Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 02:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Haas (Full Time MBA) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GMAT 2: Q0 V0
GPA: 3.5
WE: Account Management (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 05:29
Has anyone had a chat with the admissions committee on the decision notification?? Will they start calling people 3 days earlier like they did last time???
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 11

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 07:16
SVD86 wrote:
Any invites post winter break ?

still waiting too my friend. Preparing myself mentally-would love a valid reason to hike out to the west!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 07:45
Hi, prospective Haas friends,

I have a big concern on Haas’ MBA essay three (Describe a time in the last three years when you overcame a failure. What specific insight from this experience has shaped your development? ). This is because the word emphasized in that essay, “overcame”, is very confusing. I find that there are two ways to write that essay, but I do not know which way is appropriate.

The two approaches to this essay question are as follows:

1. For instance, I met an initial failure in work. I later learned why I had failed in that work. Then I used that learning from that failure in my future different work and get success.

My concern here is that I just used my learning from that initial failure to succeed in later life, but I did not turn around (overcome) that initial failure.

2. For instance, I met a failure in work. I learned from why I had failed in that work. Then I used that learning to turn around that initial failure. More than that, I even used that learning in my future different work and get success.

My concern here is that I overcome that initial failure. However, according to my understanding, failure must be a real failure. If I turn around/overcome that initial failure later, then it seems that this initial failure is not a real failure, it is just a setback or challenge. Right?

So, which way is more appropriate to this Haas essay? Can anyone who was invited for Haas interview or already being admitted by Haas R1 give me some answers?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V39
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 5

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 11:31
This post received
KUDOS
As with most of these, there are no right and wrong ways. The failure (or setback) and overcoming the failure are
completely your interpretation, it's how well (and clearly) you can highlight your learning which helped you succeed eventually.
I approached it similar to the first approach you have mentioned but I picked something that wasn't from my professional
experiences. The flow of events is important but I think you should focus more on the expressing the learning and its importance
very clearly.

Hope this helps, all the best with your application!

beatmbaforme wrote:
Hi, prospective Haas friends,

I have a big concern on Haas’ MBA essay three (Describe a time in the last three years when you overcame a failure. What specific insight from this experience has shaped your development? ). This is because the word emphasized in that essay, “overcame”, is very confusing. I find that there are two ways to write that essay, but I do not know which way is appropriate.

The two approaches to this essay question are as follows:

1. For instance, I met an initial failure in work. I later learned why I had failed in that work. Then I used that learning from that failure in my future different work and get success.

My concern here is that I just used my learning from that initial failure to succeed in later life, but I did not turn around (overcome) that initial failure.

2. For instance, I met a failure in work. I learned from why I had failed in that work. Then I used that learning to turn around that initial failure. More than that, I even used that learning in my future different work and get success.

My concern here is that I overcome that initial failure. However, according to my understanding, failure must be a real failure. If I turn around/overcome that initial failure later, then it seems that this initial failure is not a real failure, it is just a setback or challenge. Right?

So, which way is more appropriate to this Haas essay? Can anyone who was invited for Haas interview or already being admitted by Haas R1 give me some answers?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 11:36
HedgeWi wrote:
MercuryLimestone wrote:
Hi everyone,

I read in the instruction that the applicant should send the official certificate of transcript to the school before the decision date. However, when I check the status in my self-serviced account, it says I should send both the certificates of my degree and my transcript to the school. I forgot to upload the scanned version of my degree in the application, so I think they should ask for a scanned one instead of a hard copy. Do any of you have to send the certificate of your degree (hard copy) to them (not certificate of transcript).

The issue for me is my school does not provide official certificates (Haas required the certificate from candidate's undergrad school with the seal). My undergrad university only provides original ones and for once only. So, when I emailed and asked about my case, Haas told me to send them the original ones, they will certify them on their campus and then returned the documents to me. It's ok for the transcript as my university granted 2 copies for me. But for my university degree, I feel risky sending the original one even through DHL or UPS. In my country, most authentic copies/certificate of documents are usually made via Justice offices, not by the one which issues the originals.

I am thinking of asking them to let me send the notarized copy of my degree (which issue by Justice Department based on the original one), then follow them with a scanned copy. I still can send my original one to them, but with a lot of anxiety. If I lost the original of my degree, I can only get a certificate that says that I graduated from such a university and that I lost my original one.

Final, there's a myth that Haas is very selective on giving our interview invitation. Thus, if one gets an invitation, he or she probably has a slightly higher chance to get in than in the case of other B-school. For example, Wharton may interview 3 to get 1 in; Haas may interview 5 to get 3 in. Any one confirms this myth?

What did you do eventually? Send originals? Or send copies attested via the Judicial department? I have a similar case here in India where we only have one set of originals from the university. I'm jittery to send them via DHL/Fedex. I'd rather prefer to send attested copies from a judicial authority / similar. Or I can even get photocopies attested by the Head of Department in my University. I'm writing to the Adcom as well and will update when I receive a response. However, wanted to understand what you did?

I had sent notary attested copies (from Bangalore, India) and I just received a mail from admissions that they have received and accepted my documents and my application is complete.
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 448 [0], given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 12:45
chairman14 wrote:
I had sent notary attested copies (from Bangalore, India) and I just received a mail from admissions that they have received and accepted my documents and my application is complete.

This is after your interview?
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 12:55
jumsumtak wrote:
chairman14 wrote:

Yep, completed my interview close to 2 weeks back
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 448 [1] , given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 13:07
This post received
KUDOS
chairman14 wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:
chairman14 wrote:

Yep, completed my interview close to 2 weeks back

Wow, lots of people iv-ed in B'lore, it seems. The tech connection, I presume. I was told to get it attested by my university's registrar or Fullbright commission. I'm not working close to my UG university, so it is definitely a pain to get this thing done.
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 13:15
This is after your interview?[/quote]

Yep, completed my interview close to 2 weeks back[/quote]

Wow, lots of people iv-ed in B'lore, it seems. The tech connection, I presume. I was told to get it attested by my university's registrar or Fullbright commission. I'm not working close to my UG university, so it is definitely a pain to get this thing done.[/quote]

Lots? I was under the impression that the class itself has around 10 Indian nationals! :P
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 448 [0], given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 13:21
chairman14 wrote:
Lots? I was under the impression that the class itself has around 10 Indian nationals! :P

Maybe. And I know 4, who iv-ed in B'lore for R1. Thought it was a fair bit considering I wouldn't know them all. Anyhow, good luck with the decision.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Ross '16
GPA: 3.42
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 19:07
jumsumtak wrote:
chairman14 wrote:

Maybe. And I know 4, who iv-ed in B'lore for R1. Thought it was a fair bit considering I wouldn't know them all. Anyhow, good luck with the decision.

I am able to see none other than Bangalore Location and I guess it is too late for International applicants to receive an interview. There is not much time left to complete the post interview process !!
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 00:39
SVD86 wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:
chairman14 wrote:

I am able to see none other than Bangalore Location and I guess it is too late for International applicants to receive an interview. There is not much time left to complete the post interview process !!

Yeah this seems a tough call this time :) I know of 5 who interviewed in Bangalore, 3 in Delhi and 1 in Mumbai. Looks like they interviewed more candidates in India this time to ensure they pick their lot of 10 (or maybe 5 since this is Round 1)

I hope the week skips and January 15th could come quicker. Cant fathom the pain of going through another ding! :?
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 00:44
chairman14 wrote:
HedgeWi wrote:
MercuryLimestone wrote:
Hi everyone,

I read in the instruction that the applicant should send the official certificate of transcript to the school before the decision date. However, when I check the status in my self-serviced account, it says I should send both the certificates of my degree and my transcript to the school. I forgot to upload the scanned version of my degree in the application, so I think they should ask for a scanned one instead of a hard copy. Do any of you have to send the certificate of your degree (hard copy) to them (not certificate of transcript).

The issue for me is my school does not provide official certificates (Haas required the certificate from candidate's undergrad school with the seal). My undergrad university only provides original ones and for once only. So, when I emailed and asked about my case, Haas told me to send them the original ones, they will certify them on their campus and then returned the documents to me. It's ok for the transcript as my university granted 2 copies for me. But for my university degree, I feel risky sending the original one even through DHL or UPS. In my country, most authentic copies/certificate of documents are usually made via Justice offices, not by the one which issues the originals.

I am thinking of asking them to let me send the notarized copy of my degree (which issue by Justice Department based on the original one), then follow them with a scanned copy. I still can send my original one to them, but with a lot of anxiety. If I lost the original of my degree, I can only get a certificate that says that I graduated from such a university and that I lost my original one.

Final, there's a myth that Haas is very selective on giving our interview invitation. Thus, if one gets an invitation, he or she probably has a slightly higher chance to get in than in the case of other B-school. For example, Wharton may interview 3 to get 1 in; Haas may interview 5 to get 3 in. Any one confirms this myth?

What did you do eventually? Send originals? Or send copies attested via the Judicial department? I have a similar case here in India where we only have one set of originals from the university. I'm jittery to send them via DHL/Fedex. I'd rather prefer to send attested copies from a judicial authority / similar. Or I can even get photocopies attested by the Head of Department in my University. I'm writing to the Adcom as well and will update when I receive a response. However, wanted to understand what you did?

Pam (Interview Coordinator) requested attested copies from my University (rather than a notary) so I took a day off to get this done from my UG University. But I did verify with her that these attested copies have NO BEARING on the decision. Our decisions will be released regardless of the receipt of these documents. They will only be needed for the next procedures in line.
7 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q V

Kudos [?]: 19 [7] , given: 11

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 10:32
This post received
KUDOS
Ok that "Congrats....JANET YELLEN" email almost gave me a heart attack. :/
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 10:35
ceecee wrote:

Literally hated Haas for that!! Freakshows :evil:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 28

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 10:37
ceecee wrote:

Same here!!!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 28

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 10:39
This post received
KUDOS
ceecee wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the Head of Admissions at Haas is a reincarnation of Alfred Hitchcock, the king of suspense.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q V0
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 2

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 10:46
ceecee wrote:

Yea, no sh**. That was cruel...
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
WE: Analyst (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 13

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 12:51
Yeah this seems a tough call this time :) I know of 5 who interviewed in Bangalore, 3 in Delhi and 1 in Mumbai. Looks like they interviewed more candidates in India this time to ensure they pick their lot of 10 (or maybe 5 since this is Round 1)

I hope the week skips and January 15th could come quicker. Cant fathom the pain of going through another ding! :?[/quote]

Also the Indian Nationals like me, working in the US! I am pretty sure we count in the same bucket.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 43

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 13:34
Submitted my R2 app last week. Of the schools I applied to, Berkeley's was the most comprehensive, which meant it required the most work, but it also gave me the best opportunities to bring forth everything I wanted to put into my application- hopefully it'll work out. Best of luck to everyone!
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2014, 13:34