Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 05:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Haas Thread Master
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE: Design (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 20:39
Msgorgeous wrote:
OMG....the deadline's Feb.21, well I cannot provide the official docments in English till that day..coz my university is on winter break!!!

MsGorgeous, I am pretty sure if you explain the situation to the university's admission office they will understand. They just want to make sure that whatever you said in your application was correct. So if I were you I would contact them right away and make sure that admissions office is aware of the situation.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 22:51
MALD2011 wrote:
Msgorgeous wrote:
OMG....the deadline's Feb.21, well I cannot provide the official docments in English till that day..coz my university is on winter break!!!

MsGorgeous, I am pretty sure if you explain the situation to the university's admission office they will understand. They just want to make sure that whatever you said in your application was correct. So if I were you I would contact them right away and make sure that admissions office is aware of the situation.

Thanks for your suggestion, and I did so. But admission officers stick on those original copies...Well I have to face the realty of missing the R2 deadline, it's my own fault. And hope everyone of you learn from this bloody lesson and prepare your documents asap in case you receive interview invites.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
WE: Law (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 05:05
This post received
KUDOS
Msgorgeous wrote:
Thanks for your suggestion, and I did so. But admission officers stick on those original copies...Well I have to face the realty of missing the R2 deadline, it's my own fault. And hope everyone of you learn from this bloody lesson and prepare your documents asap in case you receive interview invites.

I'd actually advise everyone to get those documents sorted out bona fide BEFORE you receive an invitation, especially if you have an undergrad institution that does not give out additional copies of your transcript and degree certificate. I'm a R2 applicant and I had to get my photocopies certified by three different institutions and the whole process took more than a month. Luckily I started before Christmas so I just had them ready when I received my interview invite a couple of weeks ago.
(Obviously if you do not receive an invitation then it's a waste of money and effort but at the same time it's a huge advantage not having to worry about it when you receive an invite and should be preparing for the interview itself.)
Haas Thread Master

Reviews Badge
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 07:43
I have the following message on my status page and I am not invited to interview yet. Still I want to make sure that I will have all the documents ready if I do get an interview invitation (Fingers crossed).

“We will require an official transcript from University of Grad in US and official transcript and degree certificate from University of UG in India if you are invited to interview. * Official or properly certified copies will be accepted when attested by the University which you attended.”

I am clear about the transcripts and I have certified copies in envelopes with my University or college seal on it.
I am little worried about the degree certificate though because I have a copier copy of that and it is certified by a district magistrate in India, and I am not sure if that works or not. I may not have enough time to get a certified copy from my university though. I also have the original certificate which I would be little hesitant to hand it to someone. If it helps, all my transcripts and certificates are in English.

My question:
Should I try to get a certified copy or notarized copy here in US from a Circuit Court clerk? Or should I bring my original certificate and the copy certified by the magistrate?
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 9

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 07:53
Did anyone from R3 receive an invitation or does anyone know whether they have already started assessing R3 applications?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
WE: Law (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 08:35
This post received
KUDOS
MALD2011 wrote:
I have the following message on my status page and I am not invited to interview yet. Still I want to make sure that I will have all the documents ready if I do get an interview invitation (Fingers crossed).

“We will require an official transcript from University of Grad in US and official transcript and degree certificate from University of UG in India if you are invited to interview. * Official or properly certified copies will be accepted when attested by the University which you attended.”

I am clear about the transcripts and I have certified copies in envelopes with my University or college seal on it.
I am little worried about the degree certificate though because I have a copier copy of that and it is certified by a district magistrate in India, and I am not sure if that works or not. I may not have enough time to get a certified copy from my university though. I also have the original certificate which I would be little hesitant to hand it to someone. If it helps, all my transcripts and certificates are in English.

My question:
Should I try to get a certified copy or notarized copy here in US from a Circuit Court clerk? Or should I bring my original certificate and the copy certified by the magistrate?

Try and get an "apostille" for it. Since both the USA and India are member states of the Apostille convention, theoretically it should be sufficient. I'll be able to confirm this in about a week's time when my documents arrive at Haas and I hear back from them.

In the meanwhile, you should inquire about the apostille certification process in your country. In my country, I first had to certify a photocopy by the university, then the Ministry of Education, and finally the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' consular service. But again, this process is different in every country, although I do believe that the final verification is handled by the MFA/Consulate everywhere.
Haas Thread Master

Reviews Badge
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 09:23
GPT55 wrote:
MALD2011 wrote:

My question:

Try and get an "apostille" for it. Since both the USA and India are member states of the Apostille convention, theoretically it should be sufficient. I'll be able to confirm this in about a week's time when my documents arrive at Haas and I hear back from them.

In the meanwhile, you should inquire about the apostille certification process in your country. In my country, I first had to certify a photocopy by the university, then the Ministry of Education, and finally the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' consular service. But again, this process is different in every country, although I do believe that the final verification is handled by the MFA/Consulate everywhere.

Thanks GPT, I am in US and Apostille service in India is going to take more than 2 weeks because I might have to ship the documents. In that case I will submit the original copy of the degree certificate. I will also call the university today to get the clarification on it.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 3

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 09:57
MALD2011 wrote:

My question:

If you have it certified by a district magistrate with a seal and signature, it should be sufficient IMHO.
Carrying a copy of the original degree certificate will leave no room for doubt.

I am wondering about my masters degree certificate. I might have to get a notarized copy of it.

My GMAT Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/third-time-s-a-charm-142800.html#p1145912
Quant Concept Videos : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/2012/07/gm ... ideos.html
My GMAT Blog : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Zynga on 06 Feb 2013, 13:49, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V35
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 23

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 13:23
Just received an email from Berkeley MBA - a generic one about how to finance one's MBA.... :evil:

How I wish it was an interview invite instead. They sure know how to play with our feelings
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GMAT 2: Q V

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 14:23
Yeah, and maybe it's just me, but it seems like Haas sends out a lot more advertising e-mails that get the heart pumping than other schools.
1 KUDOS received
Haas Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 14:39
This post received
KUDOS
sesamemochi wrote:
Yeah, and maybe it's just me, but it seems like Haas sends out a lot more advertising e-mails that get the heart pumping than other schools.

Try MIT-Sloan. :o
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 15:01
Expert's post
MALD2011 wrote:
sesamemochi wrote:

Not to hijack the Haas thread, but really, MIT is ridiculous. They ding me and then they still tell me to apply. Going to start putting it all in the spam folder soon...

Posted from my mobile device Image

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Haas Thread Master

Reviews Badge
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 15:04
aerien wrote:
MALD2011 wrote:
sesamemochi wrote:

Not to hijack the Haas thread, but really, MIT is ridiculous. They ding me and then they still tell me to apply. Going to start putting it all in the spam folder soon...

haha, I understand but you got that email because you agreed to receive it when you submitted your application. On MIT-Sloan's MBA application there was a box which said something to the effect that Sloan can share your application and information with other possible fit programs withing MIT. :)
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 17:35
Expert's post
MALD2011 wrote:
aerien wrote:
MALD2011 wrote:

haha, I understand but you got that email because you agreed to receive it when you submitted your application. On MIT-Sloan's MBA application there was a box which said something to the effect that Sloan can share your application and information with other possible fit programs withing MIT. :)

Aaahh, you are completely right! I DID keep that box checked ... not sure if Haas is the same way, but learn from my mistake...uncheck those boxes!! When you're filling out your applications, getting additional info from the school seems like a great idea; when you're on the flip side, not so much. :idea:

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 19:22
aerien wrote:
MALD2011 wrote:
sesamemochi wrote:

Well, more interesting story from one of my friends applying for CBS. She sent out an update letter to get off the waitlist before she noticed she was dinged from the waitlist that night. And the next day CBS replied, saying "thank you for your information, we will consider this information in your application...Please have patience while waiting for the final result." What a joke!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 22:05
AlanSmithee wrote:
Did anyone from R3 receive an invitation or does anyone know whether they have already started assessing R3 applications?

I'm an R3 applicant too - Don't think anyone's received an invite yet from the Round 3 pool. My status report reads "Your application is ready for review, but we may need additional materials before a final decision can be made. Please read the note below, which indicates what is missing from your application. Please feel free to call or e-mail us if you have any questions regarding these documents. " -- the documents they want are my official academic transcripts IF i'm invited to interview...

How about yours??
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 9

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 00:23
waitingawaiting wrote:
AlanSmithee wrote:

I'm an R3 applicant too - Don't think anyone's received an invite yet from the Round 3 pool. My status report reads "Your application is ready for review, but we may need additional materials before a final decision can be made. Please read the note below, which indicates what is missing from your application. Please feel free to call or e-mail us if you have any questions regarding these documents. " -- the documents they want are my official academic transcripts IF i'm invited to interview...

How about yours??

My application status is just "received". I have submitted it on 16.1. right before deadline. When did you submit?

I am little bit worried since from McCombs and Simon I received interview invitation next day after the deadline passed. So I am worried that this waiting from Haas and Stern may be a bad sign. :?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 03:43
I received an interview invite yesterday evening! I'm glad to listen to good news right after that ding from HBS.

I'm a round 2 applicant from Uruguay. Don't lose hope all R2! Haas has been pretty quiet with the invites (at least here and at BTG) so I'm assuming there are still more to come...
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GMAT 2: Q V

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 07:26
rsanchezprandi wrote:
I received an interview invite yesterday evening! I'm glad to listen to good news right after that ding from HBS.

I'm a round 2 applicant from Uruguay. Don't lose hope all R2! Haas has been pretty quiet with the invites (at least here and at BTG) so I'm assuming there are still more to come...

Congrats on the interview invite, and best of luck! My hope is fading even quicker now however as I'm based in the US :(
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q V0
GMAT 2: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 3: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 4: Q V0
GMAT 5: Q V0
WE: Research (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 134

GMAT Tests User
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 07:39
rsanchezprandi wrote:

Congrats!
I agree on the hope thing, I think I'm about to strike U.S. schools off the list with Haas soon. :shock:

How to improve your RC score, pls Kudo if helpful! http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-improve-my-rc-accuracy-117195.html
Work experience (as of June 2012)
2.5 yrs (Currently employed) - Mckinsey & Co. (US Healthcare Analyst)
2 yrs - Advertising industry (client servicing)

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 07 Feb 2013, 07:39