Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 00:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 12:18
packet82 wrote:
I guess what I'm trying to get across is it's a pretty decent sample. So, don't fret about some unknown stealing your spot.

Which is why I wished we had less lurkers and more contributors on such threads. That would have given everyone a clearer idea on the quality of the applicant pool.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 6

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 12:26
This post received
KUDOS
speedingdaemon wrote:
Which is why I wished we had less lurkers and more contributors on such threads. That would have given everyone a clearer idea on the quality of the applicant pool.

Some people see you guys as the competition and don't want to help out others that could take their spot. That's really just the way it goes. There's nothing you can really do about it and as it is, you get a lot more information these days than you used to. Back when I first started considering an MBA around 2005/2006 there was far less info available and the place to be were the horrible businessweek forums. At the time there was no way to see where you stacked up in the current class.

I guess it worked out well for me though since I was looking at NYU Stern at the time. Having graduated from another program at NYU, I'm glad I'm going to Haas.

At this point though I'm just happy to help people out, some of which will certainly become my classmates this fall and I'm sure I'll meet in person at orientation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 12:31
very well said, packet!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 13:12
Just joined to defend us "Lurkers". I certainly didn't stay quiet for competitive advantage, just haven't really had anything to offer. I got a lot of help with the application process from a college buddy of mine who is the FT program right now. When I kept reminding him of the bar tab he was earning on my behalf, he shook me off, said he got a ton of help too, and its a pay it forward situation. I think those are the type of people that get in to a program like Haas. I've really appreciated all the stuff I've learned on this thread, and its nice to know I'm not the only one sweating out the decision day. I'm excited this week is finally here so we will all find out.

Hope to be joining you Packet.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 13:15
exmatts wrote:
calculas wrote:
Ok this was a total surprise to me also! but I got a call from the school at about 4:30pm PST this evening to tell me that I am still on the waitlist :( - next round of results are sometime in May.

Although I am not surprised with my continuation on the WL (I have a very low GMAT) but based on my lengthy conversation, I can tell you most of you (700+ scores) on the WL from R1 will make it through. Hang in there.

Anyone else got a call today?

Hi Calulas,
Thanks for sharing. Would you mind sharing what they said about 700+ scorers and why you think that most will get in?

Thanks in advance.

exmatts, can u please share your profile? seems like you are WL'ed but I don't see you on our ewmba waitlist page...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 2.64
WE: Sales (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 13:30
speedingdaemon wrote:
exmatts wrote:
calculas wrote:
Ok this was a total surprise to me also! but I got a call from the school at about 4:30pm PST this evening to tell me that I am still on the waitlist :( - next round of results are sometime in May.

Although I am not surprised with my continuation on the WL (I have a very low GMAT) but based on my lengthy conversation, I can tell you most of you (700+ scores) on the WL from R1 will make it through. Hang in there.

Anyone else got a call today?

Hi Calulas,
Thanks for sharing. Would you mind sharing what they said about 700+ scorers and why you think that most will get in?

Thanks in advance.

exmatts, can u please share your profile? seems like you are WL'ed but I don't see you on our ewmba waitlist page...

Sure,
7 Years Work Experience, mostly in software sales (Oracle, Start-ups)
750 GMAT: Q48, V45
Undergrad: BA, History & Poli Sci from UCD; GPA: 2.64
Grad: MS, Information Systems from USF, GPA: 3.98
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 6

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 13:32
exmatts wrote:
Sure,

It's funny how often I run in to ex-Oracle people. I used to work in OCS. Sounds like you have a pretty strong profile.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 12

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 13:33
Quote:

Another aggie! I graduated in 2004, computer science and computer engineering. When did you? I imagine +/- one year.

small world... kinda..
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 13:41
pinchharmonic wrote:
Quote:

Another aggie! I graduated in 2004, computer science and computer engineering. When did you? I imagine +/- one year.

small world... kinda..

Awesome! I think most of us Aggies relocate to the Bay Area after graduation. I graduated in 2006. Thanks for the compliment Packet. Keeping my fingers crossed for Thursday's decision! I'm hopeful that my UG GPA doesn't come back to bite me :).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 13:42
exmatts wrote:
Sure,

strong profile dude.. not sure why they'd put in on R1 WL along with the rest of us...
did you attend the R1 WL chat?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 13:43
exmatts wrote:
Awesome! I think most of us Aggies relocate to the Bay Area after graduation. I graduated in 2006. Thanks for the compliment Packet. Keeping my fingers crossed for Thursday's decision! I'm hopeful that my UG GPA doesn't come back to bite me :).

It surely won't. You more than make up for it in ur MS and GMAT scores.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 6

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 13:44
exmatts wrote:

Eh, I had a 3.1 in undergrad. That was after a spectacular 2.25GPA freshman year when I discovered booze. I just owned up to it in the application and Haas obviously seemed okay with it. They do weight undergrad more than grad, but a 3.98 in grad shows you can do the work. So, I'd imagine it comes down to the essays at that point.
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 13:51
speedingdaemon wrote:
exmatts wrote:
Sure,

strong profile dude.. not sure why they'd put in on R1 WL along with the rest of us...

I did attend the chat.
Manager
Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 13:54
exmatts wrote:
speedingdaemon wrote:
exmatts wrote:
Sure,

I did attend the chat.

I'm assuming that you have no real suspicions other than the GPA for why you were waitlisted? In any case, I think the GPA is trivial. especially with your gmat and grad school GPA.

Do you perhaps have direct reports at work? I always feel like that is a huge plus for the adcom.
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 14:01
pinchharmonic wrote:
exmatts wrote:
speedingdaemon wrote:

I did attend the chat.

I'm assuming that you have no real suspicions other than the GPA for why you were waitlisted? In any case, I think the GPA is trivial. especially with your gmat and grad school GPA.

Do you perhaps have direct reports at work? I always feel like that is a huge plus for the adcom.

I used to have direct reports when I worked for Oracle in their inside sales organization. 7 people reported to me for about 15 months. Then I moved into a field rep, single contributor role. Thanks for the compliments. I'm hopeful that the AdCom will see my profile in a similar way. I can hardly take the suspense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 14:07
pinchharmonic wrote:

Having direct reports is always a good thing... But it alone is not going to be a huge plus...
Like we already discussed, its going to be the overall package that matters... But again, exmatt is in sales... So he will be put in that bucket and not in engineering...
correct?
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V39

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 14:18
speedingdaemon wrote:
pinchharmonic wrote:

Having direct reports is always a good thing... But it alone is not going to be a huge plus...
Like we already discussed, its going to be the overall package that matters... But again, exmatt is in sales... So he will be put in that bucket and not in engineering...
correct?

I believe that is correct. Also I would hope that adCom is looking for individuals who have a positive and sustained impact on their environments no matter what their roles. You certainly do not have to be a manager to have a significant impact on your organization/team etc
Manager
Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 15:24
interesting. I'm guessing the move to the single contributor role was actually a move up?

packet,

mind letting us know if you were/are managing folks?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 15:41
pinchharmonic,

don't worry if you don't have direct reports... i know many senior folks from my company who have graduated from EWMBA and none of them had any direct reports immediately before or immediately after their MBA... not to mention that having direct reports and showing increased responsibilities is always a good thing...
Manager
Manager

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 15:43
speedingdaemon wrote:
pinchharmonic,

don't worry if you don't have direct reports... i know many senior folks from my company who have graduated from EWMBA and none of them had any direct reports immediately before or immediately after their MBA... not to mention that having direct reports and showing increased responsibilities is always a good thing...

thanks. you think you can elaborate on those senior people? These are all engineering folks right? Any pattern you seen in them that would lead you to believe the adcom chose them? Were these the ones who had to re-apply?
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 25 Mar 2013, 15:43