Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619017 [7]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [1]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V39
GRE 1: Q790 V650
GPA: 3.76
WE:Other (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Hallie has only nickels, dimes and quarters in her pocket. If she has [#permalink]
Kudos
The equation may be written as 0.05N+0.1D+0.25Q=2.75
St1
N+D+Q=21
D-2N
We have 3 equations for 3 variables which can be solved. Sufficient

St2
0.05N+0.1D=1.25
This may be simplified to
5N+10D=125, or
N+2D=25
This equation may have many solutions. Insufficient.

Answer A
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619017 [2]
Send PM
Re: Hallie has only nickels, dimes and quarters in her pocket. If she has [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Hallie has only nickels, dimes and quarters in her pocket. If she has at least 1 of each kind of coin and has a total of $2.75 in change, how many nickels does she have?

(1) She has a total of 21 coins, with twice as many dimes as nickels.
(2) She has $1.50 in quarters.

Kudos for a correct solution.

KAPLAN OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Now this question is certainly answerable. You might have to play with the information, do a little substitution, a little combination, but eventually you’d figure out that she had 5 nickels. Now what do you do with that number? There is no answer choice for 5. There is no way to enter your discovery at all. Strictly speaking the information is useless.

Furthermore, if you focused on answering the question about Hallie’s nickels instead of the data sufficiency question that is being asked, chances are that you would use all the information given in both statements instead of considering them separately. (The problem is easier to solve if you do.) In that case, you will perhaps conclude that the statements taken together are sufficient to answer the question, when in fact, statement 1 by itself is sufficient.

Lastly, this whole process of solving for the number of nickels takes a lot of time-- time you probably wish you could use on other problems.

So how would a “lazy person” approach this question? The lazy person would never just dive in and start sifting information, but would take a bird’s-eye view. He or she would look for the concept. Data Sufficiency is concept math.

Our lazy student would look at the question stem and see that there are three unknowns (nickels, dimes and quarters), that they total up to a definite amount and that he is being asked for the value of one of them separately. That would strongly suggest a system of equations.

Next our lazy student would recall the rule for systems of equations, which is that you must have as many distinct equations as you have variables in order to solve for the individual variables. How many equations does the stem give us? One, for the total dollars. So we need two more.

Statement 1 gives us two more. That there are 21 coins would give us one equation, and that there are twice as many dimes as nickels would give us the other. (Note, an equation to be useful does not have to have all the variables in it, so the lack of quarters in the second equation doesn’t matter.) Together with the stem, that makes three equations, which allow us to solve the system (which we needn’t bother to do).

Statement 2 only gives us one more equation, so it is not sufficient, and the answer is Statement 1 alone is sufficient.
Notice that our lazy student did not even bother to translate the words into formal equations. It’s enough to know that you COULD do so.

So if you find yourself tempted to do extensive mathematical calculations on a GMAT Data Sufficiency problem—remember the “lazy student”, and that the secret on Data Sufficiency problems is that the answer to the mathematical question doesn’t matter in most instances. Keep your eye on the concept being tested rather than the details of the execution.

~By Guest Author, Kurt Keefner
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
I can't figure out how the answer is option a. Can someone post a detailed explanation?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619017 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hahshsh wrote:
I can't figure out how the answer is option a. Can someone post a detailed explanation?

Detailed explanations are posted above. Please read the thread.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts