife wrote:
Can you elaborate on this a bit? Is there a chance a weekend student misses out on his/her desired electives to a weekday student? What if you are specializing in a particular area, let's say finance, and there is an elective you badly want....is there a chance you could miss out on it because it is already filled with weekday students? Do weekday students get first pick of all classes? Can you tell me how the whole electives thing works and why weekday students get preferential treatment? This is kind of a big deal for me.

This should help:

2014 Fall Schedule - http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/EWMBA/Fall ... 14elec.pdf
Bidding Rules - http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/EWMBA/fall14_bidinfo.html
Course Descriptions - https://aai.haas.berkeley.edu/Schedulin ... &Year=2013

To keep it simple, you have the option to switch cohorts at anytime during the program. Note, you can only do this once and not be subject to losing bid points by having to undeclared (see second link). During your second year, you can pretty much get into any class that you want as long as it's not being taught by Teck Ho for pricing or Holly Schroth for negotiations. Also IBD, SIB, and Turnarounds with Peter Goodson during the summer may fill up as well. During your third year, you should have enough bid points to get into any class that you want, as long as you're not particular to attending when it's offered. As Packet stated, the vast majority of the best elective classes with the top professors are held during the week. While there are definitely good professors on the weekend, the class options are limited.
Re: Haas EWMBA: Weekday or Weekend cohort - Pros and Cons   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2014, 20:55