Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 19:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Haas or Kellogg?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 58 [1] , given: 37

Haas or Kellogg? [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 16:07
This post received
KUDOS
I'm currently debating where I really want to apply and my list has come down to Darden, Ross, Tuck, and either Haas or Kellogg (maybe Duke but I'm not really into them). My stats are 3.3 GPA (econ, top 20 private school, transfered from a state school with a 4.0 after freshman year and it isn't included in that 3.3 but I don't know if anyone even looks at that...), 700 (43Q/42V low quant but I did econ and have a lot of quant stuff in my transcript so I should be ok, I hope), 4 years of WE in federal consulting, and good ECs after college.

My ultimate goal is to join a start-up or possibly start a business right out of school or potentially go into strategy consulting and then make the transition. So which is harder for someone like me to get into: Haas or Kellogg?

Personally, I'd much rather spend a few years out in CA than the midwest but I can make do if need be.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [1] , given: 195

Re: Haas or Kellogg? [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 20:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hey EChopeful12,

I think you might already know the answer. Kellogg is going to be a lot harder to get into when it comes down to the raw stats.
Other than stats - why Haas?
    If you are going to join a startup, then the Bay Area is a better environment. I know some Chicagoland loyalists would beg to differ, but I stand by this one.
    Even at Haas, don't say that you want to start up a business. Again, I know anything is possible, but consider the adcom's POV. They want realms of probability, not possibility. But you can say that you want to join an entrepreneurial firm with a start-up mentality in the short term. Long term - you can start up your own thing no problems.
    The reality is that you do want to start up something - so Haas brings a lot to the table here - https://entrepreneurship.berkeley.edu/r ... artup.html

Just thought I would chime in - take it or leave it! :P

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

EChopeful12 wrote:
I'm currently debating where I really want to apply and my list has come down to Darden, Ross, Tuck, and either Haas or Kellogg (maybe Duke but I'm not really into them). My stats are 3.3 GPA (econ, top 20 private school, transfered from a state school with a 4.0 after freshman year and it isn't included in that 3.3 but I don't know if anyone even looks at that...), 700 (43Q/42V low quant but I did econ and have a lot of quant stuff in my transcript so I should be ok, I hope), 4 years of WE in federal consulting, and good ECs after college.

My ultimate goal is to join a start-up or possibly start a business right out of school or potentially go into strategy consulting and then make the transition. So which is harder for someone like me to get into: Haas or Kellogg?

Personally, I'd much rather spend a few years out in CA than the midwest but I can make do if need be.

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Current Student
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 37

Re: Haas or Kellogg? [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 06:21
Thanks Paul! Definitely not going to tell them I want to start a firm immediately after school. I'm planning on leaving that for the long-term goals, etc. Your help is appreciated.
Re: Haas or Kellogg?   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2012, 06:21