Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 06:47

Starting Soon:

Live Q&A Session with Cambridge Admissions Team   ||    Join Chat Room to Attend the Session

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Anderson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Reviews Badge
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 13:00
Thank You. Yes, I heard back midweek. Now I need to go visit campus to help make decisions. I have heard the go to the best school line a lot, but it is difficult to turn down money that will allow me to graduate debt free. We will see, and best of luck to everyone else.[/quote]

Were you also a R1 waitlister or R2?
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.66
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 2

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 15:44
mba20155 wrote:
Thank You. Yes, I heard back midweek. Now I need to go visit campus to help make decisions. I have heard the go to the best school line a lot, but it is difficult to turn down money that will allow me to graduate debt free. We will see, and best of luck to everyone else.

Were you also a R1 waitlister or R2?[/quote]
R1
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 18:07
Congrats pasutto, stoked for you!

Any chance you would be able to share your location?

Congrats again!

pasutto12 wrote:
latampmgmt wrote:
mba20155 wrote:
Does anyone know when R1 and R2 waitlisters from the 2012 application cycle started hearing back relative to the R3 decision date?

Yesterday was the deposit deadline for admitted R2 applicants, so they already know the class size admitted at R1 and R2. I hope we hear something next week

I'm a R1 waitlister who finally got the call yesterday from Stephanie - I'm in!!! From what she said, it sounds like they are revisiting the waitlist and making some decisions as they approach the R3 decision date. Good luck to others on the WL who are waiting to hear back!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 20:53
Whoknows wrote:
Congrats pasutto, stoked for you!

Any chance you would be able to share your location?

Congrats again!

pasutto12 wrote:
latampmgmt wrote:

Yesterday was the deposit deadline for admitted R2 applicants, so they already know the class size admitted at R1 and R2. I hope we hear something next week

I'm a R1 waitlister who finally got the call yesterday from Stephanie - I'm in!!! From what she said, it sounds like they are revisiting the waitlist and making some decisions as they approach the R3 decision date. Good luck to others on the WL who are waiting to hear back!

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks, appreciate it! I'm a US applicant from the Midwest.
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 02:57
Cool beans, Thanks for letting us know! Enjoy the celebrations!

pasutto12 wrote:

Thanks, appreciate it! I'm a US applicant from the Midwest.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 07:20
Any more interview invites for Round 3?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.37
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 07:35
This post received
KUDOS
Made it official yesterday by paying my deposit! Happy to connect with current gmatclubbers/future Haas students. I won't be attending Days at Haas but if you PM, we can connect over email or phone.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 11:16
Does anyone know if the same admissions team that reviews applications also reads scholarship applications / essays?

Some of the material from my application essays would work well with one of the scholarhips essays, but I want to be sure someone new will be reading it. Clearly I would not be cutting and pasting full essays, but want to at least use some of the same ideas.

Thanks in advance.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q V0
GPA: 3.8
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 13

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 12:42
This post received
KUDOS
Got an email from Haas - Waitlisted further! :(
Any others with updates on the Haas application? Any suggestions on what else I can do ? I did a campus visit, alum rec, another professional rec and letter of continued interest.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Reviews Badge
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 12:46
AspiringCan wrote:
Any others with updates on the Haas application? Any suggestions on what else I can do ? I did a campus visit, alum rec, another professional rec and letter of continued interest.

Got the same email too. I saw a couple of people on gc who got admission off the WL. Are there any more out there who got the same email or who was released from the waitlist? According to the email Haas released "many" applicants from the waitlist.
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 12:51
Still on the waitlist here also. Wishing everyone all the best!

mba20155 wrote:
AspiringCan wrote:

Got the same email too. I saw a couple of people on gc who got admission off the WL. Are there any more out there who got the same email or who was released from the waitlist? According to the email Haas released "many" applicants from the waitlist.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 9

Reviews Badge
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 12:56
This post received
KUDOS
whoknows wrote:
Still on the waitlist here also. Wishing everyone all the best!

mba20155 wrote:
AspiringCan wrote:

Wouldn't it be great if Stephanie calls us and says.. "April fools!!!!" and we're in? haha
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 13:09
i received the same email as well. best of luck to all who are applying!
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Haas '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 1

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 13:23
mth1214 wrote:
Does anyone know if the same admissions team that reviews applications also reads scholarship applications / essays?

Some of the material from my application essays would work well with one of the scholarhips essays, but I want to be sure someone new will be reading it. Clearly I would not be cutting and pasting full essays, but want to at least use some of the same ideas.

Thanks in advance.

I really don't know the answer here, but I can tell you how I approached it:

I figured that there is a Financial Aid team that is separate from admissions but has access to your original application package, and I assumed they'd at least review your application briefly when considering you for a grant or fellowship. With that mindset I decided to write entirely new essays, though obviously there might be some overlap in material. In one case, for the need-based grant, I briefly explained some circumstances and then included a parenthetical that basically said "I address this issue more extensively in my original application". I figured I didn't need to waste precious words (that essay was limited to 250) and that if the person reviewing my app really wanted to learn more they could dig up my original essays. I have no idea if this is kosher, but I did end up getting a need-based grant.

Some different fellowships might have different approval processes (if I donated a ton of money for a regular fellowship I'd probably want to have a little input in who got it, right?), so don't necessarily assume the person has combed through your entire app, but avoid the urge to recycle material if you can.

Hope that helps -- maybe someone with a little more visibility in the process can chime in.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.66

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 14:26
mba20155 wrote:
AspiringCan wrote:

same - in the still on waitlist bucket.
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 14:43
I have to admit, I chuckled repeatedly when I read this. But may I suggest that you never, under any circumstance, take a job to be on an Admissions Committee? Haha

mba20155 wrote:

Wouldn't it be great if Stephanie calls us and says.. "April fools!!!!" and we're in? haha

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 19:06
Still on the waitlist - had sent one profile update letter to the admissions committee.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.67

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 5

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 10:15
mrbucket wrote:
mth1214 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I really don't know the answer here, but I can tell you how I approached it:

I figured that there is a Financial Aid team that is separate from admissions but has access to your original application package, and I assumed they'd at least review your application briefly when considering you for a grant or fellowship. With that mindset I decided to write entirely new essays, though obviously there might be some overlap in material. In one case, for the need-based grant, I briefly explained some circumstances and then included a parenthetical that basically said "I address this issue more extensively in my original application". I figured I didn't need to waste precious words (that essay was limited to 250) and that if the person reviewing my app really wanted to learn more they could dig up my original essays. I have no idea if this is kosher, but I did end up getting a need-based grant.

Some different fellowships might have different approval processes (if I donated a ton of money for a regular fellowship I'd probably want to have a little input in who got it, right?), so don't necessarily assume the person has combed through your entire app, but avoid the urge to recycle material if you can.

Hope that helps -- maybe someone with a little more visibility in the process can chime in.

I had the exact same question when I was applying for scholarships, so I picked up the phone and called the financial aid office and just asked them outright. They were very friendly and forthcoming- I don't remember the exact conversation details, but who reviews your scholarship app depends on what you are applying for; for example, if you are applying for one of the academic ones (marketing, finance, etc.) people from that department review it (potentially along with some admissions folks? can't remember). Others have different people reading it. In any case, they didn't necessarily have my original application in front of them so I was told I can recycle stories if I wanted. That being said, I didn't get awarded anything, so perhaps mrbucket's approach was better.

I think, if in doubt, give them a call and ask about the ones you're looking at. Can only help.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
GPA: 3.89
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 11:52
kapilhede17 wrote:
Still on the waitlist - had sent one profile update letter to the admissions committee.

Waitlist continues for me as well. It seems as if it wasn't as selective as the email suggested. Good luck to everyone. Keep fighting the good fight.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 03:17
One more week until the R3 deadline......
Can't wait.
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2013, 03:17