Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Re: Haas (Full Time MBA) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink]
lindalibinbin wrote:
Question for international applicants:
In the Personal Data, Part II section of the online application, there is a "Holders of US undergraduate degrees" component that cannot be left blank, which doesn't make sense. I earned my degree in Canada, should I enter my GPA here anyway? Otherwise I'm not able to save this page...

Weird. Mail the adcom. Haven't started filling this one out, so have no clue. The deadline is still a few days away, so the adcom should be able to respond in time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Nonprofit, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Berkeley has a ton of optional essay questions...how are you all going about them? Are you filling them all out? I'm going to leave the parents' occupation/degrees question blank, at least (I don't really know how that info would help my app), and probably the "Please feel free to provide a statement concerning any information you would like to add to your application that you haven't addressed elsewhere." one, too.
VP
VP
Send PM
mbamyway wrote:
Berkeley has a ton of optional essay questions...how are you all going about them? Are you filling them all out? I'm going to leave the parents' occupation/degrees question blank, at least (I don't really know how that info would help my app), and probably the "Please feel free to provide a statement concerning any information you would like to add to your application that you haven't addressed elsewhere." one, too.

I don't think you need them all. So, you may use your judgement and skip the irrelevant stuff.

[edit] - if this helps, I'm skipping a few of them as well :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
When Haas' website says they pay very close attention to your quant ability, any clue on whether this means your raw GMAT quant score or more your quant percentile? I'm not sure what to make of it, (especially given that the percentiles keep going down for a given score!)

Also any idea whether they provide refreshers/pre-term classes?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
ceecee wrote:
When Haas' website says they pay very close attention to your quant ability, any clue on whether this means your raw GMAT quant score or more your quant percentile? I'm not sure what to make of it, (especially given that the percentiles keep going down for a given score!)

Hello,

For all practical considerations raw score/percentiles are just taken as one data point. There is not a lot of fluctuation YoY. Further, what they mean is, if your quant score is low, they will dive deep in your UG transcripts, work history etc. to see if you have had exposure to challenging quantsy stuff.

Simply put, if your quant score on the GMAT is low, it would be wise to explain in the optional essay that you have dealt with numbers elsewhere in your life (through additional courses, work, UG etc.) and you won't be lagging behind in the class.

I'm not certain about that. But, I presume they do as almost everyone else has it as well.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
jumsumtak wrote:
ceecee wrote:

Hello,

For all practical considerations raw score/percentiles are just taken as one data point. There is not a lot of fluctuation YoY. Further, what they mean is, if your quant score is low, they will dive deep in your UG transcripts, work history etc. to see if you have had exposure to challenging quantsy stuff.

Simply put, if your quant score on the GMAT is low, it would be wise to explain in the optional essay that you have dealt with numbers elsewhere in your life (through additional courses, work, UG etc.) and you won't be lagging behind in the class.

I'm not certain about that. But, I presume they do as almost everyone else has it as well.

Thanks that's starting to help. Although I'm still unsure what constitutes low-by percentile I can imagine ~50% but what of the raw score?
VP
VP
Send PM
ceecee wrote:
Thanks that's starting to help. Although I'm still unsure what constitutes low-by percentile I can imagine ~50% but what of the raw score?

Don't quote me on this, but I think, anything below 60-65% (q44-45) would warrant an explanation.

edit: just saw your score. You might be on the cusp. I'd say do offer an explanation if you have substantial stuff to write about. I mean, you've taken extra courses, your job requires lot of crunching etc. You don't want to leave anything on the table, right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
What is your most significant accomplishment? (250 word maximum)

I lost my job during the 2008 financial crisis and had to find one in a time crunch situation due to my visa situation. Does that constitute as a valid topic for this essay? I am confused and need help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM

I lost my job during the 2008 financial crisis and had to find one in a time crunch situation due to my visa situation. Does that constitute as a valid topic for this essay? I am confused and need help.

Any advice?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
randomdude123 wrote:
Any advice?

Not an expert, but here's my 2 cents:

It's not an 'ideal' story. Did you have any other option than to sort that stuff out? I presume not. Instead, you would do well to choose a story where you took an initiative, and your actions had an impact on a greater audience.

Having said that, nothing is 'ideal'. I've read successful stories that looked so trivial at their core. For instance, there was a 'most significant accomplishment' story about how an applicant balanced her time at her job and a culinary club she had joined. It really depends on how big an impact it had on you and how well you articulate it.

good luck
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
randomdude123 wrote:

Any advice?

My 2 cents: if you can clearly articulate WHY it was an accomplishment (i.e. the repercussions if you didn't, the impact it had on your family/dependents, etc.), then I really feel that it's okay to use that story. As jumsumtak already pointed out, there is no IDEAL story.

Good luck!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Any Reapplicants off the waitlist here ?
Are you guys re-writting your song essay and your failure essay ?
I am finding it hard to say that the song i picked 6 months back wasn't the real song .. but this one now is.

Failure essay -- I couldn't have had another collosal failure in the past 6 months.

Its not like i'm shying away from putting in the effort but to seem to come up with new stories seems a bit weird.

I am thinking ill refine my goals essay and write a solid reapplication essay and re-write the achievement essay highlighting a recent achivement
Any thoughts guys ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.3
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Other)
Send PM
Does anyone know if Haas allows a week or so after the R1 deadline (16th october) for recommenders to submit their recos? I recently found out BOOTH allowed a week after their Oct 3rd deadline for recommendations to be turned in. Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
QUESTION REGARDING EMPLOYMENT RECORD:
In Haas' instruction they said to list ONE entry for each employer, even if we worked in different divisions. Well I have held 3 full-time and 1 temporary positions under different lines of businesses in a very large financial company. Under the "responsibility/key accomplishments" question, I answered in a format like this:

position#1:xxx
responsibilities:
- xx
- xx
key accomplishments:
- xx
- xx

position#2: xxx

position #3: xxx

But when I look at the "print application" page, my answer got grouped into one big messy paragraph:
position #1: xxx responsibilities: - xx - xx - xx key accomplishments: -xx - xx - xx position #2: xxx........

This looks really bad. How did everyone else deal with this? Will Adcom see this one big lump paragraph as well? How can I write the responsibilities and accomplishments of 3 positions neatly in one paragraph?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Any idea on the limit of #of words for the reapplication essay.
Also do the we shove in the OPTIONAL content right below the re-application essay ?
Is the word limit for the combined reapp essay + optional 400 words ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hey guys...can anyone shed some light on this? (questions are bolded below...)

For the short answers, Haas asks:

2. List in order of importance all community and professional organizations and extracurricular activities in which you have been involved during or after university studies. Include the following information for each organization or activity using the format below:
-Name of organization or activity
-Nature of organization or activity -- Does this ask for our involvement OR what the organization does?
-Size of organization -- How are you all putting size? Number of employees/volunteers? Annual budget?
-Dates of involvement
-Offices held
-Average number of hours spent per month
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
rajiv1984 wrote:
Does anyone know if Haas allows a week or so after the R1 deadline (16th october) for recommenders to submit their recos? I recently found out BOOTH allowed a week after their Oct 3rd deadline for recommendations to be turned in. Thanks in advance.

Hi Rajiv,

Apparently they do. This is from the website
Quote:
As long as you have submitted your application and paid the application fee by the deadline, it is acceptable for your recommender to submit the letter of recommendation a few days after the deadline date. Please keep in mind that without two letters of recommendation, you application will be considered incomplete and cannot be reviewed until both letters have been received.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  32   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts