Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 02:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 07:14
This post received
KUDOS
Hahahah

Trust me I took the call while shopping for grocery :) - I saw the 510 number and just picked it. I did not ask for any early decision, I did not call. I am sure they called a few more, possibly outside of this forum. We are a very small sampling here. But why me? - no clue guys.

Here are the reasons I got
- low gmat
- younger side of the pool
- less experience

Again all the above are relative!

Good luck guys, I am very positive most of you will make it.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [1] , given: 12

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 13:50
This post received
KUDOS
packet82 wrote:
The average GMAT for the ewmba is 692. That's close enough to be a factor. Clearly it's important.

Posted from my mobile device Image

My position is

if your work experience is stellar, gmat is moot.
if your gmat is stellar, so what, show me your work experience

For instance, if you are a director at google/fb/MSFT, I don't think the GMAT will stop you no matter how low. Just glancing at the EWMBA website, you can see their "flagship" students and see the similarities. Work experience with proven leadership.

So the way I see it is, they use work experience, which includes recommendations, as the primary filter. Maybe GMAT and GPA are used as tiebreakers and just assurance that they can handle the coursework.

I think statistically, in any given year, you will never get 240 of those "high-powered" candidates applying to Haas, let alone 240 of them saying yes. However, I think you can easily get 240 candidates with 700+ GMATS though. I guess you can say that's looking at it from a supply side perspective.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 6

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 12:26
This post received
KUDOS
speedingdaemon wrote:
Which is why I wished we had less lurkers and more contributors on such threads. That would have given everyone a clearer idea on the quality of the applicant pool.

Some people see you guys as the competition and don't want to help out others that could take their spot. That's really just the way it goes. There's nothing you can really do about it and as it is, you get a lot more information these days than you used to. Back when I first started considering an MBA around 2005/2006 there was far less info available and the place to be were the horrible businessweek forums. At the time there was no way to see where you stacked up in the current class.

I guess it worked out well for me though since I was looking at NYU Stern at the time. Having graduated from another program at NYU, I'm glad I'm going to Haas.

At this point though I'm just happy to help people out, some of which will certainly become my classmates this fall and I'm sure I'll meet in person at orientation.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 1

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 16:07
This post received
KUDOS
by the way, unless you are working for a startup or for your own organization and if you are working for a big company... its not easy (definitely not impossible) to get upto a level where you can have many direct reports along with having significant influence (within 5-7 years of joining the industry)... i think we are confusing EWMBA applicant pool with MBA for executives... i am sure there are exceptions everywhere... but from what i have understood so far, you need to demonstrate passion for success and your past track record shows clear progression to the adcoms.. they know that we still are relatively new in our careers and have a long way to go and believe that MBA is one piece of the puzzle that will help us be where we want to end up being...
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V39

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 11

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 11:18
This post received
KUDOS
speedingdaemon wrote:
its soo weird that calculas received a phone call last week to be notified of his continued WL status...

I am sensing you are having a hard time dealing with that :)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V39

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 11

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 12:14
This post received
KUDOS
InABubble wrote:
haha I'm starting to get anxious myself. I applied and was admitted to FEMBA for R2. Since Anderson called us a week and a half in advance of the decision date there wasn't much build up of anxiety. But with EWMBA.....I'm going to start freaking out soon....

You know what helps calm your nerves is some green tea and playing some soothing music in a dim light. Another thing that might help is..........screw it...lets just all freak out together :lol:

Last edited by riskall on 26 Mar 2013, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 17:00
This post received
KUDOS
packet82 wrote:
speedingdaemon wrote:
he is from Seattle.. :)

Here's hoping that's enough to get me one of the 5 diversity scholarships :-D

Seattle... hmm.. yea grunge qualifies as a unique profile for diversity
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 20:47
This post received
KUDOS
Rollemba wrote:
Sure,

I'm another addition to the way over-represented category of engineers :)

Male, 6 years of WE in software engineering. Leading projects but no direct reports.
GMAT - 690
undergrad GPA - 3.35
grad GPA - 3.7

Desperately hoping to get in to the 24% slice of the admissions pie.

crap... :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 08:26
This post received
KUDOS
packet82 wrote:
speedingdaemon wrote:
pinchharmonic wrote:
If less stellar than the waitlisted folks, all of us are going to Haas!

I doubt that would be the case, everyone is equally good out here... I am sure with all the update/work all the WL folks have submitted prior to 1st March, we have made the adcom's job even more difficult for R2...

That's what they get paid to do and what you paid $200 for them to do.

wonder if anyone tried paying more than $200. instant-ding.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 08:28
This post received
KUDOS
pinchharmonic wrote:
wonder if anyone tried paying more than $200. instant-ding.

If you were in some specific parts of the world, that wouldn't have been a ding at all :D
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 09:20
This post received
KUDOS
packet82 wrote:
Rollemba wrote:
I didn't know that you could deduct tuition fees as a business expense. That's great to know. Should make the immense burden a little lighter.

Haas actually has a presentation they go through about it in orientation. I found the one from last year a few months ago.

In any case, it's legal. I deducted 100% of the cost of my MS back in the day.

Well, there used to be a PPT presentation on their website, but the FAQ is all I can find at the moment:

http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/EWMBA/fina ... n-FAQs.pdf
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.2
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 10:54
This post received
KUDOS
I had been staying away from the forums to keep from second guessing myself during the application process but I couldn't resist today. Here's hoping everyone recieves calls today!
-----
690 GMAT
3.2 undergrad GPA from the Air Force Academy
5 yr WE with Air Force intelligence with direct reports
1.5 yr WE as a business analyst and project manager in supply chain with direct reports
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 3

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 11:49
This post received
KUDOS
speedingdaemon wrote:
Well, definitely yes. Anyways, do you think they are calling in some order? GMAT score? Work-ex? Alphabetical order?

I think they have passed all the admitted candidate names into a "Random Generator" and are calling in the order that it spits out the names. :)
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 12:25
This post received
KUDOS
InABubble wrote:
I've come to the conclusion that I am currently dreaming.... 3 admits on this board at 1:20pm PST is far too few to make this day a reality. I would like to start this day over again...wake me up...

Technically 2 today. All the others acquaintances of people on this board.

It's not even 1:30 though. Give it some time.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 15:03
This post received
KUDOS
In! What a relief. Congrats to all other admits. Others: keep the faith!

680 GRE equivalent
3.3 GPA
4 years WE in consulting / healthcare
Bay area resident
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 15:43
This post received
KUDOS
kris610 wrote:
Those who got the calls today, how long did your calls last? Trying to do a lil' bit of math :)

hi everyone, i got the call about 45 minutes ago, well technically I missed it, then called her back. i was jumping up and down like a toddler while on the phone -- I was in a private phone room here at work.

the call was approximately 4 minutes. I think most calls might be longer.

I honestly was not feeling very positive about the whole circumstance, so the takeway here is, no matter how hopeless it may feel, just stick with it.

Also, I did ask for you folks waiting... They will continue to make calls tomorrow.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 16:07
This post received
KUDOS
finally wrote:
I was too nervous to call so made my wife call adcom ;)
They confirmed what we have been hearing so far - they will continue to make calls tomorrow and the online application status will change by tomorrow evening. Good luck all! Have a beer

lol! my wife is out for work... but she has been calling me every 30mins.. :D
every time the phone rang, i thought Haas... but then saw my wife..
seems to be a start of another bar joke... on the lines of... "speedingdaemon is sitting close to his phone waiting for Haas to call... the phone rings... but its his wife..."
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 17:30
This post received
KUDOS
Howdy folks: recent lurker coming to the party just in time to help clean up. Two questions:

* Any thoughts around potential benefit of having both the quant and stat prereqs satisfied and marked as complete prior to notification?

* Anyone hear from Britta today?

My profile: 660GMAT (92%tile IR, if that matters?), 6 yrs W/E consulting/cleantech, interviewed, strong/relevant reqs...

Wish I'd known with certainty much earlier today that Haas would be making admit calls through the 28th.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 23:50
This post received
KUDOS
Folks,

I want to wish every ounce of luck on this planet for the remaining waitlisters. God knows I empathize with what you are going through -- I mean I was in the same shoes just hours before I'm typing this.

One thing I thought would be interesting for you to know: Late last year I met a current Haas student at an info session. He was actually on the panel and was one well spoken friendly guy. We continued communicating after the session through email. I learned a lot about his story, what he loved about the school, and this went on and on for weeks. Not so long ago, we got on the subject of admissions. He then told me it took him three tries to get into Haas, but it was worth every minute because he's just floored by how it's changed his life. I had no idea.

I suppose you could see this story as the glass half full or empty, but I certainly used it as motivation. Had I not been accepted this year, I would not have hesitated to try again next year. Also, consider that there exists people who have done this agonizing wait three times before they succeeded.. it really helped me put this entire process into consideration.

Some of you are going to be waitlisted again only to be accepted later on this year, other may not be so lucky. For those who aren't as lucky, seek advice from these forums. I've seen two profiles that are seemingly similar that end up having two different fates, I don't see a good correlation of acceptances with GMAT scores or work experience. All of that data basically proves to me that the execution of the application itself is paramount. Small mistakes can be the kiss of death, so seek others on this forum for help. I'm no expert, but if anyone has questions about the application or how to articulate something, PM me.

again good luck everyone.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE: Other (Other)

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 11:14
This post received
KUDOS
I can't believe how lively this forum is and has been. I also applied to Georgetown evening. Got WL'ed. Their forum is completely dead, much like the school when I visited. I think this is a no-brainer for me. It'll be a long move from DC but worth every ounce of effort. For all of you who are still waiting, please hang in there. If it does not pan out for you this year, please do not lose hope. If you know that this is where you belong than fight for it and reapply. In any case, I hope to see all of you next year. Congratulations to everyone who has been admitted.
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 28 Mar 2013, 11:14