Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 12:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Handling Tricky Interview Question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-15-2011
GPA: 3.71
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 8

Handling Tricky Interview Question [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 02:10
hey guys / experts,

I ran across counple of interview questions and would like to take help / suggestions on one question that i feel is a bit tricky.

The question usually is of the sort - 'give me one reason why you should not be selected?'
Now, as far as my knowledge is concerened, this is another type of weakness question.

So if you ask me (as of now), i would cite my weakness and approach it like a typical 'weakness' questions ( liek what steps am i taking to overcome this weakness).

But after talking to couple of my friends, they suggeted me that it might not be a good idea to give a reason to Adcom to defer your selection.
Now i am really confused as to what should be the right approach.

Can anyone asnwer this?

Appreciation in KUDOS please!
Knewton Free Test 10/03 - 710 (49/37)
Princeton Free Test 10/08 - 610 (44/31)
Kaplan Test 1- 10/10 - 630
Veritas Prep- 10/11 - 630 (42/37)
MGMAT 1 - 10/12 - 680 (45/34)

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Handling Tricky Interview Question [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 05:36
This post received
KUDOS
This is the type of interview question that most experienced admissions people cringe at. If I were to guess, this was asked by either an alumni or a student interviewer. However, if a question does come up like this, here is how I would handle it:

I hope that you see that there are many more reasons to accept me than reject me. Further, I hope that I have demonstrated my passion for attending your program and my dedication to my studies and my career. Further, x is my top choice and I hope to be admitted and beginning my studies here next fall.

Nevertheless, to answer your question, we all have strengths and weaknesses in some aspect of our application. If I were to pick one reason where my application may not stand up to the competitive levels is my (for example) focused work experience in finance/lack of quantitive studies/limited extracurricular activities/etc. While these might not be as competitive as other candidates, I wish to point out that I chose to work in finance as I drawn to the early responsibility in my career and the in-depth analytical skills that I would develop and use as the base for my career. During the past two years, I have been exposed to many different scenarios, different industries and got to work in a post-crash banking world. These are invaluable experience, challenged me on many levels and serve as the basis from my future career. So, while my career may appear focused to some, to me, it is the foundation of the big plans and high expectations that I have set for myself.

This is the type of take control of the situation that you have to do - totally turn the question around. Do not be down and negative about your background -- but also you have to answer the question but do not dwell on the negative aspect of it and let the interviewer see the other side of it.

Good luck on your interviews. Practice is key. Please do not go into interviews unrehearsed. Also, job interviews are very different than business school interviews.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-15-2011
GPA: 3.71
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 8

Re: Handling Tricky Interview Question [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 05:56
ManhattanReview wrote:
This is the type of interview question that most experienced admissions people cringe at. If I were to guess, this was asked by either an alumni or a student interviewer. However, if a question does come up like this, here is how I would handle it:

I hope that you see that there are many more reasons to accept me than reject me. Further, I hope that I have demonstrated my passion for attending your program and my dedication to my studies and my career. Further, x is my top choice and I hope to be admitted and beginning my studies here next fall.

Nevertheless, to answer your question, we all have strengths and weaknesses in some aspect of our application. If I were to pick one reason where my application may not stand up to the competitive levels is my (for example) focused work experience in finance/lack of quantitive studies/limited extracurricular activities/etc. While these might not be as competitive as other candidates, I wish to point out that I chose to work in finance as I drawn to the early responsibility in my career and the in-depth analytical skills that I would develop and use as the base for my career. During the past two years, I have been exposed to many different scenarios, different industries and got to work in a post-crash banking world. These are invaluable experience, challenged me on many levels and serve as the basis from my future career. So, while my career may appear focused to some, to me, it is the foundation of the big plans and high expectations that I have set for myself.

This is the type of take control of the situation that you have to do - totally turn the question around. Do not be down and negative about your background -- but also you have to answer the question but do not dwell on the negative aspect of it and let the interviewer see the other side of it.

Good luck on your interviews. Practice is key. Please do not go into interviews unrehearsed. Also, job interviews are very different than business school interviews.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Kudos Kimberly !!
Amazing reply...i wish i got this ans before my last interview...though i was well prepared for my interview, but the 'non-seelction' part threw me out my gear and i wobbled up to a certain extent.
Nevertheless, Thanks again !!!

Appreciation in KUDOS please!
Knewton Free Test 10/03 - 710 (49/37)
Princeton Free Test 10/08 - 610 (44/31)
Kaplan Test 1- 10/10 - 630
Veritas Prep- 10/11 - 630 (42/37)
MGMAT 1 - 10/12 - 680 (45/34)

Re: Handling Tricky Interview Question   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2012, 05:56