Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [32]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [7]
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 465 [2]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 690 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Jane walked for 4 miles. What was her average speed for the first 2 mi [#permalink]
fyi: going fwd, please let us know when you give the answer (spoil) in the post. some of us like the challenge of trying to solve and then giving feedback. if you choose to take my suggestion please hit the return key a few times before posting the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Send PM
Re: Jane walked for 4 miles. What was her average speed for the first 2 mi [#permalink]
EX

At 7:00am, Claire leaves the spa, driving her car at 80kph she reaches her house at 7:15am, packs her artwork, and at 7:45am, leaves for the design lab, which is 10km from her house. If she drives her car at 40kph in going to the design lab, what will her average speed be from the spa to the lab ?

O 30 kph
O 40 kph
O 53.3 kph
O 60 kph
O 66.7 kph

The answer is below.

AA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [0]
Send PM
danielwaugh wrote:
EX

At 7:00am, Claire leaves the spa, driving her car at 80kph she reaches her house at 7:15am, packs her artwork, and at 7:45am, leaves for the design lab, which is 10km from her house. If she drives her car at 40kph in going to the design lab, what will her average speed be from the spa to the lab ?

O 30 kph
O 40 kph
O 53.3 kph
O 60 kph
O 66.7 kph

In this case, total time taken = 1 hr
Distance covered = 80 * 1/4 + 10 = 30 km

Avg speed = 30 km/h
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Juaz wrote:

Here we have "average speed", so stopover doesn't make any difference. Question is fine IMO.

(1) This gves time taken for whole trip..i.e. 75 min.
INSUFF

(2) x = time taken for first 2 miles
total time take x+x+15
INSUFF

From 1 & 2

2x+15 = 75
=> x = 30 min
Average speed for first 2 miles = 2/(30/60) = 4 miles/hr
SUFF...Ans C.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I agree that 1. gives total time = 75 minutes.

However, 2. can give (x) + (stopover time) + (x+15).

So, combining 1. and 2., you get:
2x + 15 + (stopover time) = 75.
2x + (stopover time) = 60.

This is why I think that the answer should be E. But of course, I may be wrong in my assumptions (should I consider stopovers?)

NOTE
Average speed in traveling from point A to point B is defined to be the total distance from point A to point B, divided by the total time it takes to go from point A to point B, and this means that the stopover time will be important.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I think the question is fine. we should just be relying on the info given. I won't lie, some of these probs get me too.

back to the orig prob. I was toying around w/this a bit and don't understand why this approach won't work (admittedly, Juaz's is much cleaner and quicker). Can anyone tell me why?
Quote:
Jane walked for 4 miles. What was her average speed for the first 2 miles?

1. Janes average speed for the 4 miles was 3.2 miles per hour.
2. It took Jane 15 minutes longer to walk the second 2 miles than it took her to walk the first 2 miles.

1) t = 4/3.2

2)

1st leg:
rt = 2
t = 2/r

2nd leg:
r(t+15) = 2
rt + 15r = 2
t = 2 - 15r/r

2 - 15r/r + 2/r = 4/3.2 =

4-15r/r = 4/3.2

I tried solving for r and kept coming up empty. what gives???
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 465 [0]
Send PM
ggarr wrote:
I think the question is fine. we should just be relying on the info given. I won't lie, some of these probs get me too.

back to the orig prob. I was toying around w/this a bit and don't understand why this approach won't work (admittedly, Juaz's is much cleaner and quicker). Can anyone tell me why?
Quote:

2. It took Jane 15 minutes longer to walk the second 2 miles than it took her to walk the first 2 miles.

1) t = 4/3.2

2)

1st leg:
rt = 2
t = 2/r

2nd leg:
r(t+15) = 2
rt + 15r = 2
t = 2 - 15r/r

4-15r/r = 4/3.2

I understand now why stopovers do not count, cuz the stem says "It took Jane 15 minutes longer to walk the second 2 miles than it took her to walk the first 2 miles." which means stopovers already excluded, if there were any.

As for the last post, since it is DS, no need for calculations. in fact quite few DS`s have unrealistic answers, if you try to solve them.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
IrinaOK wrote:
ggarr wrote:

Quote:

1) t = 4/3.2

2)

1st leg:
rt = 2
t = 2/r

2nd leg:
r(t+15) = 2
rt + 15r = 2
t = 2 - 15r/r

4-15r/r = 4/3.2

I understand now why stopovers do not count, cuz the stem says "It took Jane 15 minutes longer to walk the second 2 miles than it took her to walk the first 2 miles." which means stopovers already excluded, if there were any.

As for the last post, since it is DS, no need for calculations. in fact quite few DS`s have unrealistic answers, if you try to solve them.

In principle, I did the same thing that Juaz did (at least I think I did). but his worked. why didn't the above?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 465 [0]
Send PM
ggarr wrote:
IrinaOK wrote:
ggarr wrote:

Quote:

1) t = 4/3.2

2)

1st leg:
rt = 2
t = 2/r

2nd leg:
r(t+15) = 2
rt + 15r = 2--------------> t=(2-15r)/r
t = 2 - 15r/r

4-15r/r = 4/3.2

In principle, I did the same thing that Juaz did (at least I think I did). but his worked. why didn't the above?

yep, it is just miscalculation. Look at the text in red.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Send PM
Susan drove at an average speed of 30 miles per hour for the first 30 miles of a trip and then at an average speed of 60 miles per hour for the remaining 30 miles of the trip. If she made no stops during the trip, what was Susan's average speed, in miles per hour, for the entire trip?

There is a reason for them to STATE
"If she made no stops during the trip,", right?

I really find it confusing. Could it be that they made a mistake, a typo, if you will, in writing the answer key to the DS item above (choice C)?

Please vote.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
IrinaOK wrote:
ggarr wrote:
IrinaOK wrote:
ggarr wrote:

Quote:

1) t = 4/3.2

2)

1st leg:
rt = 2
t = 2/r

2nd leg:
r(t+15) = 2
rt + 15r = 2--------------> t=(2-15r)/r
t = 2 - 15r/r

4-15r/r = 4/3.2

yep, it is just miscalculation. Look at the text in red.

IrinaOK,

please look at my text below your first edit. isn't that the same as what you did? t = 2 - 15r/r
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3378 [2]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos