Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Nov 2014, 19:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Haas (Full Time MBA) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.6
WE: Law (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 4

Re: Haas (Full Time MBA) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 09:33
lawgirl27 wrote:
Waitlisted! I was not invited to interview and had already made my mind for the ding, so this is good news :)

Maybe you took the 1 lawyer spot at Anderson and I stole the one at Haas?! :wink:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Re: Haas (Full Time MBA) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 13:04
I would agree with the assessment that Haas is very much about fit and the story.

I can say that I am in a competitive demographic group, have fairly "normal" work experience, have so-so academics. However, I did spend a ridiculous amount of time refining my essays and key messages - and the Stephanie specifically mentioned during my admit call that they really enjoyed reading about my story.

Long story short, I think that everyone has a chance at getting into a top MBA. If you commit enough time and effort, you'll get into a good program...!
Current Student
Schools: Anderson '16 (M)
WE: Law (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 6

Re: Haas (Full Time MBA) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2014, 02:18
ProleFeed13 wrote:
lawgirl27 wrote:
Waitlisted! I was not invited to interview and had already made my mind for the ding, so this is good news :)

Maybe you took the 1 lawyer spot at Anderson and I stole the one at Haas?! :wink:

hahahaha :lol:

Maybe... :roll: who knows? Anyway, I am pretty sure you didn't steal it, you earned it! :)
Anyway, I don't think they only take up one lawyer!!! LOL

Congrats on you admits! have you decided where you are heading?
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.6
WE: Law (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 4

Re: Haas (Full Time MBA) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2014, 12:31
lawgirl27 wrote:
ProleFeed13 wrote:
lawgirl27 wrote:

hahahaha :lol:

Maybe... :roll: who knows? Anyway, I am pretty sure you didn't steal it, you earned it! :)
Anyway, I don't think they only take up one lawyer!!! LOL

Congrats on you admits! have you decided where you are heading?

Haha, who knows--if it is just one, I'm fine being the token :-D . I haven't really decided and it will probably be a last minute decision, depending on $ offered and my girlfriend's input. Or a coin-flip!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas (Full Time MBA) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2014, 00:42
any pointers for interview?
Current Student
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.84
WE: General Management (Education)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 22

Re: Haas (Full Time MBA) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2014, 06:47
scrapydoo wrote:
any pointers for interview?

Hi scrapydoo, my interview was with an alum and it threw me off guard a bit because he didn't ask any of the typical "tell me about a time when ____" questions I had prepared to answer. Instead, he asked very specific questions about my resume. I think, however, that this may be his personal style. Personally, after being admitted at Haas but rejected at Kellogg when I actually thought my Kellogg essays were better, I think that these schools, and Haas in particular, are looking for the right "fit." I think Haas takes their core values very seriously and is looking for people who embody those core values, so that is what you want to come across in the interview. From the beginning of my application process, several people said they thought I'd be admitted to Haas because their core values are so perfectly in line with my own. I know the "be yourself" advice is kind of annoying, but I think it's accurate. Demonstrate what your values are and give examples to back them up.
For more practical advice though: the STAR method is very helpful - that is when you frame your stories according to: situation, task, action steps, results. I did this for a few key highlight stories and it helped me to say everything I wanted to say without rambling. Also, talk to current/former students, I didn't do this for my Kellogg interview, whereas for my Haas interview I had talked with several current students. I think it's important to show that you're excited about the school and be able to name specific classes, professors, programs and/or clubs you want to be a part of. You can get this from the website of course, but I think being able to say that you talked with current or former students about these things is better. Good luck!
Expert Post
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 170

Kudos [?]: 1075 [0], given: 996

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Haas (Full Time MBA) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2014, 22:26
Expert's post
Hello GMATCLUB Members,

GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting are conducting a webinar for the applicants got dinged this year. This is your opportunity to get expert guidance and build a smart strategy for the next application round/season. Webinar will be conducted by Admissionado's Founder and HBS Alum Jon Frank. Jon will share his suggestions followed by a Q&A session - this is your opportunity to ask your specific questions.

One lucky attendee will get the opportunity to have his/her (dinged) profile evaluated by Jon Frank during the session. If you'd like to be chosen for this opportunity, please email info@admissionado.com with the subject line "GMAT Club Webinar - Choose me!". Please include your name, nationality, age, GMAT score and a list of schools where you were dinged. And please also attach your essays + resume + LORs from one of your applications. Winner will be notified via email on April 16th!

Here are the details of Webinar

Title :- Dealing with a Ding
Day & Date :- Thursday, April 17, 2014
Time :- 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM EDT
NOTE :- There are only 100 spots available, so sign up early!

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas (Full Time MBA) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2014, 15:42
Just wondering if any Round 3 applicants have received interview invites?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas (Full Time MBA) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2014, 09:03
Yes. Applied R3 (March 12th), Invited Interview (April 10th), had On-Campus Interview on the week of April 21st. 1hr long, basic why MBA, why Haas, ST & LT goal questions.
Expert Post
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 170

Kudos [?]: 1075 [0], given: 996

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Haas (Full Time MBA) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 04 May 2014, 04:44
Expert's post
Thank you everybody who attended the latest webinar jointly organized by GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting for the applicants got dinged this year.

For the members who could not attend this event, we have posted the webinar recording in the main post of this thread.

Check out this link for free ding analysis offer by Admissionado.

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

A Walmart-to-Google Career Change [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2014, 12:16
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: A Walmart-to-Google Career Change
Trading Furbies for Fruit Ninjas, Amy Thompson moved from a role as senior toy buyer with Walmart to manager at Google—during her first year in the Evening & Weekend Berkeley MBA Program. She now manages retail partnerships for Google Play, an Android platform for apps and digital media.

Thompson’s move reflects a frequent occurrence at Berkeley-Haas: students who change careers while earning their degrees. In a survey of recent graduates of the Evening & Weekend Berkeley MBA Program, 32 percent of respondents reported changing careers. Those who did grew their salaries by, on average, 44 percent, from a mean base of $93,640 to $119,821.
Thompson, MBA 15, had spent her career at Walmart. “I felt my work experience was strong, but wanted additional perspective on business,” she says of her decision to pursue her MBA.

“At Walmart I really enjoyed having responsibility for everything from financial plans and budgets to how products are presented in stores,” she says, “but the business is obviously very established, so work was focused on incremental growth.”

As Partner Manager, Thompson is a regional lead for Google Play gift cards, with a focus on launching business in new countries, which is what appealed to her. “I came in at the beginning stages, with a lot of structure to be built,” she says. In her first year she has overseen the Americas and launched the gift card business in Australia, New Zealand, and Mexico.

This opportunity opened with a recruiter reaching out to Thompson via LinkedIn; it closed with support from her Berkeley MBA network. “Written recommendations are an important part of the Google hiring process,” she says. “If you have people at Google who recommend you, that goes a long way; two of my cohort mates did that for me.”

“People in the Berkeley MBA Program are some of the best I’ve gotten to know over the course of my career,” says Thompson. “Through relationships at Haas, I’ve learned much about other industries that’s brought me to where I am today.”

Thompson recently marked one year at Google. “When I took a step back and realized all that has happened, from completing my first year at Berkeley-Haas to launching three countries and building out my team at Google, it was incredible. If that’s just the past year, I can’t imagine what the next couple of years will hold.”

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Berkeley Solver Series [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2014, 12:16
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Berkeley Solver Series
At Haas, we often discuss taking advantage of the Berkeley community and collaborating with other graduate programs. This spring, Haas Technology Club (HTC) and the Foundry @ CITRIS, a Berkeley start-up incubator, decided to work together and kick-off the Berkeley Solver Series. The idea was to create a monthly event consisting of Haas MBAs and Foundry team members to increase collaboration between the two groups. A Foundry team would present a current challenge facing their start-up, and we would divide into teams comprised of members of both programs to brainstorm potential solutions. At the end of the event, the teams would present their solutions to the whole group.

We kicked off our first session on April 15th at the Foundry’s Invention Studio on Berkeley’s campus, with 12 MBAs and 10 Foundry team members. The presenting team was Clairity, a start-up developing a personal air quality sensing device that wirelessly communicates with users’ smart devices. The app will use crowdsourced data from the portable sensors to generate real-time pollution maps of cities, allowing users to search for public venues or navigation routes with low exposure. Clairity asked the group to help them develop a business plan and monetization strategy for their product.

Clairity team members Hannah Hagen and David Lu present their business challenge (Photo credit: Matt Wong)

After Clairity presented their challenge, we broke out into five teams and brainstormed solutions for 45 minutes. Each team then had 5 minutes to present their high-level solutions, followed by Q&A.

A team consisting of Foundry members and Haas MBAs presenting their solution (Photo credit: Matt Wong)

The event was a success, providing the start-up with a number of ideas to bring their product to market. All participating members also received access to Foundry speakers at an upcoming VC panel. We look forward to building upon the first event and continuing the series in the fall!

Contributed by Matt Wong on May 11, 2014

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Berkeley Solver Series   [#permalink] 09 Jun 2014, 12:16