Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 6

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 18:03
jinj wrote:
Seems like they changed for R2. In the application decision email, there's a link to the admitted student website and within the website, there's a link to the fb page. I haven't paid yet. :wink:

That's definitely a change then. Wonder why Haas is at 45 and Anderson is at 120 then. Strange.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.66

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 2

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 18:10
Packet you are right, the chances are slimmer as compared to those of last week but still I am trying to strengthen my application for last round.
I was wondering if I can call in Haas and ask what might be holding my profile back. Although I am sure they will reply with a generic answer about competitiveness nature of the program!
I have concerns about my 660 GMAT and given the amount of time I have, it will be an uphill task to prepare again and beat that score.[/quote]

Although if you were to retake the GMAT and score better it would demonstrate an incredible amount of passion for the program. Not that you should retake or anything :)[/quote]

Or it simply shows that you are trying harder to get into any and every program and has no direct bearing on your passion for Haas whatsoever. Me scoring a 760 on the GMAT does not mean I am passionate about any program, it means I worked my butt off to have a shot at any top program. Retaking the GMAT and scoring better would show the same thing.
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V39
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 21:16
thebdouglas wrote:
Or it simply shows that you are trying harder to get into any and every program and has no direct bearing on your passion for Haas whatsoever. Me scoring a 760 on the GMAT does not mean I am passionate about any program, it means I worked my butt off to have a shot at any top program. Retaking the GMAT and scoring better would show the same thing.

Yes but unlike you this individual does not seem to have applied to a plethora of programs. It's all about your circumstance and how you message it to adcom.
Current Student

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 21:24
thebdouglas wrote:

Oh and congrats on your 760. Super impressive.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 05:36
thebdouglas wrote:

Generally speaking, if you're applying to part-time programs, you're only going to be applying to one or two schools.

Retaking the GMAT is about removing weak spots in your profile. At this point in the game, there aren't many options for improving your profile. If you have a GMAT score below the average for the school, it's probably a good idea to retake the GMAT. It shows effort and may move you ahead of other on the list, which is your goal.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 10:20
FYI. For those looking to join the weekend cohort, clarification on the first day of class. The FAQ section of the admit email indicated August 10th while the Fall 2013 Academic Calendar pdf on their website had August 17th. I called the Admissions office (spoke with Jen) and they confirmed that the first day of class for weekend cohort is in fact August 17th.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 13:54
packet82 wrote:
Generally speaking, if you're applying to part-time programs, you're only going to be applying to one or two schools.

Retaking the GMAT is about removing weak spots in your profile. At this point in the game, there aren't many options for improving your profile. If you have a GMAT score below the average for the school, it's probably a good idea to retake the GMAT. It shows effort and may move you ahead of other on the list, which is your goal.

Another option to improve the profile is to complete the Math/Stats Pre-req. It not only shows commitment but also that there are no potential roadblocks to join if admitted - especially for WL folks. Clearing pre-reqs also helps in case you are on WL after 30-May and vacancies open up in mid-June.
Also for WL folks, although additional materials date may be at the end of April, you have time probably till 10 days before decision date to improve GMAT or complete pre-reqs.
Current Student

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 13:55
yaank216 wrote:
FYI. For those looking to join the weekend cohort, clarification on the first day of class. The FAQ section of the admit email indicated August 10th while the Fall 2013 Academic Calendar pdf on their website had August 17th. I called the Admissions office (spoke with Jen) and they confirmed that the first day of class for weekend cohort is in fact August 17th.

Good to know. Thanks buddy.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 14:27
I got a mid 600 score myself and was waitlisted. IMHO I have a pretty good profile and I'm pretty positive that this score is my weakness. Haas requires all updates to be submitted by April 25th. That leaves 22-23 days to improve my GMAT score. I'm 3+ months removed from anything GMAT related. I honestly feel like that is not enough time.

I know some people would say, "if you really want Haas then you'll definitely do anything to improve your chances" i.e. retake the GMAT. But I don't know if that is good use of my time. Especially since I am planning to take the stats waiver next month.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 14:39
InABubble wrote:
I got a mid 600 score myself and was waitlisted. IMHO I have a pretty good profile and I'm pretty positive that this score is my weakness. Haas requires all updates to be submitted by April 25th. That leaves 22-23 days to improve my GMAT score. I'm 3+ months removed from anything GMAT related. I honestly feel like that is not enough time.

I know some people would say, "if you really want Haas then you'll definitely do anything to improve your chances" i.e. retake the GMAT. But I don't know if that is good use of my time. Especially since I am planning to take the stats waiver next month.

You're right, that's probably not enough time. Aside from passing the stats waiver, there's not a whole lot left that you can do.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 5

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 17:55
yaank216 wrote:

The first day of class may be August 17th, however, expect to spend 2.5 days the weekend before at the mandatory orientation (required for all cohorts).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 17:58
HaasEWMBA2015 wrote:
yaank216 wrote:

The first day of class may be August 17th, however, expect to spend 2.5 days the weekend before at the mandatory orientation (required for all cohorts).

Orientation is actually on August 2nd this year.
Current Student

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 19:15
Since it's getting relatively quiet here I thought some of you might find this article interesting:
http://blogs.wsj.com/accelerators/2013/04/01/vivek-wadhwa-why-i-no-longer-advise-startups-to-hire-m-b-a-s/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 06:29
riskall wrote:
Since it's getting relatively quiet here I thought some of you might find this article interesting:
http://blogs.wsj.com/accelerators/2013/04/01/vivek-wadhwa-why-i-no-longer-advise-startups-to-hire-m-b-a-s/

Well, he's coming at it from the perspective of having gone to NYU Stern. Stern is a school that is primarily focused on finance. So, no surprise he thinks MBA students are finance focused.

The rest of the article mentioning how somehow business is different now reads a lot like the articles I used to read during the dotcom bubble.
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: 650 Q V
GPA: 3.53

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 10:46
packet82 wrote:
jinj wrote:
Seems like they changed for R2. In the application decision email, there's a link to the admitted student website and within the website, there's a link to the fb page. I haven't paid yet. :wink:

That's definitely a change then. Wonder why Haas is at 45 and Anderson is at 120 then. Strange.

Anyone can view the group's numbers/existence by logging into facebook and visiting the group page by searching for "haas ewmba 2016."

You just can't join and see the page's activity if you've not been admitted, but you can still look at the member list and see that there are 60 members, 3 of whom are admins. It also states when folks were added by admins in the member list, and it looks like they were adding lots of people right away after they were admitted at the end of March, so the deposit doesn't appear to be required to join the group. Same deal for the linkedin page - you can easily search for it, and see how many members it has.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 17:03
Bing85 wrote:
packet82 wrote:
jinj wrote:

Anyone can view the group's numbers/existence by logging into facebook and visiting the group page by searching for "haas ewmba 2016."

You just can't join and see the page's activity if you've not been admitted, but you can still look at the member list and see that there are 60 members, 3 of whom are admins. It also states when folks were added by admins in the member list, and it looks like they were adding lots of people right away after they were admitted at the end of March, so the deposit doesn't appear to be required to join the group. Same deal for the linkedin page - you can easily search for it, and see how many members it has.

Deposit can be made online so technically there is no wait time to get added to the group. Anyone can request to be added to the group but my guess is that the admin only accepts the request after the payment is made. I am sure there are a few who will wait till 15-Apr to make the payment and then join and there will be some who are not too keen to join the FB group.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 19:51
packet82 wrote:
Bing85 wrote:
someone79 wrote:
can someone suggest study material for statistics waiver exam? Please respond.

Your best bet is this rather detailed blog post by someone who already took the stats waiver and indicates a textbook to use, and where to spend your time. I'm too new on the forum to "post links" so go to pawanagarwal [dot] com - it's someone's blog, and it's the most recent post.

Columbia's MBA program actually posted their whole math/stats boot camp course online - it includes a pre-assessment so you can ascertain where you're weak, a course, and a post-assessment. Again, can't post the link, but you can find it easily by typing the following into Google: "premba analytical methods" Columbia

Hope this helps those studying for the stats waiver! I'm going to try to use the Columbia resource for the math waiver, but would appreciate any suggestions from anyone who may have already taken it?!

This is what someone on the facebook page had to say about the exam:

"Hi folks, I took the stats waiver exam last Friday. I hope this information is helpful for those planning on taking the Stats waiver exam in April. The pass rate is about 60%.
1. 1/4 of the exam was pretty basic, simple calculations for data summary and simple probability.
2. Probability questions made up a significant of portion of the exam, especially conditional probability and binomial distribution.
3. CLT, CI, and hypothesis were tested in multiple questions, including critical value, linear regression, and basic ANOVA.
4. Knowing the F-distribution definitely helps."

Are there any other practice questions out there other than the Columbia website that are similar to the waiver exam? Taking the waiver exam on Saturday and want to get a sense of the level of difficulty.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 07:05
Hi guys, do you know if we can take an online statistics course to complete the statistics req?

Do you know where can I find information about the Stats course we can take at Berkeley to cover this requirement? If not, do you remember how it cost? was it online? what were the course dates?

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 07:09
pharaohs80 wrote:
Hi guys, do you know if we can take an online statistics course to complete the statistics req?

Do you know where can I find information about the Stats course we can take at Berkeley to cover this requirement? If not, do you remember how it cost? was it online? what were the course dates?

Thanks!

There are two options. You can either take the stats class through Berkeley extension or the Haas Data & Decisions Workshop.

Here's the info for the workshop:

Dates: April 18 to May 30 (Online Final Exam: Monday, June 3); required live sessions are Thursdays from 7-9pm
Grading Criteria: Pass/fail. Online final exam will be administered on Monday, June 3
Instructor: Gregory LaBlanc (see below for bio)
Cost: $1,000.00 non-refundable fee (includes course materials)

The extension course is self paced and offers no instruction. You buy a textbook and do assignments out of the book. There is then a 3 hour final, which is basically the stats waiver exam. Total cost for the course is ~$1000 after you buy the book.

If you have a choice, take the workshop. There's another one coming up in june if you can't make this one.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 08:19
packet82 wrote:
pharaohs80 wrote:

Thanks!

There are two options. You can either take the stats class through Berkeley extension or the Haas Data & Decisions Workshop.

Here's the info for the workshop:

Dates: April 18 to May 30 (Online Final Exam: Monday, June 3); required live sessions are Thursdays from 7-9pm
Grading Criteria: Pass/fail. Online final exam will be administered on Monday, June 3
Instructor: Gregory LaBlanc (see below for bio)
Cost: $1,000.00 non-refundable fee (includes course materials)

The extension course is self paced and offers no instruction. You buy a textbook and do assignments out of the book. There is then a 3 hour final, which is basically the stats waiver exam. Total cost for the course is ~$1000 after you buy the book.

If you have a choice, take the workshop. There's another one coming up in june if you can't make this one.

Thanks packet :) You rock!
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2013, 08:19