Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 10:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hard Work, Toil, and INTENSITY 580->740(Q50 V40) in 4 Weeks

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [4] , given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Hard Work, Toil, and INTENSITY 580->740(Q50 V40) in 4 Weeks [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 07:35
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey guys,

Before I begin my post, I want to thank everyone for their contributions on this forum. The philosophy of Ubuntu is greatly portrayed in this forum and there is a lot to learn by reading all of the high quality materials, guides that everyone has posted here.

I'll begin with a brief background...

I recently graduated from a top 5 undergraduate engineering program in the US and will begin working for McKinsey & Co. in a few months. I am strong quantitatively, but also enjoy writing, reading, and grammar. I had very high expectations going into my first GMAT practice cat, Knewton CAT1 (I was totally cold). I was beyond shocked to see a Q42,V28 - 580 total score. I mean I have always been poor at standardized tests, but from what I had seen my friends scoring I had no idea I could do this poorly.

The Quick Version:

Resources Used
1) knewton course
2) all official gmat guides
3) manhattan gmat SC
4) gmat club app

Tests:
1) Knewton 1 - 580 (q42,v28)
2) Knewton 2 - 680 (q46,v37)
3) Knewton 3 - 680 (q46,v37)
4) GMAT Prep 1 - 760 (q50, v41)
5) MGMAT CAT 1 - 760 (q49,v45)
6) Knewton 4 - 730 (q48, v42)

Actual GMAT: 740 (q50,v40)

The biggest takeaway I can give you from this is to channel your energy. Though I was shocked, I wasn't "down on myself" so to speak. I simply channeled it as fuel for the fire that would be the upcoming 4 week trek to the GMAT. Though I was a computer science/math major, there were plenty of math concepts that just didn't stick, and I ran way low on time on the verbal section essentially blindly guessing on the last 5 questions, and even not doing the final question. As you should know by now, this KILLS your score.

So began my studying... I primarily used Knewton to prepare, but also bought Manhattan GMAT guides (of which I only used their Sentence Correction guide right at the end of my prep). My studying involved doing the Knewton course in 2 weeks, then doing several practice questions from the purple official guide v12.

At first I did the first 6 knewton sessions. This was essentially the GMAT basics. I did all their practice homework and even a bit of their extra homework. I would watch the videos on demand and take notes of important things they said, consistently pausing the videos. I then took another GMAT CAT (Knewton CAT2) - 680(q46,v37). I was relieved! A 100 point increase in 7 days, much better!

My biggest weakness at this point was Critical Reasoning. So I essentially focused ONLY on this for a week. Therefore, I did their lessons out of order, and I did every critical reasoning bonus lesson I could find and all the practice homework. I essentially exhausted Knewton's critical reasoning set of questions besides what would be on their practice CATs. This was again very intense studying. I would log every single question that I got wrong in one section of a giant 5 subject notebook. I would specify the homewok number, and question number and literally detail to myself why I got it wrong. Writing this down (instead of typing it out) helps map it into your head much better than typing it out on a computerized error log. Its not even so much about reviewing these later as it is writing essentially notes to yourself of what you did wrong. It is very essential to read the answer explanations and work through them and understand.

Knewton is incredibly useful here because they tag each of their questions with concepts. So if you notice you are getting a certain type wrong, you can learn about the concept in a dedicated concept page.

At the end of the second week I took another practice test. 680(q46,v37) again! and Same breakdown! I was shocked! Luckily, this score doesn't tell the whole story :). I realized that because I focused so heavily on the CR section, I was essentially out of practice with the other sections.. I ended up slowing down a lot on both the Math & Verbal sections, not finishing either on time. In fact, it was this third test where I learned my biggest lesson of all which engendered a complete mindset shift.

It is not about getting a question right, it is about getting a question right in 2 mins (or whatever the estimated time for that particular question type is).

I read a few MGMAT articles on GMAT timing, and the way I began to approach timing was by the end of the first minute you should know whether you will get this question right or wrong. By the end of second minute you should ONLY continue if you are for sure going to get an answer (hopefully a right one - aka you've figured out the underlying algorithm to solve the problem and the only thing that can prevent you from a right answer is a silly mistake).

I enforced this religiously in a few practice sets, I did the rest of the Knewton course (well the majority of it...), and took GMAT Prep #1 - 760 (q50, v41). Boom! That's what I'm talking about.

Now it was week 4. I had about a week and a half left until the GMAT and all that was left was to do a lot of practice questions, learn about the essay, and start taking full tests. Every day I would either have problem workouts where I did sets of OG questions (only med/hard for Verbal, only Hard for Math). Probably about 20 of each type of question. Then on the next day I would take a practice test. I took Manhattan GMAT CAT#1 - 760(q49,v45). This was my first test with essays, so technically an improvement because my stamina should have dropped.

Did some more review, Knewton Test #4 - 730(q48,v42).

At this point it was the thursday before the test, I was pretty exhausted. I had studied so intensely for 4 weeks and though I had planned to take more tests (GMAT Prep 2, Knewton 5/6)... I decided not to.

I took it very easy these last few days.

Onto the actual GMAT day. I'm pretty sure I killed the essays. The math section had me incredibly worried, I thought the questions were very easy - goes to show you can't predict anything - i got a q50!

I think my verbal performance was below my expected level. I had read the MGMAT SC guide and done problems the last week (i forgot to mention this). I HIGHLY recommend this guide. It was significantly better than any material Knewton had on SC. The key difference is that Manhattan GMAT really focuses on showing you how the GMAT will test it, while Knewton offers a review of things and is significantly less comprehensive. Anyway, I realistically expected my verbal score level which was probably around a 41/42 to shoot up to a 45 because I had learned so much.

Unfortunately I got very hammered on the verbal section. I think I was doing extremely well at first because the long reading passage I got was far and away the toughest reading passage I have ever seen. I should mention that on my last three practice tests and the majority of my workouts with ONLY hard GMAT Purple Book problems I was getting 100% on reading comprehension. I am pretty sure I got only 1 or 2 out of 6 questions correct on this passage. It was extremely difficult, long winded, passively written, and about a subject that was very archaic.

Additionally, the sentence correction questions started having a tremendous amount of dashes in them - I got about 6 questions where they were used very sparingly and distinguished choices. I thought this was unfair because dashes had never been a central part of the GMAT.

Score comes up - 740 (Q50, V40). I was relieved. Done. I think this was slightly on the lower side of my score range, but hey, what can you do! Life goes on :).

Best of luck to everyone - i hope my very candid and detailed debrief has helped you. If I can give you one piece of advice for that GMAT, and for life, in general for that matter, it would be to never let a score shatter your confidence nor let it boast it. What is important is to (here comes the engineer in me...) dig deep and truly understand what was the essential flaw in your performance. I did this consistently for a month, for each and every question I got wrong which is why I was able to achieve such a tremendous score gain so fast. On a macro picture, when I took tests I took lessons out of them. lessons of timing, of stamina, and of healthy mentality. This is why it is important to iterate your training with tests, but also with focus lessons on specific areas. Don't just take tests blindly. At the same time, don't just read material without doing problems. Iterate!

All best!
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 46

Re: Hard Work, Toil, and INTENSITY 580->740(Q50 V40) in 4 Weeks [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 07:50
Awesome!! Congratulations!

+1 to you!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Hard Work, Toil, and INTENSITY 580->740(Q50 V40) in 4 Weeks [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 22:49
Awesome score! good luck for ur apps!

i'm taking gmat in exactly 4 weeks and im halfway into my prep,still have a lot to do both in q & v, do u think is should continue to study concepts before i take another test? i've only taken 1 (GMAT Prep) until now (3 weeks ago) and realise time is running out, though i need to get the concepts in, i also need to be able to build stamina to sit thru 4 hrs! Any advice is greatly appreciated..

Thanks for ur help!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Hard Work, Toil, and INTENSITY 580->740(Q50 V40) in 4 Weeks [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 08:52
hey, congratulations!!

you said you only did med/hard exercises from the OG... which ones would you consider hard?? ... I've already solved the whole guide and I didn't feel like it had much hard questions on the math section, I've been studying the MGMAT books, but they dont come with hard practice questions :(
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Hard Work, Toil, and INTENSITY 580->740(Q50 V40) in 4 Weeks [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 08:58
Congratulation on a great score and thanks for the debrief. :P

Some people with the 700+ score have also mentioned that the RC passages that they saw on the actual test were extremely difficult. Can you elaborate a little bit on your RC strategies? How much time do you spend on reading the passage and on doing each problems? Do you take notes as you read the passage? Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Hard Work, Toil, and INTENSITY 580->740(Q50 V40) in 4 Weeks [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 06:28
WOW! you are the man!!
well done!
keep going!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 26

Premium Member
Re: Hard Work, Toil, and INTENSITY 580->740(Q50 V40) in 4 Weeks [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 11:03
Nice score and debrief

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-15-2012
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 20

Re: Hard Work, Toil, and INTENSITY 580->740(Q50 V40) in 4 Weeks [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 17:33
Congratulations, great score!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 75

Re: Hard Work, Toil, and INTENSITY 580->740(Q50 V40) in 4 Weeks [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2011, 07:20
Congratulations!

My GMAT debrief: from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 22

Re: Hard Work, Toil, and INTENSITY 580->740(Q50 V40) in 4 Weeks [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2011, 19:37
Amazing debrief. Motivating too. I have been stuck with a low score for weeks. When i do practice questions (non test environment) with the timer on my scores seem fine but in the test like environment by scores drop.

Guess i need to review my strategy.

Regards,
Asher

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 7

Re: Hard Work, Toil, and INTENSITY 580->740(Q50 V40) in 4 Weeks [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2011, 20:13
Hey Congratulations !!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Hard Work, Toil, and INTENSITY 580->740(Q50 V40) in 4 Weeks [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2011, 00:16
hey guys,

thanks for all the great questions and apologies for not replying until now - i've actually been out of the country!

lets get this started...

@targetgmatt - Great question. As i mentioned an interative approach is very important. at the base level you need to review all the concepts through some test prep books or course. however, i found it very helpful to integrate tests into my training because REVIEWING these tests is extremely crucial in discovering holes in your knowledge. Tests are just hole discovery tools. reviewing them is where you realize you are weak. im not sure your time commitment per day but i would advise you to take another practice test now and then adapt the rest of you training based on the holes you've discovered. Clearly youve progressed since 3 weeks ago.

@sandriux - Thanks for the great question. the hard/med are what is specified by the gmatclub ipad app. i think the OG guide itself says what is med/hard when you look at explanations.

@samwong - Excellent question. i used to take fairly detailed notes (compared to an avg gmat test taker id presume, they werent in actuality detailed), but i sort of stopped this as I was getting consistent 100% on RC in all my practice tests and this saved time. if i could go back on my really difficult passage i had on the actual gmat i would advise myself to slow down and have taken detailed notes. after i finished the passage ( i wish i could mention the topic but i dont want to risk any violations) i really had an incredibly vague idea of what it was about and the questions were unfortunately very detailed. I wasnt able to accurately formulate a correct answer to almost any of the 6 questions and im pretty sure i got the majority of them wrong.

@Asher - I feel that you may benefit from increasing the intensity of your training. i would do "workouts" of 30 problems at a time. then review them thoroughly. always review wrong answers and answers that took too long. i usually did back to back workouts before i took a break. The thing about exams, just like job interviews, is you often arent able to think super clearly and its really more about memory mapping. Note that this is different than stamina. So stretching yourself as much as possible while prepping will ensure that when exam time comes your mind is as agile as possible.

I hope this helps - keep the questions coming. Apologies if any of my responses were not very clear; i've been running on a consistent 4 hrs of sleep all week long. Europe is one big party ;D!
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Hard Work, Toil, and INTENSITY 580->740(Q50 V40) in 4 Weeks [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 21:26
Bump!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2293

Kudos [?]: 9027 [0], given: 3676

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Hard Work, Toil, and INTENSITY 580->740(Q50 V40) in 4 Weeks [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 21:53
Expert's post
wow - congratulations on a fantastic score!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Duke '15
GPA: 3.9

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 4

Re: Hard Work, Toil, and INTENSITY 580->740(Q50 V40) in 4 Weeks [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 08:04
That is a great score - and pretty balanced also. The jump in score in just 4 weeks is remarkable, some people take several months to see half that change. Congratulations

Show Thanks to fellow members with Kudos its shows your appreciation and its free

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 46

Re: Hard Work, Toil, and INTENSITY 580->740(Q50 V40) in 4 Weeks [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 08:23
DYNAMITE wrote:
Best of luck to everyone - i hope my very candid and detailed debrief has helped you. If I can give you one piece of advice for that GMAT, and for life, in general for that matter, it would be to never let a score shatter your confidence nor let it boast it. What is important is to (here comes the engineer in me...) dig deep and truly understand what was the essential flaw in your performance. I did this consistently for a month, for each and every question I got wrong which is why I was able to achieve such a tremendous score gain so fast. On a macro picture, when I took tests I took lessons out of them. lessons of timing, of stamina, and of healthy mentality. This is why it is important to iterate your training with tests, but also with focus lessons on specific areas. Don't just take tests blindly. At the same time, don't just read material without doing problems. Iterate!

All best!

Hey DYNAMITE, Congrates for the awesome score!!
I liked your last paragraph. "never let a score shatter your confidence" ...Motivating...;)

Cheers,
Aj.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Hard Work, Toil, and INTENSITY 580->740(Q50 V40) in 4 Weeks [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2011, 06:27
Thanks guys!
Retired Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 33

Re: Hard Work, Toil, and INTENSITY 580->740(Q50 V40) in 4 Weeks [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2011, 08:04
hey DYNAMITE...wonderful score and thanks for the debrief...
you said that you enrolled for KNEWTON course...

I have a few questions regarding the course content
how do u rate the Material and the 13 Videos (primarily for Verbal..) ..is the course worth the $$...
Do u think your improvement in verbal section had anything to do with the course material? I have problems with all the 3 sections of verbal (accuracy of around 60-70%)..though i have been improving in terms of the way i am approaching the problems..the lack of confidence that i can get 40's in verbal is killing me and hence thinking about the course

Thank you very much
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.94

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Hard Work, Toil, and INTENSITY 580->740(Q50 V40) in 4 Weeks [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2011, 08:50
congrats!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Hard Work, Toil, and INTENSITY 580->740(Q50 V40) in 4 Weeks [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2011, 09:06
This post received
KUDOS
@life changer - great questions! I think you will definitely benefit from the knewton course. It is primarily what I used to prepare. Their strategies are great. Don't bother paying for the live course... As I said, I would recommend using the mgmat sc guide after you do the knew ton sc. It covers some stuff that knewton doesn't and isnmore GMAT appropriate!

I'm confident if you do these things you'll push up past a 40! Let me know if I can be of more help :)
Re: Hard Work, Toil, and INTENSITY 580->740(Q50 V40) in 4 Weeks   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2011, 09:06