Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 09:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Harder to get into: Haas or Kellogg?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 37

Harder to get into: Haas or Kellogg? [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 16:04
I'm currently debating where I really want to apply and my list has come down to Darden, Ross, Tuck, and either Haas or Kellogg (maybe Duke but I'm not really into them). My stats are 3.3 GPA (econ, top 20 private school, transfered from a state school with a 4.0 after freshman year and it isn't included in that 3.3 but I don't know if anyone even looks at that...), 700 (43Q/42V low quant but I did econ and have a lot of quant stuff in my transcript so I should be ok, I hope), 4 years of WE in federal consulting, and good ECs after college.

My ultimate goal is to join a start-up or possibly start a business right out of school or potentially go into strategy consulting and then make the transition. So which is harder for someone like me to get into: Haas or Kellogg?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2174

Kudos [?]: 7743 [1] , given: 3629

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Harder to get into: Haas or Kellogg? [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 16:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I think Haas has a very entrepreneurial culture and would be more along the lines of your goals. However, it means that's exactly the people it attracts and your chances to stand out will be slimmer. Also, on pure numbers, of course, Kellogg has a 21% acceptance rate and Haas has only 12%. That's 2x in terms of chances.

I would say Kellogg would be "easier" but I will be probably laughed at for simplifying it this much. The bottom line is nobody knows until you try. So much depends on your LOR's, essays, and interviews, that it is REALLY hard to tell.

Good luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 37

Re: Harder to get into: Haas or Kellogg? [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 06:22
Thanks for the input. Haas is really sticking out to me right now.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Harder to get into: Haas or Kellogg? [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 08:38
Why not apply to both? It is my advice in the current business school admissions landscape to apply to between 5 and 6 schools so that you will have a choice at the end. Also, I always advise candidates that they have no options until they get accepted to a program - so at this stage you have no options. Lastly, adding one more school is not going to be that much more work/time/money/energy so I recommend applying to both Kellogg and Haas.

Based on your stats, I would say that you are on the middle margin for Kellogg and and low margin for Haas. However, last year I had a candidate with much lower scores and grades get admitted to Haas so this told me that they really look for the right cultural and professional fit over simply statistics. Thus, if your application speaks to admissions, your application might go from being on the lower margin to the upper margin -- which means your chances of getting an interview are greatly increased.

Whatever your decision, good luck in this difficult process.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Re: Harder to get into: Haas or Kellogg?   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2012, 08:38