Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 09:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 11:20
This post received
KUDOS
I called the office and they said they are overwhelmed and will continue making the calls till evening.

So holding onto that iota of hope!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 6

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 10:14
This post received
KUDOS
someone79 wrote:
can someone suggest study material for statistics waiver exam? Please respond.

There's a Berkeley stats 21 class on iTunes. I've gone through about 1/2 of it so far and it's great.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [1] , given: 12

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 18:43
This post received
KUDOS
packet82 wrote:

It's a lot less impressive than you're thinking. He has a light sport aircraft. It's basically a honda civic with wings. He also doesn't have an apartment/house. So, it's a lot easier to afford expensive toys when you don't have any living expenses.

i've literally seen honda civics with wings in the rougher neighborhoods. they don't fly though.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 10:57
This post received
KUDOS
jinj wrote:
I literally went through their list of accepted college/classes to see which colleges have online/hybrid options that haven't yet started for spring. For those of you looking:
- mission 8.5 weeks. started on 3/25 though
- deanza 11.5 weeks. starts on 4/18
- foothill 11.5 weeks. starts on 4/18

I'm taking waiver this sat. I really hate stats, and in case i fail, wondering if i should take both community college and workshop (cuz i assume there will be more/better material?), or just the college class and be done with it.
.... leaning towards just college cuz of the $ haha, just hoping i won't miss anything from not taking workshop.

In my mind, this is just a prereq required for you to get in to the school. If you fail, you're screwed. So, take whatever you can with the greatest chance of passing. If you take a class that doesn't cover everything you can always learn it later in a lower stress environment.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.19

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 10

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 14:36
This post received
KUDOS
packet82 wrote:
gruntling wrote:
Thank you for your reply. Which one is better? Stats 2 or stats 21?

it seems 21 is more for business

I've been watching stats 21. It covers most of what we'll need to know. He doesn't cover CLT, but otherwise it covers the basics.

yea i would think stat 21 as well.
my undergrad was from cal and stat 21 was the prereq for most of quantitative studies/major.

also.. khan academy on youtube is a good resource.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: 650 Q V
GPA: 3.53

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 08:19
This post received
KUDOS
mutemath83 wrote:
Hi,
I'm a Round-2 waitlisted candidate. Has anyone waitlisted in R1/R2 sent a waitlist-update-letter (new stuff at work, promotions, raise, etc.)?

Did you send it as email-content or a separate document attached to the email and whom did you send it to?

Cheers!

During the waitlist chat someone pointed out that there was no place to upload materials, other than an employment update and a third letter of reference. They said additional materials like letting them know you're re-taking the GMAT/reporting an updated score, letting them know you're enrolled in a stats class, etc. should be emailed. I presume the general EWMBA admin email would route your update to the correct place. That address is: ewmbaadm@haas.berkeley.edu
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [1] , given: 12

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 09:23
This post received
KUDOS
himym wrote:
packet82 wrote:
himym wrote:
My interviewer gave me a visiting card with the generic ewmba email listed as contact. Did anyone send a thank you email to the interviewer ?If so , how did you get the email address of the interviewer ?

I didn't send a thank you note afterwords and they let me in R1. I wouldn't worry about it.

thanks for the quick response packet :)

It may not matter much, but it's something easy to do. Make the message personal and memorable.

After my interview, I emailed the main admissions address and asked them to forward to my particular interviewer.

ewmbaadm@haas.berkeley.edu
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 22:02
This post received
KUDOS
mutemath83 wrote:
jinj wrote:
i passed the waiver exam so i dropped the foothill class...

i probably will need some refresher eventually on regression though haha.

Congrats jinj!
What type of calculator are we supposed to carry for the exam?
Also, someone had earlier recommended pointers from here -> pawanagarwal dot com/2012/06/haas-school-of-business-statistics-waiver-exam/
What's your take?

Cheers!

i borrowed a calculator from my friend (who used it to take some professional exam), it wasn't graphing calculator, but for the test, all you need is basic function (+-x/ and power).

yea i used that site as study guide... However, I didn't have enough time to read ch. 14 and 15 for the regressions...

The main portion of the exam asked about basic stats (mean, median, mode.. variance, standard deviation), the skewness (1 question i think?), CLT, confidence levels, some z-table lookups, probabilities, combinations/permutations, and for random variables, just remember the ones mentioned in the haas prereq. pdf (hypergeometric was not on my test). And they did ask about covariance, hypothesis, regression, r-square, anova tables (which I didn't have time to study for).

Basically, the haas exam topic pdf is very true about what's being tested.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 08:52
This post received
KUDOS
mutemath83 wrote:
Do they provide calculators to those who don't bring any?

they did ask people if they needed pencils or calculators... but i didn't pay attention if anyone got one.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2013, 14:52
This post received
KUDOS
a lurker here...
they offer a basic calculator in the stats waiver. I would suggest that you follow the topic list to a T and you should be good. Also as per my experience they are quite liberal in teh grading...do show your work in the paper! good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2013, 21:56
This post received
KUDOS
InABubble wrote:
Were the questions all straight up calculations or were some of them were word problems? Ex. Company xyz has 30 employees, what is its IQR?

i would say they are mostly word problems...
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 13:41
This post received
KUDOS
Yes...majority were word problems.

BTW...hows everyone doing...its been quite here lately...did anyone from waitlist get a confirmed spot? or do they move people from the waitlist only during r3 decesions?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 3

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 15:03
This post received
KUDOS
packet82 wrote:
thebdouglas wrote:
Or it simply shows that you are trying harder to get into any and every program and has no direct bearing on your passion for Haas whatsoever. Me scoring a 760 on the GMAT does not mean I am passionate about any program, it means I worked my butt off to have a shot at any top program. Retaking the GMAT and scoring better would show the same thing.

Generally speaking, if you're applying to part-time programs, you're only going to be applying to one or two schools.

Retaking the GMAT is about removing weak spots in your profile. At this point in the game, there aren't many options for improving your profile. If you have a GMAT score below the average for the school, it's probably a good idea to retake the GMAT. It shows effort and may move you ahead of other on the list, which is your goal.

I took GMAT again this week and scored 700, which is 40 points more than my previous score.
This is max I could do in a month's time :)
Keeping fingers crossed for the third time!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 09:35
This post received
KUDOS
Usually within the week...in April...it was in 2 days or so.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 19:10
This post received
KUDOS
Fightitout wrote:
Hey Freemont - I have a few questions about the stats exam
1. statistics for business and economics is not available and hence I am planning to refer to a different book...Did you do the same or did you go through the same book ( I guess I am asking if the exam is about the concepts than I should be fine brushing up from another book)
2. Did you use the book as the reference and basically study the topics which have been mentioned in the pdf..
3. How long in your opinion should one prepare if he has a strong math background ( I have not attended a stat course for the past 7 years :))...but I scored like 50 on quant so ...

I started with Anderson and Sweeney,then read more about each topic from various sources on the net.
Yes, this book isn't a must. You can learn the concepts from other sources too.
:idea: Make sure you understand 'when' and 'how' of each concept rather than just 'what'. :idea:
I used the below link for chapter wise questions from Anderson & Sweeney.
http://cws.cengage.co.uk/aswsbe/students/mcq.html
Use this link with caution. Actual questions in the exam are simple too but NOT so direct. They are wrapped in a context. ( I hope I didn't break any agreement!! :roll: )
2 weeks are required to cover all topics. Second half of the topics list is new to me. So I spent more time on them.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 13:30
This post received
KUDOS
himym wrote:
Did anyone register for the Data and Decisions workshop starting in June ? Iam skeptical of registering for the course before the final decisions are made. Will they offer a refund if you arent admitted ? Also , is it a big deal if you mentioned you were going to register for the Haas course in the application and later changed my mind to just take a course from a community college , once iam admitted ? Any help is appreciated.

I doubt they'd refund you, but you'd have to call the office to ask.

No, it's not a big deal if you take it from the community college instead of the Haas course. They just want to know what your plans were, if they change after you submit the application, they're fine. As long as you complete the prereqs, they're happy.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 May 2013, 14:21
This post received
KUDOS
finally wrote:
Does anyone know the laptop requirements for the program? I cannot seem to find them on the website. Thanks!

here you go: http://groups.haas.berkeley.edu/hcs/how ... re_mba.pdf
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2013, 14:21
This post received
KUDOS
InABubble wrote:
packet82 wrote:
InABubble wrote:
anyone know how difficult it is to pass the Data and Decisions course?

I'm in it now. The coursework isn't terrible, but the system they use for the homework and the final is pretty bad. It's not a bad class, just the technology they use gets in the way more often than not.

Thanks Packet! You feel like everyone who is taking the course should get an "automatic" pass if they do all the work and study appropriately? I just don't want a brain fart during the final to ruin my chances of matriculating into Haas.

It's certainly not an automatic pass, but according to the professor, everyone passed last year.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 3

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2013, 10:54
This post received
KUDOS
MBACLASS2013 wrote:
Officially dinged today after 8 months of wait :(
Good luck to waitlisters...and admitted students. Enjoy the program .. !!

Tough luck MBACLASS2013! I can sort of relate to it!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 5

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 21:05
Hi Kenny,

I'm not sure what date round 1 invites start going out, however, the admissions staff does interview virtually all prospective candidates (over 80% I think). Based solely on your GMAT score and GPA, as long as you submitted a quality application, I have no doubt that you'll receive an interview invite in the near future.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions.
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 27 Nov 2012, 21:05