Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 01:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 10:02
MBACLASS2013 wrote:
Meanwhile, anyone interviewed for R1 yet in this forum?
I heard it is a completely blind interview, as in the interviewer has no knowledge of your essays, GMAT score. Even the resume is provided to interviewer in real time.

I was interviewed earlier this week and it was a blind interview. The questions were around, "Walk me through your resume" " why MBA", " why now" and there was nothing about scores or other quantitative information. The interview style was conversational and very relaxing. Hope this helps.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 12

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 10:10
kayjay2012 wrote:
MBACLASS2013 wrote:
I heard it is a completely blind interview, as in the interviewer has no knowledge of your essays, GMAT score. Even the resume is provided to interviewer in real time.

I was interviewed earlier this week and it was a blind interview. The questions were around, "Walk me through your resume" " why MBA", " why now" and there was nothing about scores or other quantitative information. The interview style was conversational and very relaxing. Hope this helps.

thanks kayjay. your experience aligns with what most of the people have been posting at clearadmit. were there any detailed questions about the resume? did the interviewer clarify particular bullets or dates or responsibilities?

sounds like they don't care about extracurricular activities because I have not read about them asking those types of questions
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, International Business

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 11:25
If folks have had their interview, can they provide a quick overview of their experience?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas EWMBA '16

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 13:53
I have a question regarding the applicant summary (real time) in the original post. Why does it show R3 applicants status when we are still in R1 time frame? This doesn't make any sense to me. Is this thing accurate?

I just scheduled my interview yesterday. I got interview invite approximately 2 weeks after that. I think it's quite fast and I think it might have something to do with the frequency of my email communication with the Adcom. there were about 10 emails back and forth. So that interaction might have left an first impression (could be positive or negative).

My interview is two weeks from today. I am so nervous. I also have to give GMAT one last time in early Jan.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 14:13
I think that data is from last year. I might be wrong, admin can clarify that. If it is last year's data, I will suggest better to remove it because it gives wrong idea of application profiles and the decisions. (It should not even be from haas FT)

I don' t think interacting back and forth with Haas makes any difference as far as interview calls are concerned. I saw people starting getting interview invites next day to TG (1st week).

Also, a current student at Haas mentioned that they invite everyone for the interview. This is different from the stats given earlier.
I know it is little disheartening. I thought it was anywhere between 65-75% interview invites.

Looks like no one in this forum has interviewed yet!
Manager
Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 14:22
I missed the reply from kayjay2012 who has already interviewed.
Mind sharing who was your interviewer?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas EWMBA '16

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 14:25
MBACLASS2013 wrote:
I think that data is from last year. I might be wrong, admin can clarify that. If it is last year's data, I will suggest better to remove it because it gives wrong idea of application profiles and the decisions. (It should not even be from haas FT)

I don' t think interacting back and forth with Haas makes any difference as far as interview calls are concerned. I saw people starting getting interview invites next day to TG (1st week).

Also, a current student at Haas mentioned that they invite everyone for the interview. This is different from the stats given earlier.
I know it is little disheartening. I thought it was anywhere between 65-75% interview invites.

Looks like no one in this forum has interviewed yet!

A few posts above us is a post made by someone who has recently been interviewed.

Are you applying R1? Did you get interview invite?

I am so nervous. I haven't had sleep in 6 months or so ever since I started going full force at Haas. I am really going to break down and cry when the results are out cuz of how much effort and time I put in this. I wrote my heart out on those essays with number of drafts close to triple digits.
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 15:17
pinchharmonic wrote:
kayjay2012 wrote:
MBACLASS2013 wrote:

thanks kayjay. your experience aligns with what most of the people have been posting at clearadmit. were there any detailed questions about the resume? did the interviewer clarify particular bullets or dates or responsibilities?

sounds like they don't care about extracurricular activities because I have not read about them asking those types of questions

Yes, my interviewer did stop me a few times and asked me about dates and position held. Regarding extracurricular - there were no direct questions.

Last edited by kayjay2012 on 05 Dec 2012, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 15:20
MBACLASS2013 wrote:
I missed the reply from kayjay2012 who has already interviewed.
Mind sharing who was your interviewer?

I am not comfortable sharing the name of my interviewer at this point. I hope you understand my situation. I understand that everyone is feeling nervous about the interview process but as mentioned before it was highly conversational in nature - So relax and just be natural.

Last edited by kayjay2012 on 05 Dec 2012, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 15:27
Quote:
Yes, my interviewer did stop me a few times and asked me about dates and position held. Regarding extracurricular - there were no direct questions.

key kayjay, really useful information thanks. I didn't think they would go into details about dates and it's good to know for those of us who have been working for many years it's easy to forget when things happened.
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 15:29
pinchharmonic wrote:
Quote:

key kayjay, really useful information thanks. I didn't think they would go into details about dates and it's good to know for those of us who have been working for many years it's easy to forget when things happened.

You are welcome. Good luck with your interview.
Manager
Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 21:15
1ch1ban wrote:
MBACLASS2013 wrote:

A few posts above us is a post made by someone who has recently been interviewed.

I am so nervous. I haven't had sleep in 6 months or so ever since I started going full force at Haas. I am really going to break down and cry when the results are out cuz of how much effort and time I put in this. I wrote my heart out on those essays with number of drafts close to triple digits.

Yup I am R1 applicant and I am as nervous as you are. :roll:
Manager
Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 21:15
1ch1ban wrote:

Yup I am R1 applicant and I am as nervous as you are. :roll:
I am interviewing next week.

Last edited by MBACLASS2013 on 05 Dec 2012, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 21:19
kayjay2012 wrote:
I am not comfortable sharing the name of my interviewer at this point. I hope you understand my situation. I understand that everyone is feeling nervous about the interview process but as mentioned before it was highly conversational in nature - So relax and just be natural.

I completely understand your concern, just the anxiety prompted me to ask that stupid question :)
I know interview should be a breeze with all the experience we have, its just the stakes are too high!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 6

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 23:30
pinchharmonic wrote:
thanks packet. I'll be scheduling mine probably a week after yours. Goodluck to you. Maybe I'll see you on campus later on.

as for the 44% acceptance, I fear it may not be 44% this year. I read an article that Haas has already received 10% more applications this year than last and if that trend maintains for the entire application period, then the acceptance rate will fall slightly. Apparently most of the new applicants are out of state and potentially out of the country.

Are you applying elsewhere? I also considered the Booth and Kellogg part-time programs.

What's your industry?

I settled on only applying to Haas. The fit with the school seems perfect for me and if I'm going through the time and effort, it might as well be at a place I want to be. If I don't get in, I'll probably reevaluate from there, but for now this is it. Aside from Haas, I looked at Booth, Kellogg, and UCLA.

I'm in consulting. Thankfully Haas doesn't seem to be overrun with consultants. So, I might actually have a decent shot. Good luck everyone else on your interviews.
Manager
Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 09:11
packet82 wrote:
pinchharmonic wrote:
thanks packet. I'll be scheduling mine probably a week after yours. Goodluck to you. Maybe I'll see you on campus later on.

as for the 44% acceptance, I fear it may not be 44% this year. I read an article that Haas has already received 10% more applications this year than last and if that trend maintains for the entire application period, then the acceptance rate will fall slightly. Apparently most of the new applicants are out of state and potentially out of the country.

Are you applying elsewhere? I also considered the Booth and Kellogg part-time programs.

What's your industry?

I settled on only applying to Haas. The fit with the school seems perfect for me and if I'm going through the time and effort, it might as well be at a place I want to be. If I don't get in, I'll probably reevaluate from there, but for now this is it. Aside from Haas, I looked at Booth, Kellogg, and UCLA.

I'm in consulting. Thankfully Haas doesn't seem to be overrun with consultants. So, I might actually have a decent shot. Good luck everyone else on your interviews.

I agree as a consultant you'll probably have a much better shot than say an engineer. My hope is that there aren't a flood of candidates for 2013 matriculation, making it harder for even qualified candidates to be accepted!

much is in the bag now I suppose. perhaps blowing them away during the interview might help, but I've heard it's somewhat of a sanity check. hopefully it'll be a way to differentiate myself from the engineering applicant pool
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 09:22
pinchharmonic wrote:
I agree as a consultant you'll probably have a much better shot than say an engineer. My hope is that there aren't a flood of candidates for 2013 matriculation, making it harder for even qualified candidates to be accepted!

much is in the bag now I suppose. perhaps blowing them away during the interview might help, but I've heard it's somewhat of a sanity check. hopefully it'll be a way to differentiate myself from the engineering applicant pool

Yeah, Haas is one of the few schools that consulting may work in my favor. It seems every other program out there is overrun with us. I was a bit surprised to see Haas was only at 6%. I guess it makes sense since it's the Bay Area though.

I'd imagine most of the interview process is to account for admissions consultants. If you're a poor candidate that's been professionally polished, it should show in the interview. All you can do at this point is be yourself and try not to over think the questions they ask.

With the new exec program at Haas, I'd imagine this is a pretty good year for us to apply though. I had considered applying to the exec program, but the weekend one fit my schedule better.
Manager
Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 10:03
packet82 wrote:
pinchharmonic wrote:

Yeah, Haas is one of the few schools that consulting may work in my favor. It seems every other program out there is overrun with us. I was a bit surprised to see Haas was only at 6%. I guess it makes sense since it's the Bay Area though.

I'd imagine most of the interview process is to account for admissions consultants. If you're a poor candidate that's been professionally polished, it should show in the interview. All you can do at this point is be yourself and try not to over think the questions they ask.

With the new exec program at Haas, I'd imagine this is a pretty good year for us to apply though. I had considered applying to the exec program, but the weekend one fit my schedule better.

can you elaborate on how the exec program makes it better for us part-timers? i figured now that the prestigious columbia name was dropped, more local folks would want to go to the part-time program because at least they end up with the same degree as the full-time folks. are the # of seats in the new haas exec program going to be larger perhaps?

speaking of which, are the seats increasing for the part-time program?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 10:14
pinchharmonic wrote:

can you elaborate on how the exec program makes it better for us part-timers? i figured now that the prestigious columbia name was dropped, more local folks would want to go to the part-time program because at least they end up with the same degree as the full-time folks. are the # of seats in the new haas exec program going to be larger perhaps?

There's going to be some cannibalization from the part-time program for the exec program. The Berkeley-Columbia program required people to split their time between CA and NY. You don't have that with the new Exec program. Add that to the fact that exec programs are typically easier to get in to and this is the first year, there should be fewer applications to the part-time program. If I had the option with my schedule, I'd probably opt for the exec program since it'd theoretically be the easiest to get in to.

Yeah, the Columbia name being dropped may change things a bit, but Berkeley can certainly hold its own. Haas is a top program in its own right.

As far as I know, they're still planning on doing 4 cohorts of 60 people : Blue, Gold, Axe, and Oski. So, same number of spots as last year. The main difference is there's going to be more capacity in the Exec program.
Manager
Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 09:24
packet82 wrote:
pinchharmonic wrote:

There's going to be some cannibalization from the part-time program for the exec program. The Berkeley-Columbia program required people to split their time between CA and NY. You don't have that with the new Exec program. Add that to the fact that exec programs are typically easier to get in to and this is the first year, there should be fewer applications to the part-time program. If I had the option with my schedule, I'd probably opt for the exec program since it'd theoretically be the easiest to get in to.

Yeah, the Columbia name being dropped may change things a bit, but Berkeley can certainly hold its own. Haas is a top program in its own right.

As far as I know, they're still planning on doing 4 cohorts of 60 people : Blue, Gold, Axe, and Oski. So, same number of spots as last year. The main difference is there's going to be more capacity in the Exec program.

Thanks great info. I'd be interested to know if students are allowed to apply to both the exec and part-time programs at the same time. And if so, will the adcom review these applications differently? Perhaps giving the students a choice? I do recall a question on our EWMBA application that asked us to check if the EMBA would be a program we're interested in (or something to that effect).

I'm sure there are folks in my camp -- absolutely set on the EWMBA flavor -- and some who would be willing to go to either or maybe even favoring EMBA.

In any case, I'm a bit disappointed they didn't increase the seats for the EWMBA program. I went through the 2012 thread for EWMBA and it appears so many qualified folks (practically all from engineering) were waitlisted and then denied.
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 07 Dec 2012, 09:24