Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 19:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 3

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 10:00
calculas wrote:
Kenny0929 wrote:
Honestly, I am not sure why they make it so difficult. The next few hours is like watching a nice suspense, thriller movie!
There are 28 R1 applicants on this forum and we have only 6 admits (<25%) so far. I am guessing there has to be more. So, the only question is: When are they going to start calling today? If they have to update the online status by Noon, they would most likely finish calling by then.

Based on my conversations with AdCom directors at UCLA and Kellogg (pretty similar to Haas), a very very crude estimate for admit distributions might be something like this

15% in R1
40% in R2
40% in R3
5% in R4 (or from all waitlists)

Now if we assume that Haas under admits in R1, then that 15% will fall to may be 10% and the R2 will bump up 45%

Assuming a total of 700 applicant pool, approx 110 must have applied in the R1, approx 11 must have gotten their admits yesterday(?) (6 here) and the wild estimate would be that approx 9-10 might get waitlists today (?), now how many of those will be from this forum is an excellent question :)

(Feeling jobless today :) )

Why do you think they admit only 15% in R1? If I had known earlier, I would have probably applied in R2 or R3. :)
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas EWMBA '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 10:02
calculas wrote:
Kenny0929 wrote:
Honestly, I am not sure why they make it so difficult. The next few hours is like watching a nice suspense, thriller movie!
There are 28 R1 applicants on this forum and we have only 6 admits (<25%) so far. I am guessing there has to be more. So, the only question is: When are they going to start calling today? If they have to update the online status by Noon, they would most likely finish calling by then.

Based on my conversations with AdCom directors at UCLA and Kellogg (pretty similar to Haas), a very very crude estimate for admit distributions might be something like this

15% in R1
40% in R2
40% in R3

Now if we assume that Haas under admits in R1, then that 15% will fall to may be 10% and the R2 will bump up 45%

Assuming a total of 700 applicant pool, approx 110 must have applied in the R1, approx 11 must have gotten their admits yesterday(?) (6 here) and the wild estimate would be that approx 9-10 might get waitlists today (?), now how many of those will be from this forum is an excellent question :)

Will the 40% in R2 and 40% in R3 include wait-list from R1? or will All wait-list including R1 be admitted in R4?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 10:03
calculas wrote:
Kenny0929 wrote:

15% in R1
40% in R2
40% in R3

So much for the fact that "each round has equal weightage"... now i am contemplating if i should have taken more time and applied in R3... that would have given me a few more months to work on outside office stuff that i am engaged in and then talk about them in my application when they were near completion..
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 10:04
I joined yesterday. In R1, this is my first post. Haven't got a call and super nervous as well.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 10:05
packet82 wrote:
calculas wrote:
Kenny0929 wrote:

15% in R1
40% in R2
40% in R3

Keep in mind UCLA also has a really early R1. From what they said, they only get 10% of their application pool in R1 and something like 75% between R2 & R3.

There are ~35 students in the FEMBA 2016 facebook page (moderated by AdCom) so they must have admitted 35 in UCLA FEMBA R1. (Just another data point.)
Current Student

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 10:05
speedingdaemon wrote:
calculas wrote:
Kenny0929 wrote:

15% in R1
40% in R2
40% in R3

So much for the fact that "each round has equal weightage"... now i am contemplating if i should have taken more time and applied in R3... that would have given me a few more months to work on outside office stuff that i am engaged in and then talk about them in my application when they were near completion..

Exactly! You can do quite a bit in 3 months.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 10:06
Bbhatia wrote:
I joined yesterday. In R1, this is my first post. Haven't got a call and super nervous as well.

Welcome to the gang! :)
Can you please share your profile?
Current Student

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 10:07
calculas wrote:

There are ~35 students in the FEMBA 2016 facebook page (moderated by AdCom) so they must have admitted 35 in UCLA FEMBA R1. (Just another data point.)

That number could be more as well. It's minimum 35. So, what;s the class strength of UCLA's FEMBA program?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 10:08
Kenny0929 wrote:
calculas wrote:
Kenny0929 wrote:

15% in R1
40% in R2
40% in R3

Why do you think they admit only 15% in R1? If I had known earlier, I would have probably applied in R2 or R3. :)

In R2 and R3 you'd be competing against way more applicants, right?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 6

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 10:09
speedingdaemon wrote:

Well, that's why they tell you to apply when your application is the strongest. If you apply earlier you show more interest in the school though. It ends up being a wash and at this point, your application is already in. If you get admitted today, great. If you're on the WL, work on strengthening the app. If you get denied, then it's time to reevaluate your options.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 10:09
Kenny0929 wrote:
Exactly! You can do quite a bit in 3 months.

I was under the impression that applying in R1 would show that I am interested in Haas and that I am prepared ahead of those who will be applying in R2/R3...
Not that I have anything against R2/R3 folks, but the fact that I could have gotten more time, just kills me.. :(
maybe thats what they mean when they say "apply only when you think you have the best application"...
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 1

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 10:15
This post received
KUDOS
For everyone who are admitted already or might be put in WL today...
Upcoming chats:
Prospective Applicants: Join us for an Application Q&A Chat on Tuesday, March 5 at 12:30pm (PST).
Round 1 Waitlisted Applicants: If you were waitlisted during Round 1, please join us for a Waitlist Chat on Thursday, February 7 at 12:30 (PST). This chat is password protected.
Round 1 Admitted Applicants: If you were admitted during Round 1, please join us for a Financial Aid Chat on Thursday, March 7 at 12:30 (PST). This chat is password protected.
Current Student

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 10:16
Kenny0929 wrote:
calculas wrote:

That number could be more as well. It's minimum 35. So, what;s the class strength of UCLA's FEMBA program?

~325 students began in Fall 2012. So, that's about 12%.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit, Leadership
GRE 1: 353 Q168 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 10:18
Kenny0929 wrote:
15% in R1
40% in R2
40% in R3

Total quota is 250, so in round1 they will admit 250*0.15=37.5 people. Or if they under admit, they admit 25, and waitlist the 12+

Is there any number on how much percentage of applications they get in round 1?
Doesn't the number mean round 1 is a bad round to apply in? (Kinda contrast to what adcom says).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 10:18
packet82 wrote:
speedingdaemon wrote:

Well, that's why they tell you to apply when your application is the strongest. If you apply earlier you show more interest in the school though. It ends up being a wash and at this point, your application is already in. If you get admitted today, great. If you're on the WL, work on strengthening the app. If you get denied, then it's time to reevaluate your options.

In that case, the more you wait to apply, the more stronger your application will be... So potentially someone can end up spending all his life in just trying to strengthen his application... :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 6

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 10:22
speedingdaemon wrote:
packet82 wrote:
speedingdaemon wrote:

In that case, the more you wait to apply, the more stronger your application will be... So potentially someone can end up spending all his life in just trying to strengthen his application... :-D

Well, now you see why I'm entering business school at age 30 ;-)

If it makes a big difference to hold off on the application for 2-3 months, do it. If not, apply as early as you can. Especially if you're in an overrepresented career. I feel bad for the engineers applying to Berkeley. There's simply so many of you that a lot of good candidates get a WL or passed over entirely.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas EWMBA '16

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 10:24
Will the 40% in R2 and 40% in R3 include wait-list from R1? or will All wait-list including R1 be admitted in R4?
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 10:26
still no calls today? It really seems that all admitted folks had been informed yesterday. The rest here ..........
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 10:28
packet82 wrote:
If it makes a big difference to hold off on the application for 2-3 months, do it. If not, apply as early as you can. Especially if you're in an overrepresented career. I feel bad for the engineers applying to Berkeley. There's simply so many of you that a lot of good candidates get a WL or passed over entirely.

I wish I was a girl today... :)
Might have been easier to kickass of a few boys with similar profiles in engineering.. :(
Will I ever get into Haas with a software engineer title? :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 10:28
gruntling wrote:
still no calls today? It really seems that all admitted folks had been informed yesterday. The rest here ..........

I think its down and dusted for the rest of us...
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2013, 10:28