Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Nov 2014, 04:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 3

Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 20:21
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,

Haas EWMBA 2013

Add Your Name to the List

Haas EWMBA Applicant Summary (Real Time)

Quick Glance: GMAT Club vs. Latest Intake (Class of 2014)

Real Time App Tracker Feed

Detailed Applicant List:

GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics

Questions about this Roll Call?

--------------------------

I was wondering if anyone who has applied to Berkeley Haas EWMBA Round 1 already got an interview invite. It would be good to know when they start sending out invites.

Thanks!

Last edited by bb on 26 Mar 2013, 07:27, edited 7 times in total.
Rollcall Added
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [4] , given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 19:54
This post received
KUDOS
Congratulations to everyone who got accepted. Haas is considered an extremely selective school (on par with Stanford) so you guys definitely have that killer element in your profile! Congrats again.

For those of you who didn't get a call, hang in there. Again - I was told explicitly by my caller that Haas "under admits" in R1 and tends to put a lot more folks than normal in waitlist.

Also, if I can get a waitlist with 650 GMAT I am sure everyone will have something positive to see tomorrow!
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [4] , given: 5

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 14:48
This post received
KUDOS
I don't always apply to business schools but whenever I do I always wonder why they take this long!
Stay thirsty my friends

#Longestdayofmylife
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: 650 Q V
GPA: 3.53

Kudos [?]: 15 [4] , given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 10:43
This post received
KUDOS
someone79 wrote:
can someone suggest study material for statistics waiver exam? Please respond.

Your best bet is this rather detailed blog post by someone who already took the stats waiver and indicates a textbook to use, and where to spend your time. I'm too new on the forum to "post links" so go to pawanagarwal [dot] com - it's someone's blog, and it's the most recent post.

Columbia's MBA program actually posted their whole math/stats boot camp course online - it includes a pre-assessment so you can ascertain where you're weak, a course, and a post-assessment. Again, can't post the link, but you can find it easily by typing the following into Google: "premba analytical methods" Columbia

Hope this helps those studying for the stats waiver! I'm going to try to use the Columbia resource for the math waiver, but would appreciate any suggestions from anyone who may have already taken it?!
3 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 17 [3] , given: 3

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 13:06
This post received
KUDOS
I am waitlisted once again! :-( Had a sumptuous meal though! :-)
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [3] , given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 10:03
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call!! I am IN folks.

Good luck to all of you.

p.s - Holy crap can't believe it.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [2] , given: 6

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 19:50
This post received
KUDOS
Kenny0929 wrote:
Looks like my "Statistics Course" requirement column is not updated yet. However, it's updated for most of them here on this forum. Initially, I thought this was not a big deal. But, come to think of it, if the AdCom has already decided that one is NOT going to make it to the class, why would they bother updating that section? :shock: It doesn't make any sense to me. Now, I am trying to read between the lines here and assuming that if the AdCom updates that section, then that person is IN. :) This could be just my anxiety playing a prank on me - 2 weeks before the deadline. :)

Step back for a second and take a breath. All it means is that they haven't gotten around to reviewing your file yet. There are still a couple weeks until the deadline and I'm sure they're working through everything as fast as they can, but there are a lot of applications. I interviewed a couple weeks before you. So, chances are your file is just further down in the stack.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 15:40
This post received
KUDOS
Just got a call from Julia offering me a spot in the upcoming class. Keep your phones on guys, they're calling.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [2] , given: 5

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 21:58
This post received
KUDOS
yaank216 wrote:
Thanks for the comments packet. Which question was the one that the other sites did not disclose?

The interviewer is not there to trick you. She will try and do is get to know you, learn about what you've accomplished, and determine how you'll fit in with the rest of the cohort. The interviewer will ask you to run her through your resume, discuss how you've demonstrated leadership, detail why the Berkeley MBA is right for you, and maybe one or two other general questions. Be prepared to ask relevant questions at the end. Ask something you're truly interested in learning, don't ask something that can be found on the website.

I recommend that if you haven't interviewed in a long time, practice answering some general questions ahead of time to get a feel for what it will be like. The interview is pretty laid back and is designed to be a casual conversation, however, remember that you're still being interviewed.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 17 [2] , given: 3

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 20:44
This post received
KUDOS
Calculas,

So, they called you because they knew that you had an admit from UCLA & Booth? Did you have a deposit deadline or something? It's weird that they call only you and no one else. :-)

Posted from my mobile device Image
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V40

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 06:55
This post received
KUDOS
As i speculated/suspected earlier, Haas added round 4

http://ewmba.haas.berkeley.edu/admissions/

Looks like they are not happy with the pool of applicants.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [2] , given: 5

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 11:29
This post received
KUDOS
I don't always get waitlisted but whenever I do I still say wtf!
Stay thirsty my friends

GMAT 700/ 9 yrs of IT consulting, Customer relationship mgmt
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 10:47
This post received
KUDOS
Bing85 wrote:
someone79 wrote:
can someone suggest study material for statistics waiver exam? Please respond.

Your best bet is this rather detailed blog post by someone who already took the stats waiver and indicates a textbook to use, and where to spend your time. I'm too new on the forum to "post links" so go to pawanagarwal [dot] com - it's someone's blog, and it's the most recent post.

Columbia's MBA program actually posted their whole math/stats boot camp course online - it includes a pre-assessment so you can ascertain where you're weak, a course, and a post-assessment. Again, can't post the link, but you can find it easily by typing the following into Google: "premba analytical methods" Columbia

Hope this helps those studying for the stats waiver! I'm going to try to use the Columbia resource for the math waiver, but would appreciate any suggestions from anyone who may have already taken it?!

This is what someone on the facebook page had to say about the exam:

"Hi folks, I took the stats waiver exam last Friday. I hope this information is helpful for those planning on taking the Stats waiver exam in April. The pass rate is about 60%.
1. 1/4 of the exam was pretty basic, simple calculations for data summary and simple probability.
2. Probability questions made up a significant of portion of the exam, especially conditional probability and binomial distribution.
3. CLT, CI, and hypothesis were tested in multiple questions, including critical value, linear regression, and basic ANOVA.
4. Knowing the F-distribution definitely helps."
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
City: San Francisco
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Kudos [?]: 20 [2] , given: 44

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 12:04
This post received
KUDOS
I didn't go through the entire thread here so please ignore if any of this information is redundant. For anyone taking the waiver exams, last year I passed it by studying 5-6 chapters out of the Anderson-Sweeney book. I can't remember completely, but I think it was chapters 4,5,6,9,10,14 (pretty sure at least a couple chapters are off here...just look at the guideline doc on what topics are covered) and I sacrificed multiple linear regression (I think chapters 15) since you only needed around 70% to pass.

Most people who took the foothill course also recommended it because it's cheap and easy and a lot of it is done online.

Finally, the most stats you will use in your first year is for Intro to Finance and Operations, both done in the first term of the Spring semester. You will be using standard normal z-tables and standard loss tables - nothing nearly as complicated as the stats in required for the pre-req. I can't speak for elective as I have not taken them yet. Feel free to PM me with questions.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [2] , given: 12

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 09:05
This post received
KUDOS
fremont wrote:
R2 WL here - Denied Admission!
Profile : 710(Q48,V39);completed pre-reqs; 9 yrs WorkEx in IT Consulting; Female;Project Management; good extra curriculars!

Somehow, I'm unable to leave this pursuit and move on. I'm planning to apply next year with a bang!

Question to IT folks who got admission: How did you make your profiles diverse and special? Please share your stories and inspire us!

hey fremont. To answer your question, I would approach the problem differently. I'm also from an IT background and instead of trying to create a profile that was someone else, I tried to become the person they wanted to see; the profile would follow naturally.

when I finished my gmat in june 2012, I realized I was either too late or way too early for applying -- I applied for the class of 2016 and was accepted off waitlist in rd 2. In any case, I had about 6 months to boost my dreaded IT profile before applying. Here are the things I did:

- I joined a toastmasters club and within 3 months placed at a speech contest, took a high officer position, and chaired a big open house event. Right before I was accepted off the waitlist early 2013 I was nominated to be the area governor.
- I took extra responsibility at work and for the next review was given my biggest merit increase to date, this info I provided to adcom
- I followed my passion for bodybuilding and stepped onstage for the first time. I placed 1st in three categories and was invited to compete professionally in Reno (did not).
- I started volunteering (though I did not mention this at all in my application)

So all the things I did prove that you can achieve an incredible amount within a short span. With the exception of #3, you can argue took over 15 years, the others anyone could presumably start / finish before now and the next application season. And don't assume I'm some outspoken natural leader that can achieve goals easily. In fact I became that person because I knew that was a.) who I wanted to be b.) who I needed to be for business school

One of the things I did early on was take a hard look at myself even before I had the idea to apply. I looked at myself and asked "can you score over the 90th percentile on the gmat", and I said no. I knew I did not have the skills or the willpower to study for it. Over 6 months later and after getting over the GMAT hurdle, I took a hard look at myself again and asked "are you Haas material". I said no, not yet. and then I proceeded to build my leadership, character, whatever it took until finally I believed it myself.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 5

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 23:50
This post received
KUDOS
rohitbizschool wrote:
Hi,
I have a question about the prerequisites section in the Haas-application.

They say : "Applicants meet the prerequisite with one course in statistics within the last five years (fall 2008 to summer 2013)"

It’s been a while since I graduated (2007). So I don't meet that criteria.

Do students usually enroll in the "Haas Online Data and Decisions Workshop"? or is it more common to prepare and take the waiver exam?

Thanks!

I'd say it's a 50/50 split. Do note, you can take a statistics course at a community college to meet the admissions prerequisite. The community college route is considerably cheaper than the Data and Decisions Workshop, however, you will learn a lot more in the Data and Decisions course.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 09:21
This post received
KUDOS
Hello,

I have been invited for interview
EWMBA - R1
Question: Do we know what % of applicants are typically invited to interview?

Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 5

Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 16:44
This post received
KUDOS
rohitbizschool wrote:
Thanks! The application has a question about that. I'm not sure at this point if I'm gonna do a workshop or enroll into a community college.
Do you think it'd be ok if I say that I'd enroll into either the workshop or take the waiver?

And, do you happen to know how much it costs (workshop/community college+waiver exam)?

Thanks!

Go ahead and put down whatever works best for you with regard to the waiver/statistics class. The Berkeley workshop was all inclusive at $1,000 (online or at Haas), a CC course will probably run $200 or so with the book, and the waiver exam is free. You can always attempt the waiver exam and take the class later if you don't pass. There is also a second general math prerequisite, however, that can be waived if you scored a 47 or above on the quant section of the GMAT (this was the case for the class of 2015).
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 6

Premium Member
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 10:04
This post received
KUDOS
pinchharmonic wrote:
thanks for the quick response. i'm going to visit the campus before my interview to build up some better familiarity with the program and the students.

does anyone know if the last known selectivity percentage for Haas EWMBA was 44% -- I think for students matriculating 2012? I got that number from one of the major sources. I find it hard to believe that the Haas program accepts nearly 1 in every 2 candidates?

Almost all of the part-time programs are like that. Chicago doesn't officially release their numbers, but from the numbers they did mention at an info session I went to, they're right around there too. It's because the bulk of the applicants to a part-time program come from the surrounding area. So, the applicant pool is much smaller and they apply to fewer programs. The caliber of student they let in is around the same though.

Haas says they interview roughly 2/3 of their applicant pool. So, assuming a 44% acceptance rate, you have a 66% chance of getting in if you got invited to an interview. Good luck. My interview is next week.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 09:23
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Guys,

I interviewed on the 10th.
I have previously (blind) interviewed with Kellogg and Anderson also, I'd say this is nothing similar to those. This interview (or atleast mine) was not blind as they like to put it. The questions I was asked were extremely targeted, there was absolutely no beating around the bush. Most of the questions kinda indicated what they really wanted to understand.

I had recently gotten a major promotion, 25% of the time was spent on understanding this promotion
I had applied to the Haas's FT prog last year, 25% of the time was spent on explaining why the shift from FT -> PT
25% of the time was spent on very very intricate details from my resume, I was stumped ( and impressed) by the level of details they care

The routine questions were peppered between the head-scratcher's.
- How is my current situation linked with my short term goal
- Have you talked with anyone or atleast connected with anyone from target short-term goal place (!)
- What would your collegues or friends say about you
- Long term goal in very detail (not the routine stuff of I want to do blah blah - do your homework!)
- What will I bring to the class
- Motivation behind long term goal

After about 25mins of speaking and explaining how I am different and how will bring a lot of different things to the table, I get this question
- We get tons of applications from engineers like you every-year, how are you different :shock:

I thought the last one was the proverbial 'final nail in the coffin'.

I would have enjoyed and probably aced the interview if I knew what was coming, I was sort of caught off-guard. I do not have high expectations of making it.

Luckily I got an acceptance from UCLA this week, for now I am proceeding as if its a done deal.

Good luck to you all!
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 14 Dec 2012, 09:23