Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 3

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 17:04
packet82 wrote:
calculas wrote:
It is not about the applicant, it is about the class composition.

Lets imagine they get 150 application in R1 say all of them are Engineers. What are they going to do? Are they going to assume there will be no better engineers applying later? or are they going to assume there will be no other "type" of application in other rounds?

The whole rounds deal is to get that class composition right by giving priorities to applicants where deserved.

Yeah, I get that. My point is just that people applying to full time programs aren't really going to switch to a part time program later in the application season. They'd just apply to other full time programs. At that point they've already made the decision to quit their job, it's just a matter of where they go. I'm sure there are a few that switch to PT, but I doubt it's anywhere near a plurality.

I personally know a few of them who applied to Stanford, got dinged and are applying to Haas mainly because they don't want to move out of Bay Area! So, there are a few. Perhaps, not that many!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 17:11
Yep, by this time next week - we'll know our fate.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 6

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 17:15
Kenny0929 wrote:
I personally know a few of them who applied to Stanford, got dinged and are applying to Haas mainly because they don't want to move out of Bay Area! So, there are a few. Perhaps, not that many!

I suppose that makes sense if you don't want to leave the Bay Area and it may be easier getting in to the part time program
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 17:18
Kenny0929 wrote:

I wonder why they chose not to apply to Haas FT if they liked the bay area so much? R3 might still be open, I think. Convince them :lol:
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 3

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 17:19
That's because you can't apply to both FT and PT at Haas. :)

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 17:23
Kenny0929 wrote:

If they are applying to Stanford for FT, why not apply to Haas for FT and continue living in the Bay Area? Why do they want to ruin our chances for PT at Haas? :D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 17:25
speedingdaemon wrote:
Kenny0929 wrote:

If they are applying to Stanford for FT, why not apply to Haas for FT and continue living in the Bay Area? Why do they want to ruin our chances for PT at Haas? :D

12% admission FT, 44% part time. Much less competition with out of state candidates.

That said, you better have a pretty decent current job. The Peace Corps doesn't look as good for a PT admit.
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 17:32
Yeah, but if you're shooting for the stars (stanford), shouldn't you have the confidence to at least cross the moon (Haas FT)? Just saying...although it doesn't really matter at this point.

I did't apply to Haas because it was easy to get into. Quite the opposite, actually.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 17:37
On a side note, does AWA score have any importance in the GMAT exam?
I don't see anyone talk about it. If it is not important, then why don't the GMAT guys get rid of it?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 17:40
rajcooper wrote:
Yeah, but if you're shooting for the stars (stanford), shouldn't you have the confidence to at least cross the moon (Haas FT)? Just saying...although it doesn't really matter at this point.

I did't apply to Haas because it was easy to get into. Quite the opposite, actually.

Same here, but I understand the rationale.

speedingdaemon wrote:
On a side note, does AWA score have any importance in the GMAT exam?
I don't see anyone talk about it. If it is not important, then why don't the GMAT guys get rid of it?

As long as you get above a 4.5, you're fine. It's a test to make sure you can write full english paragraphs, nothing more.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 18:25
packet82 wrote:
As long as you get above a 4.5, you're fine. It's a test to make sure you can write full english paragraphs, nothing more.

Can't schools judge that based on the essays? Or do they assume that essays can be written by someone else and not the applicant?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 18:28
speedingdaemon wrote:
packet82 wrote:

Can't schools judge that based on the essays? Or do they assume that essays can be written by someone else and not the applicant?

There's nothing stopping someone from paying someone else to write their essays. Apparently it has been a problem in the past. Since the GMAT now takes your photo and supposedly makes it available to the school with your scores, it's a pretty easy way for them to match the two up.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 18:34
packet82 wrote:
speedingdaemon wrote:
packet82 wrote:

There's nothing stopping someone from paying someone else to write their essays. Apparently it has been a problem in the past. Since the GMAT now takes your photo and supposedly makes it available to the school with your scores, it's a pretty easy way for them to match the two up.

I meant essays in the application. Do the schools think that essays in the application could be written by someone else.
So lets have people write essays as part of their GMAT exam (which hopefully cannot be hoodwinked)...
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 670 Q40 V42
GPA: 3.98
WE: Accounting (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 18:47
rajcooper wrote:

If an applicant gets waitlisted, do they have to wait until the R3 decision deadline to know whether or not they will be admitted?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 18:51
speedingdaemon wrote:
I meant essays in the application. Do the schools think that essays in the application could be written by someone else.
So lets have people write essays as part of their GMAT exam (which hopefully cannot be hoodwinked)...

That's what I mean. There's nothing stopping someone from paying someone else to write their application essays. Like I said, I've heard it has been a problem in the past. That and add in all the 'application consultants' these days that edit and revise essays and adcoms have no idea if the essay is actually written by you.

Thus, the AWA. The testing center takes your photo and checks your ID. You are the only person that could have written that essay. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it shows you can write an essay in english.
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 18:51
Not really, they'll admit some R1 WLs in R2 also. But if you get WL'ed in R2, then you're waiting all the way to R3 decision date to know if you're in.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 18:53
This post received
KUDOS
calstevej wrote:
rajcooper wrote:

If an applicant gets waitlisted, do they have to wait until the R3 decision deadline to know whether or not they will be admitted?

From the email I received from the adcom -
"Those round 1 applicants offered a place on our waitlist will not be notified of a change of their status until the completion of our next round of applications (for example after round 2 decisions are released on March 28) and that may include a continued spot on our waitlist into round 3"

HTH
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 10:23
1 week !!! :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 11:36
suchivuk wrote:
1 week !!! :-)

its going to be either :m16 OR :marriage
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 11:40
@suchivuk, what is your GMAT score?
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 25 Jan 2013, 11:40