Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 03:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [1] , given: 12

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 17:40
This post received
KUDOS
hey everyone, I had my interview yesterday. Overall, I'd say it was a good experience. I feel I could have answered some questions better, but I think the nerves got to me, at least for the first 10 minutes.

Here are the questions I was asked

- Point out the career progression (this was really a walk me through your resume, but with an emphasis on career transitions in my current position)
- Goals
- Why MBA? Was not asked exactly like that, asked more like well if your goal is XYZ why do you need an MBA?
- Why Haas?
- What would your manager say about you?
- Tell me about strengths/weakness
- Tell me about a mistake you made.
- If you were CEO what would you do?
- how are you different than other engineers?
- Questions for me?

Now that I think about it, there were a whole lotta questions .. certainly more than I anticipated.

Engineers... stay non-technical

Best of luck to everyone.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 3

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 13:50
This post received
KUDOS
I finished my interview and here is a write-up of my experience which may help some of the other applicants:

I was there 30 min. before my scheduled time. I was asked to show identification and was checked-in. The interviewer was on-time and called out my name at the lobby. She was very friendly and we made some small talk on our way to the interview room. She was a member of the AdCom.

The questions were pretty straightforward as mentioned by previous interviewees:
1. Resume walk through.
2. Pointed at one of my experiences on my resume and asked a specific question related to it.
3. Short-term & Long-term goals
4. How would Haas help me in achieving them?
5. Strengths?
6. Weaknesses?
7. What would my colleagues say about me?
8. What can the class learn from me?
9. How am I different from other engineers who apply to Haas?
10. Pick one of Haas' principles and give an example.

I asked her a few questions about the program. All of this in about 30 min. They generally don't go over the time limit.

Good Luck, everyone!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 6

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 10:41
This post received
KUDOS
A couple of weeks left for the outcome on R1 applications. I hope they continue to call applicants for interviews and not waitlist them without one. :-)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V39
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 11

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 16:27
This post received
KUDOS
emomento wrote:
I am from the bay area so i can pick a day. i think the visitation day is only for non-local folks.

Ahhh....I guess being invited is a good thing regardless of where you live.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit, Leadership
GRE 1: 353 Q168 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 15:25
This post received
KUDOS
GoToHaas2016 wrote:
suchivuk wrote:
A couple of weeks left for the outcome on R1 applications. I hope they continue to call applicants for interviews and not waitlist them without one. :-)

I am also getting a little nervous as I did not receive an invitation for an interview yet :?

Hi Folks,

When did you get all application material in place? (reference, transcript, etc). I think they will start looking into your file only after they get everything. So stay tuned, no worries.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 6

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 08:45
This post received
KUDOS
For those that haven't had an interview yet, this was an email I saw on the full time thread. I would imagine the EWMBA program works much the same.

Stephanie Fujii
Executive Director of Admissions
Full-time Berkeley MBA Program
wrote:
Dear *******,
Greetings once again from Berkeley! It has been several weeks since you submitted your Haas application and I am sure you’re wondering what’s going on behind the scenes. At this point, I wanted to shed some light on the application process and address a few of the common questions we’ve received:
• I have not yet received an invitation to interview. What does that mean? It means that we are still reviewing applications. The Admissions Committee values the effort you put into this process and every application is reviewed by at least two readers. We have already sent out a number of interview invitations, but we will continue to invite candidates to interview over the next month up to the notification deadline.
• What happens if I don’t get an invitation to interview? You should not be discouraged if you do not receive an interview invitation by the notification date; we typically invite around 25% of our candidates to interview. Some applicants will be offered a place on the waitlist without having been interviewed. These waitlisted candidates are welcome to schedule an interview after the notification date.
• I have an important application update I’d like to share, is that possible? Since we are already well into reviewing applications we cannot guarantee that your new information will be considered. However, you are welcome to submit it to mbaadm@haas.berkeley.edu. Someone on our team will follow-up if necessary.
• I already had my interview. What happens now? As hard as it is to do, you wait. Your interviewer will submit their evaluation and the Admissions Committee will consider it in addition to the rest of your application. All admissions decisions will be released on the notification date.
• Can I expedite a decision before the notification deadline? Unfortunately, we cannot expedite an admissions decision under any circumstances.
• If I am admitted, what happens next? First, you celebrate! As you know this is a very competitive process so you are among a select group. You should be on the lookout for follow-up emails from Admissions, Financial Aid and current students with important dates, events, and ways to continue to connect with our community.
I hope this information has been helpful. I know this can be a stressful time and we appreciate your patience while we continue to review applications.
Stephanie
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 18:53
This post received
KUDOS
calstevej wrote:
rajcooper wrote:
Yeah, but if you're shooting for the stars (stanford), shouldn't you have the confidence to at least cross the moon (Haas FT)? Just saying...although it doesn't really matter at this point.

I did't apply to Haas because it was easy to get into. Quite the opposite, actually.

If an applicant gets waitlisted, do they have to wait until the R3 decision deadline to know whether or not they will be admitted?

From the email I received from the adcom -
"Those round 1 applicants offered a place on our waitlist will not be notified of a change of their status until the completion of our next round of applications (for example after round 2 decisions are released on March 28) and that may include a continued spot on our waitlist into round 3"

HTH
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 07:08
This post received
KUDOS
riskall wrote:
Packet...great response on the the linked thread and I completely agree with you...
You said you are from Seattle...I imagine you work for a certain large conglomerate on the east side?

Nope. I work for a mid-sized consulting firm. I actually don't have any ties to the Seattle area, I just want to live here and work doesn't care as long as I'm near an airport. So, I moved here from the Bay Area 3 or 4 years ago.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 5

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 17:02
This post received
KUDOS
MBACLASS2013 wrote:
I have lost my sleep :-D :-D
Last year the phone calls came one day prior to the published decision date.
If that is the case, it should be tomorrow.

Some calls came in the day of, and some admitted students mistakenly weren't called. I received an email admittance around 11:00am the day of last year. Best of luck to all of you!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 12:07
This post received
KUDOS
speedingdaemon wrote:
I had read somewhere on gmatclub that last year, approx 750 students had applied for the 250 seats.
That means a 3:1 ratio. Since we have 27 applicants this year for R1. We should see at least 9 admit calls this year too... :(

Two things:

1. Based on anecdotal data, we're more likely to see "above average" (as far as per round applicants) rate of wait listed folks in R1 as they identify candidates that are "pretty solid, but we want to have a better idea of our entire class makeup before we admit another engineer/bay area/consultant/whatever"

2. I would expect that folks that have A. applied in R1 and B. are active in this thread to be generally of a higher caliber than your average applicant.

All that said, smart money is on us all getting in and the call delay being a big prank.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 17:19
This post received
KUDOS
speedingdaemon wrote:
well... its over for today...
its going to be a looooonnnnnngggg wait tonight.. :(
hopefully tomorrow brings some cheer, else i am not sure what to do next... :(
gave up on a job offer last year to focus on my MBA aspirations...

Hopefully you'll get in. If you get waitlisted or denied though, it's not too late to apply to Anderson. I really only have great things to say about their program and the other students there. They're my second choice, but it's a great school. Professionally I keep running in to their alumni too. The last two principles hired at my firm are anderson alums.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 1

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 10:15
This post received
KUDOS
For everyone who are admitted already or might be put in WL today...
Upcoming chats:
Prospective Applicants: Join us for an Application Q&A Chat on Tuesday, March 5 at 12:30pm (PST).
Round 1 Waitlisted Applicants: If you were waitlisted during Round 1, please join us for a Waitlist Chat on Thursday, February 7 at 12:30 (PST). This chat is password protected.
Round 1 Admitted Applicants: If you were admitted during Round 1, please join us for a Financial Aid Chat on Thursday, March 7 at 12:30 (PST). This chat is password protected.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 09:38
This post received
KUDOS
My advise :
Know your resume, your switches and highlight your career progression.
and be relaxed, the interview is quite conversational.

Hope this helps.

mutemath83 wrote:
Hi,
I just joined GMATClub.
Congratulations to those who've been admitted!

Haven't had a chance yet to scour all the posts but this seems like an active thread.

I applied in R2 and I've been invited to an interview. Any tips on how to go about preparing for the interview? What questions to expect?, etc..

Cheers!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 15:02
This post received
KUDOS
mutemath83 wrote:
Hi,
I just joined GMATClub.
Congratulations to those who've been admitted!

Haven't had a chance yet to scour all the posts but this seems like an active thread.

I applied in R2 and I've been invited to an interview. Any tips on how to go about preparing for the interview? What questions to expect?, etc..

Cheers!

As others have said, know your resume, know what you want out of an mba, what you want to do in the future, and why you want to go to Haas. Be yourself and try to keep it light. If you look earlier in the thread, some people posted the questions they were asked.

Good luck.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 15:50
This post received
KUDOS
yaank216 wrote:
Hi - first time poster here, but have been following this thread for awhile. Am a R2 applicant and invited for an interview. I read the other posts regarding the interview questions - do you think the interviewers will ask the same questions going forward? Seems as if R2 and R3 applicants would have an unfair advantage. Thoughts?

There are other websites you can use to look up questions from previous years. All but one of the questions I got were the same that they had previously used. It's a pretty straight forward interview. They're just trying to see that you know what you want and can talk to someone you haven't met before without a problem. Relax and be yourself. If they want you, they want you. If not, there's nothing you can do about it.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 09:12
This post received
KUDOS
amylicious73 wrote:
@kris610: Not yet - I'm still impatiently eagerly awaiting my interview invite :)

@amylicious73 Hang in there. The decision date is more than a month away. I'm sure you will get invited. Use the time to know yourself better. Trust me, the more you know about yourself the better you will do in the interview.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 21:00
This post received
KUDOS
kris610 wrote:
amylicious73 wrote:
@kris610: Not yet - I'm still impatiently eagerly awaiting my interview invite :)

@amylicious73 Hang in there. The decision date is more than a month away. I'm sure you will get invited. Use the time to know yourself better. Trust me, the more you know about yourself the better you will do in the interview.

More than anything, know why you want an MBA, specifically an MBA from Haas. Also, be able to explain why you have changed jobs. If you haven't, be able to explain why you've stayed at a company for as long as you have.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 17:18
This post received
KUDOS
riskall wrote:
Dude....hope I can get in...I am assured of a study partner in Seattle that way :)

well, good luck. Now that I have a seat, I can truthfully say I'm rooting for all of you guys :-)

If you do get in, don't take the statistics class through Berkeley Extension. God that thing is worthless.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 17:34
This post received
KUDOS
kalips wrote:
Hi all,
I am new to this thread.
Congrats to all who made it to the EWMBA program and good luck to all aspirants.
My profile is Male/Semiconductors/700/7yrs/R3.
I am preparing the essays and have the following questions

First - Are there only three essays this year? (2 short essays and 1 main essay)
Second - For essay no. 2
2. a. What are your short term (3 to 5 years) and long term (10 + years) career goals?
b. How have your professional and personal experiences prepared you to achieve these goals?
c. Describe your plan to meet these goals. (250-500 words)
Does it mean that each part has to be 250-500 words ?

Hi Kalips,

The essay requirement for Fall 2013 is as follows:

Fall 2013 Short Answer Essay Questions
1. At Berkeley-Haas, the following four Defining Principles describe our unique culture and are exemplified in our student body. Please list one of the following principles and give a specific example(s) of how you have exemplified this in your life. (250-500 words) Please refer to the Haas website for more detailed descriptions of these Defining Principles:

A. Question the Status Quo
B. Confidence Without Attitude
C. Students Always
D. Beyond Yourself

2. a. What are your short term (3 to 5 years) and long term (10 + years) career goals? b. How have your professional and personal experiences prepared you to achieve these goals? c. Describe your plan to meet these goals. (250-500 words)

Fall 2013 Main Essay Question
Please tell us about yourself and your background. The goal of this essay is to get a sense of who you are, rather than what you have achieved professionally. You may include information about your family, where you grew up, your interests, or any other people or experiences that have influenced you. (1,000 word maximum)

The ENTIRE goals essay should be 250-500 words total, not each part. Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Sustainability, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.76
WE: Design (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 09:24
This post received
KUDOS
Kenny0929 wrote:
Folks,

I am a waitlisted R1 candidate. I am still deciding where to complete the Statistics Pre-Req. Couple of options:
1. Haas Data and Decisions Workshop: $1000
2. A class at De-Anza: ~$200

Not sure if taking the workshop is really any different from the class at De-Anza. However, in the grand scheme of things ($120k), $800 shouldn't be a big deal. But, would love to know the pros and cons. Could someone please pitch in? :)

Thanks!

Hi Kenny,
I'm currently a first year student in the program. I was just thinking about how I was on this board all the time last year and thought see how things are going for this year's applicants. I thought I'd offer some help since as a fellow waitlister I felt that I had less info than those that are accepted (the accepted people have a facebook group where they discus this sort of thing).

If you have ever taken any statistics course I recommend studying up and taking the waiver exam. Kahn academy and Hank Ibser youtube videos are a good resource. The waiver exam is tough but a lot of people passed it last year. If you don't pass you still have time to sign up for the Data and Decisions workshop starting in June. The people who took it last year said it was tough, but they learned a ton and the professor who taught it last year is awesome. One of my favorites so far.

I was a R2 applicant who was waitlisted and got in with R3 so don't lose hope. Some people were on the waitlist from R1-R3 and were accepted in the end. Good luck!
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 14 Mar 2013, 09:24