Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 13:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Happy with the score, but should I re-take

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 7

Happy with the score, but should I re-take [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 08:49
First of all, thank you GMATClub community!

I took GMAT yesterday and got 690 (Q48, V37). Overall 88 percentile (each, V and Q are 80 percentile).
I would say I did not feel nervous during exam: focusing was not a problem. Earplugs were provided and helped a lot, as many people came to the test center that day. Four hours of the test just flew by. I used all the breaks to stretch and have a bite.

It has been a while since I graduated, so I had to start from the beginning. I started my preparation 5 month ago by spending 2 hours per day after work and 5 hours on Sat and Sunday. I used MGMAT SC, MGMAT Numbers, MGMAT RC and CR Bible. All of books were helpful to some degree; however, MGMAT SC definitely stands out of all. Other books had couple of helpful strategies.

My practice tests:

MGMAT1 640 (45,33) - early fall
MGMAT2 660 (45, 35)
MGMAT3 670 (48, 33)
MGMAT4 680 (48, 35)
MGMAT5 680 (47, 36)
MGMAT6 690 (48, 36)

GMAT Prep 1 700 (49, 38)
GMAT Prep 2 710 (50, 35)

I would say practice tests are overall a pretty good prediction of exam performance. Perhaps, I did a little bit worse on the real exam. I am debating if it is a good idea to retake the exam; however, I doubt, that it is worth the effort: maximum I can get is extra 10 or 20 points, which will not shift my score considerably.

I am targeting top 10 schools. I will have to apply for R3, hoping that my background will help.
I have a PhD in molecular biology and was working in biotech/pharma R&D for the past several years. My age, 34, can be a disadvantage, though.
I will also have to take TOEFL, as I am from Europe originally.

Thank you guys for all the help you provided! I would appreciate any suggestions.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 498 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Happy with the score, but should I re-take [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 09:07
Great score!!! Congratulations!!! :)

Well, I think your score is quite good even for top 10 schools. Essays will be critical. Check this thread out
should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

Best of luck & keep us posted.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ROSS PT 2012
WE 1: Mech Engineer - General Electric - 2yrs
WE 2: Lead Mech Engineer - Ingersoll Rand - 4 yrs

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 5

Re: Happy with the score, but should I re-take [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 14:14
I hit a 690 (Q47 V38) -88th percentile. Now your scores are pretty much the same and I assume you hit around 80-85th percentile on Quant and 80th percentile on Verbal. If you scores were skewed a lot towards Quant retaking the GMAT might have been a good option , but then at what cost? What if you don't do as well on your next attempt? I spoke to a couple of guys and all of them suggested that I work on my essays and forget about GMAT - we are right in the sweet spot: GMAT range for successful candidates at most top 10 schools is between 640-740 with the average at around 690. Now, agreed the low scorers maybe people from a diversity background, but still you and I have a fair shot (as long as we can convey our stories through our essays). Also, be careful about the deadlines : some schools don't accept International applications in R3.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Happy with the score, but should I re-take [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2010, 06:23
@vicksikand- I agree with you.

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford
680 Debrief
600 Debrief
590 Debrief
My GMAT Journey

Manager
Manager

Re: Happy with the score, but should I re-take [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 14:44
Thank you.
I was hoping to get answers similar to the ones I got :)
(Starting GMAT preparation again would be difficult.)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Happy with the score, but should I re-take [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 18:07
Folks,
I have the same score 690 (Q48 V37) and am a Male Indian IT professional. Is it true that part-time NYU or Chicago Booth will be a little easier to get into that their full-time counterparts? I am trying to get a feel for whether 690 is disfavorably worse than 700 for part-time programs applications.
I liked the word 'sweet spot' but does it become sweeter when you apply for a part-time program at NYU and Chicago Booth?

Regards,
Sameer
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9470 [0], given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Happy with the score, but should I re-take [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 19:33
Expert's post
Yes, your chances at PT are better. The average gmat scores for PT programs are less and I think competition is less too since you are limited to those who can physically attend the program while working full time.

You can see the average gmat scores here: us-part-time-mba-rankings-class-profiles-and-comparison-84898.html (Booth did not publish its score for some reason....)

Compare that to the full time: 2010-mba-rankings-99812.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Happy with the score, but should I re-take [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 06:54
Thanks BB.
I have been spending most of my last week trying to assess if my score will me a decent shot and with your response I am convinced I should go for it.
I will now focus on my application process.

Regards,
Sameer
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 21

Re: Happy with the score, but should I re-take [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 07:40
Fijisurf wrote:
First of all, thank you GMATClub community!

I took GMAT yesterday and got 690 (Q48, V37). Overall 88 percentile (each, V and Q are 80 percentile).
I would say I did not feel nervous during exam: focusing was not a problem. Earplugs were provided and helped a lot, as many people came to the test center that day. Four hours of the test just flew by. I used all the breaks to stretch and have a bite.

It has been a while since I graduated, so I had to start from the beginning. I started my preparation 5 month ago by spending 2 hours per day after work and 5 hours on Sat and Sunday. I used MGMAT SC, MGMAT Numbers, MGMAT RC and CR Bible. All of books were helpful to some degree; however, MGMAT SC definitely stands out of all. Other books had couple of helpful strategies.

My practice tests:

MGMAT1 640 (45,33) - early fall
MGMAT2 660 (45, 35)
MGMAT3 670 (48, 33)
MGMAT4 680 (48, 35)
MGMAT5 680 (47, 36)
MGMAT6 690 (48, 36)

GMAT Prep 1 700 (49, 38)
GMAT Prep 2 710 (50, 35)

I would say practice tests are overall a pretty good prediction of exam performance. Perhaps, I did a little bit worse on the real exam. I am debating if it is a good idea to retake the exam; however, I doubt, that it is worth the effort: maximum I can get is extra 10 or 20 points, which will not shift my score considerably.

I am targeting top 10 schools. I will have to apply for R3, hoping that my background will help.
I have a PhD in molecular biology and was working in biotech/pharma R&D for the past several years. My age, 34, can be a disadvantage, though.
I will also have to take TOEFL, as I am from Europe originally.

Thank you guys for all the help you provided! I would appreciate any suggestions.

Your score is fine (not outstanding but fine). Just forget about the GMAT, live with it, and focus on the application process (essays are very important).
good luck, keep us posted

If you find the post useful, don't be shy and Kudo me ;)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 14

Re: Happy with the score, but should I re-take [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 08:11
I think the score is pretty decent. Your rest of the application matters a lot. All the best

Consider +1 Kudos if you find my post useful. Even otherwise :D
Please feel free to point out any errors in whatever I post.

Manager
Manager

Re: Happy with the score, but should I re-take [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 09:51
Thank you for all the replies.
I got my AWA score. It is 4.5
I guess it could be better, but still around average?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Happy with the score, but should I re-take [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 12:28
nice score!! congrats!!!!! i am pretty sure you could improve!! let me know...
good luck
Re: Happy with the score, but should I re-take   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2011, 12:28