Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 14:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Haas Fall 2009 Essays Released

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

Haas Fall 2009 Essays Released [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2008, 01:09
Posted in the "Calling all Haas 2009..." thread and the Haas Ambassador thread. Please ask questions and discuss in the Calling all Haas thread and I'll do my best to answer.

p485272#p485272

BTW, ONLY Short Answer #1 is different. Everything else is the same as the Fall 2008 Essay Questions.

Again, for optional essays, ONLY write something if you have a major deficiency to address, or if you have another aspect of your candidacy you want to bring out. I wrote a 500 word essay discussing my volunteering activities for the optional essay (also for UCLA), just for your reference.

Fall 2009 Essay Questions

Listed below are the supplemental questions, short answer questions, required essays, and optional essays for the fall 2009 application.

Supplemental Questions:

1. If you have not provided a letter of recommendation from your current supervisor, please explain; otherwise, enter N/A.
2. List in order of importance all community & professional organizations and extracurricular activities in which you have been involved during or after university studies. Indicate the nature of the activity or organization, dates of involvement, offices held, & average number of hours spent per month.
3. List full-time and part-time jobs held during undergraduate or graduate studies, indicating the employer, job title, employment dates, location, and the number of hours worked per week for each position held prior to the completion of your degree.
4. Please explain all gaps in your employment since earning your university degree.
5. Please identify the course(s) you have taken or intend to take to demonstrate quantitative proficiency. Provide the course name, date, grade if any, and institution at which the course was or will be taken. If you wish, you may discuss other ways in which you have demonstrated strong quantitative abilities.
6. If you have ever been subject to academic discipline, placed on probation, suspended or required to withdraw from any college or university, please explain. If not, please enter N/A. (An affirmative response to this question does not automatically disqualify you from admission.)

Short Answer:

1. If you could change one thing you've done in your life, what would it be, and how would you do it differently? (250 word maximum)
2. Tell us about your most significant accomplishment. (250 word maximum)
3. At Haas, we value innovation and creativity. Describe an innovative solution you have created to address a specific challenge. (250 word maximum)
4. What steps have you taken to learn about the Berkeley MBA program, and what factors have influenced your decision to apply? (250 word maximum)

Required Essays:

1. Give us an example of a situation in which you displayed leadership. (500 word maximum)
2. What are your short-term and long-term career goals? How do your professional experiences relate to these goals? Why do you want an MBA from Berkeley at this point in your career? (1000 word maximum)

Optional Essays:

1. (Optional) Please feel free to provide a statement concerning any information you would like to add to your application that you haven’t addressed elsewhere. (500 word maximum)
2. (Optional) If you wish to be considered for the Haas Achievement Award (for individuals who have achieved success in spite of significant economic, educational, health-related and/or other obstacles), please use this space to address the obstacles you have overcome. (750 word maximum)

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 1

Re: Haas Fall 2009 Essays Released [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2008, 06:24
Outstanding. Definitely one of my target schools.

Kryzak, is it worth visiting haas in the summer -- I'm not sure if summer classes are in session -- or should I just visit in the fall?

Also, for short answer 1 is UG performance a topic worth discussing or are they looking for something deeper?

thanks
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas Fall 2009 Essays Released [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2008, 07:10
Does it seem like some schools are releasing their essay questions earlier this year? Maybe I am just crazy.
Current Student
Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 16

Re: Haas Fall 2009 Essays Released [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2008, 10:27
Harvard started the trend and it seems like many schools are following suite .. not a bad thing I suppose aside from allowing folks to agonize even more over their essays.

bherronp wrote:
Does it seem like some schools are releasing their essay questions earlier this year? Maybe I am just crazy.

INSEAD Sept 2010 Interview Invite Nov 5, 2009 Admit & Matriculating
Wharton Sept 2010 Interview Invite Oct 30, 2009 Waitlisted & Ding
Harvard Sept 2010 Ding without Interview
Ivey May 2010 Interview Invite Nov 23, 2009 Admit + $$

SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas Fall 2009 Essays Released [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2008, 11:02
sonibubu wrote:

Kryzak, is it worth visiting haas in the summer -- I'm not sure if summer classes are in session -- or should I just visit in the fall?

Also, for short answer 1 is UG performance a topic worth discussing or are they looking for something deeper?

thanks

Definitely something deeper if I were to guess.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

Re: Haas Fall 2009 Essays Released [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2008, 12:47
Looks like many schools are releasing a LOT earlier now. I remember the essay questions for Haas (and Kellogg) were not out this early last year.

sonibubu wrote:

thanks

good to hear soni, I'm here to help get as many Haas applicants (and admits) as I can. :P

Visiting in the summer is only useful with the Summer Infosession. They haven't released the date yet, but I'll post it here when I hear of it. Last year it was somewhere around July 28th and was a 5 hour thing from 8am to 1pm which included tours, panels, and presentations from different parts of the school. do a search on the Fall 2008 Berkeley thread or search "summer infosession" with my name to see my summary of the event.

I think they might want a deeper answer than just UG performance. Unless you can pinpoint one key story that affected your entire UG performance, and how you want to go back to that point and change it, I would talk about something more life-changing/important/significant to you.

Hope that helps!

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas Fall 2009 Essays Released [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2008, 16:21
kryzak wrote:
I think they might want a deeper answer than just UG performance. Unless you can pinpoint one key story that affected your entire UG performance, and how you want to go back to that point and change it, I would talk about something more life-changing/important/significant to you.

Hope that helps!

I agree that they are looking for something deeper. UG is typically reserved for the optional, but this approach is a good one to take with that essay as well. talk about the issues, how taking classes post-UG to prepare for your MBA has focused your ambition and increased your desire for a masters.

I'd use it as a pivot to your pre-MBA academic achivements (which you'll need with a weak UG), put it in the optional and find something more for the short answer 1 essay.

-zakk

Friend to hamsters, snowboard cruiser, first person ever to score a 12 on the GMAT, bad golfer, decent PR hack, all around nice guy.

Re: Haas Fall 2009 Essays Released   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2008, 16:21