Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 May 2016, 06:48
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Handwriting analysis has recently been boosted by the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Handwriting analysis has recently been boosted by the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2005, 01:31
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (02:22) correct 58% (01:26) wrong based on 214 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Handwriting analysis has recently been boosted by the invention of 3D micro-profilometry, which can be used to calculate the pressure used at a crossover point such as the center of a figure eight, and to detect the starting and ending points of strokes not detectable via conventional 2D analysis.

(A) the starting and ending points of strokes
(B) the locations of starting and ending points of strokes that are
(C) where starting and ending points are located, which are
(D) where starting and ending points are located
(E) where the starting and ending points are located, which are
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 0

Re: Handwriting analysis has recently been boosted by the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2005, 03:11
i will take c on this one.
In E there is extra the which makes it unparallel.
IMO B is parallel
to calculate pressure
to detect locations.
however, i am not sure what does that refer to. I guess it should refer to points but it is refering to strokes. can somebody calrify this.

Regards, S

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 267 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2005, 05:55
I'll take B on this one.

'the locations of starting and ending points' is modified by 'to detect' and 'that are' modifies strokes.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2005, 06:09
This post received
KUDOS
My answer is A. It is concise, uses the correct ellipses and has a parallel construction.

The original sentence talks of detecting the points not their location. By this logic, all other choices are out.

One thing that I have noticed is that the use of a pronoun modifier such as "which" or "that" is usually awkward when you have possessive nouns or noun phrases such as "the wings of birds" etc.

For instance, to me the "that" in the choice B does not clearly indicate if it modifies the strokes or the locations.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2005, 06:43
Handwriting analysis has recently been boosted by the invention of 3D micro-profilometry, which can be used to calculate the pressure used at a crossover point such as the center of a figure eight, and to detect the starting and ending points of strokes not detectable via conventional 2D analysis.

I hate questions like this one! All the choices are wrong and you somehow have to figure out, which is the "least wrong" according to the twisted mind of the writer! :arh

(A) the starting and ending points of strokes - it is not clear whether the points or the strokes are not detectable.

(B) the locations of starting and ending points of strokes that are - even worse: the locations, the points, or the strokes? "That are" is a bit out of place.

(C) where starting and ending points are located, which are - Lack of "the" before "starting" implies that a single stroke may have more than a pair of starting and ending points. I think "which are" should be replaced by "which is", so that the "is" can refer to the "where".

(D) where starting and ending points are located - "not detectable" after "are located" sucks. It just does and you know it.

(E) where the starting and ending points are located, which are - I'd put a "which is" instead of "which are" at the end. Wouldn't make it right though.

I choose (A) from what we have to work with. I am very probably wrong.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2005, 10:00
A and B are close.

It took me almost 4 minutes..

I will go with B..

But OE will help....
SVP
SVP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2005, 18:28
Pokhran II wrote:

I prefer A over B because "that" in B refers to strokes, which are not the sentence talking about not detectable via conventional 2D analysis but the starting and ending points of the strokes are not detectable via conventional 2D analysis.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2005, 07:13
This post was
BOOKMARKED
AJB77 wrote:
My answer is A. It is concise, uses the correct ellipses and has a parallel construction.

The original sentence talks of detecting the points not their location. By this logic, all other choices are out.

One thing that I have noticed is that the use of a pronoun modifier such as "which" or "that" is usually awkward when you have possessive nouns or noun phrases such as "the wings of birds" etc.

For instance, to me the "that" in the choice B does not clearly indicate if it modifies the strokes or the locations.

Excellent point.

I think A makes more sense, because the restrictive clause is directly modifying the stokes. Whereas the verb phrase modifies the locations.

Moreover, A has a parallelism between 2 things
to calculate the pressure used
and
to detect the starting and ending points of strokes not detectable.

OE will definetly shed more light.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2005, 12:30
B?
I think it's parallel but A is shorter and more concise.

I'll stick with B and wait for the OA.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 711

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2015, 17:11
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 511

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2015, 19:00
choose, a
"which" which jum over verb is not prefered though can be appear in oa

C, D and E are out

betwen A and B, A look more consise

pls help
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 341 [1] , given: 55

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2016, 23:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Handwriting analysis has recently been boosted by the invention of 3D micro-profilometry, which can be used
    to calculate the pressure used at a crossover point such as the center of a figure eight, and
    to detect the starting and ending points of strokes not detectable via conventional 2D analysis.

Use of Where is absolutely meaningless since there is no location here and is also not parallel otherwise.
C, D and E can be eliminated.

(C), (D), and (E) all use the non-parallel "to calculate the pressure . . . and to detect where X and Y are located". Parallel structure would be either "to calculate the pressure . . . and to detect X and Y" or "to calculate how much pressure . . . and to detect where X and Y . . ."

I felt the verb are is required to connect the strokes to not detectable phrase and selected B.
Please explain why B is wrong and A is correct with no such verb.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
possessive-pronouns-200496.html
double-negatives-206717.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 18:25
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
Handwriting analysis has recently been boosted by the invention of 3D micro-profilometry, which can be used
    to calculate the pressure used at a crossover point such as the center of a figure eight, and
    to detect the starting and ending points of strokes not detectable via conventional 2D analysis.

Use of Where is absolutely meaningless since there is no location here and is also not parallel otherwise.
C, D and E can be eliminated.

(C), (D), and (E) all use the non-parallel "to calculate the pressure . . . and to detect where X and Y are located". Parallel structure would be either "to calculate the pressure . . . and to detect X and Y" or "to calculate how much pressure . . . and to detect where X and Y . . ."

I felt the verb are is required to connect the strokes to not detectable phrase and selected B.
Please explain why B is wrong and A is correct with no such verb.

I understand your take on parallelism.
But I wanted to bring people's attention one thing on modification.
where do you guys think "not detectable via conventional 2D analysis" modifies? Is it modifying strokes or the points?
I think there is a slight shift of meaning between the two.
C and E make pretty unattractive options, but at least they they don't generate a confusion over whether points or strokes are not detectable.
What do you guys think?
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 498

Kudos [?]: 4085 [0], given: 320

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 22:04
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I do agree that this is not an error- free question.
There are grave doubts about choice A and for that matter even about B.
1. Addition of a verb ‘are’ isn’t going to be helpful since it is not the strokes that are not detectable but indeed the starting and ending points that are not detectable. But a modifier, not preceded by a comma has to modify its proximate noun, strokes in this case.
A verb is not going to serve any purpose in an infinitive phrase as we have in this example.
B is also wrong, since the inclusion of the locations adds to further muddle as it is now claimable that it is logically the locations that are not detectable rather than the points or the strokes. Of course the puritans will strongly plead that the restrictive pronoun ‘that’ will only have to refer to the ‘strokes’ by virtue of its proximity.
Overall, this question doesn’t seem to give us any take – away at the end. At best, we can tolerate A for its brevity, though with a pinch of salt.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Re: Handwriting analysis has recently been boosted by the   [#permalink] 15 Mar 2016, 22:04