Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE:Operations (Military & Defense)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: Had to reschedule GMAT 2 weeks from tomorrow - PLEASE HELP!! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi DropBear,

Right now, we need a current and realistic assessment of your skills, but we don't have one yet. As such, you really have to take a FULL-LENGTH CAT (including the Essay and IR sections) as soon as is reasonably possible (maybe Saturday or Sunday?). That score result will provide some really important information on what you should be focusing on during your remaining study time.

1) Do you have ANY flexibility to push back your Test Date?
2) What is the minimum score that you would apply to Business School with?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi DropBear,

Right now, we need a current and realistic assessment of your skills, but we don't have one yet. As such, you really have to take a FULL-LENGTH CAT (including the Essay and IR sections) as soon as is reasonably possible (maybe Saturday or Sunday?). That score result will provide some really important information on what you should be focusing on during your remaining study time.

1) Do you have ANY flexibility to push back your Test Date?
2) What is the minimum score that you would apply to Business School with?

Rich

Hi Rich,

would you recommend using the GMATPrep software for this test? I will make sure I get one done over the weekend. I will ensure I complete the AWA and IR. Does it matter that I haven't really studied for this?

1) I have no flexibility on the test date. I am from Perth, Australia and there is only 1 test center which usually only has 1 test a week, and this was the only one available for quite a while.
2) I don't mind telling you that I am currently half way through applications to Cranfield and Melbourne Business School. I have a background that both of them like so am confident that a mid to upper 600 should be sufficient so perhaps 660 would be the minimum score I would apply with. I am later applying to INSEAD which I also have had positive correspondence from however understand that I would need a significantly higher score for there, probably around 700.

I am also a family man and preparing for this exam has taken it's toll, so regardless of what I get in two weeks it will likely be the last shot I have. But am prepared to make any sacrifice and put in any amount of work required over the following 2 weeks.

Thanks again for your help
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi DropBear,

Yes, taking one of the CATs from the GMATPrep Software would be a good idea (as long as you have not taken it before). Since it sounds like there's no way around the limited timeframe, we'll work with what we have.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi DropBear,

Yes, taking one of the CATs from the GMATPrep Software would be a good idea (as long as you have not taken it before). Since it sounds like there's no way around the limited timeframe, we'll work with what we have.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Took the CAT yesterday... Not really big on excuses, but was a bad day for it, as had a horrible nights sleep the night before with a family full of sick people. In any case I did the full CAT with the AWA and IR and to my horrow scored 610 (Q44, V30) (previously had been 620 Q44, V29). I have had a brief look at the questions I answered incorrectly and for the Quant section and quite a few of them were oversights which I know I need to work on and spend a few extra seconds reviewing.

As for Verbal, this is where it went downhill. I only answered on CR incorrectly, but did abysmally on SC and RC... It is apparent to me that the best return on effort over the next 2 weeks is going to be focussing on SC and RC as even small gains in my V score will result in fairly large gains in the overall score. When I look back at my longer term preparation I have not spend nearly enough time on this area, and have often studied it during times of distraction.

I have cleared my schedule for 2 weeks and have vacation approved so have nothing to focus on other than GMAT. I plan on reviewing the mistakes I have made in quant with both tests so I can do a bit of targetted study in any areas of weakness. I will also look over my OG results for quant and look for any trends that might have a good ROI for effort.

I am thinking I need to go back over the MGMAT SC guide slowly and more thoroughly (with highlighters and a notebook) and actually let it sink in properly. Further than that though would love to hear you advice.

I am realistic and know that anything even close to a 700 is going to be almost certainly out of grasp but am prepared to fight hard for every last drop of improvement I can.

Hopefully you can add some constructive criticism to my plan and maybe help me come up with a best case study plan.

Thanks again,
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi DropBear,

With less than 2 weeks before your GMAT, you probably don't have the time to make any big changes to how you handle the Test. As such, you should look to focus on your 'precision' and eliminate any silly mistakes you're currently making. Your tentative plan seems workable; I would suggest that you NOT overdo it with too many CATs though - you have enough time to fit in 1-2 more though.

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
DropBear wrote:
I have cleared my schedule for 2 weeks and have vacation approved so have nothing to focus on other than GMAT. I plan on reviewing the mistakes I have made in quant with both tests so I can do a bit of targetted study in any areas of weakness. I will also look over my OG results for quant and look for any trends that might have a good ROI for effort.

I am thinking I need to go back over the MGMAT SC guide slowly and more thoroughly (with highlighters and a notebook) and actually let it sink in properly. Further than that though would love to hear you advice.
Just a quick suggestion here. Using a book (taking notes/highlighting text) does help, but what really gets those patterns to "stick" is additional practice (solving questions and then reviewing them). I can see "reviewing the mistakes I have made in quant with both tests", "targetted study in any areas of weakness", and "go back over the MGMAT SC guide slowly and more thoroughly". What are you doing for additional practice? This can't be all that you're looking to do in the next 2 weeks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the help you all gave me about a fortnight ago. So I sat the GMAT today and had a very mixed results. As per my previous practice CAT's from GMATPrep I had recieved:

GMATPrep1: 620 (Q44, V31)
GMATPrep2: 610 (Q44, V31)

Over the last few weeks I devoured the Manhattan verbal guides and attempted every question in the OG and Verbal guide, making sure to pull apart every question I got wrong so that I could fully understand it. I certainly didn't ignore Quant, but it wasn't my biggest concern after getting Q44 on both test.

Today I sat the GMAT and score 640 (Q38, V39), and 8 (92nd percentile) on IR. I have incredibly mixed feelings about this as I am really surprised how well I did on the verbal (89th percentile) but am just so terribly disappointed in my Quant. There is just no way I can approach ANY business school with a 40th percentile score in Quant. Throughout the test I felt pretty comfortable but started to feel pretty nervous when late in the test I was getting questions that were not much more difficult then adding fractions etc. I can only put this down to really silly mistakes.

I have purchased the ESR which I hope will shed some light on where I performed poorly, if anyone has any other advice on what I should do from here that would be great.

I need to try and figure out an arrangement with my work to try and sit this again which is going to be difficult as an offshore petroleum engineer. If anyone also has any insights on how universities will view subsequent tests, or if things like the AWA and IR are necessary next time I would be glad to hear it. I'm pretty bummed so just going to chill out and drink beer for the rest of the day.

Cheers!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
DropBear wrote:

I need to try and figure out an arrangement with my work to try and sit this again which is going to be difficult as an offshore petroleum engineer. If anyone also has any insights on how universities will view subsequent tests, or if things like the AWA and IR are necessary next time I would be glad to hear it. I'm pretty bummed so just going to chill out and drink beer for the rest of the day.

Cheers!

Hi DropBear,

It is good that you have scored well on the Verbal part. For the quants, I would recommend you to go through the ESR and identify the areas of improvement.
After that, enroll into a course that suits your needs after taking the trials.

Trying a different study pattern and shifting away from the book heavy technique might help
Although some of the schools have stated that they do not consider IR, I will still say that give your best in AWA and IR too.
There is nothing wrong in scoring well in each and every section of the test. Is it? :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi DropBear,

To start, a 640 is a solid GMAT Score (it's just shy of the 80th percentile overall), so it could be enough to help you get into either of the Schools that you named. The Q38 is not going to impress anyone, but you might be able to 'overshadow' it with other parts of your application.

You might find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

ask-admission-consultants-124/

Rich
GMAT Club Bot