Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 956 [162]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 400 [62]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 252 [36]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools: Erasmus (S)
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [35]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Ms. Barton has four children. You are told correctly that she has at [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
raghupara wrote:
Hi people,

Suddenly, something comes to my mind so awfully, but I couldn't disprove why I am wrong. Could someone help me in this.

I suddenly see it as : P(2 girls, 2 boys) = 1/2*1/2*1/2*1/2 = 1/16.(since each has a prob of 1/2).

Pls disprove me.... I don see where I am wrong, but I know surely I am.

Thanks

The following is the complete explanation for this question:

You need to find Probability of 2 boys and 2 girls given there are at least 2 girls. This is a conditional probability. You have already been given that there are at least 2 girls. You need to find the probability of 2 boys and 2 girls given this condition.
P(A given B) = P(A)/P(B)

P(2 boys, 2 girls) = (1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2) * 4!/(2!*2!) = 3/8
You multiply by 4!/(2!*2!) because out of the four children, any 2 could be boys and the other two would be girls. So you have to account for all arrangements: BGBG, BBGG, BGGB etc

P(atleast 2 girls) = P(2 boys, 2 girls) + P(1 boy, 3 girls) + P(4 girls) = 1 - P(4 boys) - P(3 boys, 1 girl)
You can solve P(atleast 2 girls) in any way you like.
P(1 boy, 3 girls) = (1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2) * 4!/3! = 1/4
P(4 girls) = (1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2) = 1/16
P(atleast 2 girls) = 3/8 + 1/4 + 1/16 = 11/16

P(2 boys, 2 girls given atleast 2 girls) = P(2 boys, 2 girls) / P(atleast 2 girls) = (3/8)/(11/16) = 6/11

In the above given solutions, all the (1/2)s have been ignored because the probability of a boy is 1/2 and of a girl is 1/2 too. Hence in every case you will get (1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2) which can be ignored. We just need to focus on arrangements in each case. This is similar to the famous coin flipping questions (the probability of 3 Heads and a tail etc)

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 26 Oct 2011, 20:33.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 02 Oct 2022, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [25]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Re: Ms. Barton has four children. You are told correctly that she has at [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
You need to determine the number of favourable arrangements (i.e. arrangements for which # girls = 2) out of all possible arrangements (i.e. arrangements for which # girls >= 2)

# arrangements for 2 girls and 2 boys (favourable arrangement) = 4! / (2!*2!) = 6
# arrangements for 3 girls and 1 boy = 4! / (3!*1!) = 4
# arrangements for 4 girls and 0 boys = 4! / 4! = 1

Thus, # favourable arrangements / # possible arrangements = 6 / (6 + 4+ 1) = 6/11
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Ms. Barton has four children. You are told correctly that she has at [#permalink]
Hi people,

Suddenly, something comes to my mind so awfully, but I couldn't disprove why I am wrong. Could someone help me in this.

I suddenly see it as : P(2 girls, 2 boys) = 1/2*1/2*1/2*1/2 = 1/16.(since each has a prob of 1/2).

Thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1111 [6]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
Kudos
4 girls, 0 boys - 4C4=1
3 girls, 1 boy-4C3=4
2 girls, 2 boys -4C2=6
total- 6+4+1=11

so ,the probability of "2 boys" is 6/11
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
Send PM
What am I missing here?

The questions clearly states that 2 of the 4 kids are girls. It also clearly asks "what is the probability that the other 2 are boys?"

This gives us a P of 1/2 that a child will be a boy and 1/2 that the child will be a girl. Armed with the fact that having two girls will have no significance on the sex of the other two children, we can treat this as mutually exclusive scenario.

So there is P:1/2 that one of the remaining children is a boy, and P:1/2 that the other child is also a boy. Therefore, the probability would become 1/4.

Am I reading this question wrong?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
forevertfc wrote:
What am I missing here?

The questions clearly states that 2 of the 4 kids are girls. It also clearly asks "what is the probability that the other 2 are boys?"

This gives us a P of 1/2 that a child will be a boy and 1/2 that the child will be a girl. Armed with the fact that having two girls will have no significance on the sex of the other two children, we can treat this as mutually exclusive scenario.

So there is P:1/2 that one of the remaining children is a boy, and P:1/2 that the other child is also a boy. Therefore, the probability would become 1/4.

We are concerned about the 4 selections together, not the individual selection. What this means is that if your logic is correct, the probability of having 4 girls would be the same as the probability of having 2 girls and 2 boys. But is that correct? No it is not.

In how many ways can you have 4 girls?
(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2) = 1/16 (First child girl,next girl, next girl, next girl)

In how many ways can you have 2 girls and 2 boys?
(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2) = 1/16 (First child girl,next girl, next boy, next boy)
(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2) = 1/16 (First child girl,next boy, next girl, next boy)
(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2) = 1/16 (First child girl,next boy, next boy, next girl)
and so on...

There is a sequence to obtaining kids and that needs to be factored in. Many ways will lead to 2 girls and 2 boys hence the probability of obtaining 2 girls and 2 boys will be higher than the probability of obtaining 4 girls. The question clearly tells us that we don't know which 2 are girls so we cannot say that this the case where first child and second child are girls and others are boys. Hence you need to follow the method discussed above: ms-barton-has-four-children-you-are-told-correctly-that-sh-110962.html?sid=9797da5586e03fc5fd356ef7e6808458#p991399

It is similar to the coin flipping case. Every coin flip is independent of the other but the probability of obtaining 4 heads in 4 flips is less than the probability of obtaining 2 heads and 2 tails.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
raghupara wrote:
Hi people,

Thanks

You need to find Probability of 2 boys and 2 girls given there are at least 2 girls. This is a conditional probability. You have already been given that there are at least 2 girls. You need to find the probability of 2 boys and 2 girls given this condition.
P(A given B) = P(A)/P(B)

You multiply by 4!/(2!*2!) because out of the four children, any 2 could be boys and the other two would be girls. So you have to account for all arrangements: BGBG, BBGG, BGGB etc

P(atleast 2 girls) = P(2 boys, 2 girls) + P(1 boy, 3 girls) + P(4 girls) = 1 - P(4 boys) - P(3 boys, 1 girl)

P(2 boys, 2 girls given atleast 2 girls) = P(2 boys, 2 girls) / P(atleast 2 girls) = (3/8)/(11/16) = 6/11

In the above given solutions, all the (1/2)s have been ignored because the probability of a boy is 1/2 and of a girl is 1/2 too. Hence in every case you will get (1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2) which can be ignored. We just need to focus on arrangements in each case. This is similar to the famous coin flipping questions (the probability of 3 Heads and a tail etc) (check out Binomial Probability in Veritas Combinatorics book for an explanation)

Hi Karishma,
Perhaps you missed my previous question.
I don't understand why when calculating the odds of calculating 2 boys and 2 girls, you multiply by (1/2)^4. We are already told that 2 girls are given... So why not multiply just by the odds of the rest being boys, which is (1/2)^2?
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ronr34 wrote:
raghupara wrote:
Hi people,

Thanks

P(A given B) = P(A)/P(B)

In the above given solutions, all the (1/2)s have been ignored because the probability of a boy is 1/2 and of a girl is 1/2 too. Hence in every case you will get (1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2) which can be ignored. We just need to focus on arrangements in each case. This is similar to the famous coin flipping questions (the probability of 3 Heads and a tail etc) (check out Binomial Probability in Veritas Combinatorics book for an explanation)

Hi Karishma,
Perhaps you missed my previous question.
I don't understand why when calculating the odds of calculating 2 boys and 2 girls, you multiply by (1/2)^4. We are already told that 2 girls are given... So why not multiply just by the odds of the rest being boys, which is (1/2)^2?

Probability of A given B = P(A) (out of all possible cases)/P(B) (out of all possible cases)

B will be a subset of all possible cases and A will be a subset of B. When you calculate P(A), you assume all possible cases and then divide by P(B) because the only range you have to consider is P(B). Since P(B) is less than 1 usually, Probability of A given B is usually more than P(A).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [0]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
Top Contributor
Whats the significance of the following statement in the question- "Assume that the probability of having a boy is the same as the probability of having a girl." ?
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
JarvisR wrote:
Whats the significance of the following statement in the question- "Assume that the probability of having a boy is the same as the probability of having a girl." ?

This tells you that the probability of having a boy = Probability of having a girl = 0.5

Another question could say that the probability of having a boy = 0.6 which would mean that the probability of having a girl is 0.4.

Look at this solution: ms-barton-has-four-children-you-are-told-correctly-that-sh-110962.html#p991399

It uses (1/2) which is 0.5. If the two probabilities were different, we would have used 0.6 and 0.4.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Expert Reply
Onell wrote:
Ms. Barton has four children. You are told correctly that she has at least two girls but you are not told which two of her four children are those girls. What is the probability that she also has two boys? (Assume that the probability of having a boy is the same as the probability of having a girl.)

(A) 1/4

(B) 3/8

(C) 5/11

(D) 1/2

(E) 6/11

1. Since you are told there are at least two girls, you proceed from what is certainly known to calculate the total number of cases. So you eliminate the cases of 1 girl and no girl. The total number of cases will be 16-5=11
2. Favorable cases are ggbb, gbbg, gbgb, bbgg, bggb, bgbg, a total of 6
3. Probability is 6/11.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
forevertfc wrote:
What am I missing here?

We are concerned about the 4 selections together, not the individual selection. What this means is that if your logic is correct, the probability of having 4 girls would be the same as the probability of having 2 girls and 2 boys. But is that correct? No it is not.

In how many ways can you have 4 girls?
(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2) = 1/16 (First child girl,next girl, next girl, next girl)

In how many ways can you have 2 girls and 2 boys?
(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2) = 1/16 (First child girl,next girl, next boy, next boy)
(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2) = 1/16 (First child girl,next boy, next girl, next boy)
(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2) = 1/16 (First child girl,next boy, next boy, next girl)
and so on...

There is a sequence to obtaining kids and that needs to be factored in. Many ways will lead to 2 girls and 2 boys hence the probability of obtaining 2 girls and 2 boys will be higher than the probability of obtaining 4 girls. The question clearly tells us that we don't know which 2 are girls so we cannot say that this the case where first child and second child are girls and others are boys. Hence you need to follow the method discussed above: https://gmatclub.com/forum/ms-barton-has ... 58#p991399

It is similar to the coin flipping case. Every coin flip is independent of the other but the probability of obtaining 4 heads in 4 flips is less than the probability of obtaining 2 heads and 2 tails.

Why are we getting into arrangements. The question is about probability (no matter in which order). Then the answer should be 1/4. why is it wrong?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dprchem wrote:
Why are we getting into arrangements. The question is about probability (no matter in which order). Then the answer should be 1/4. why is it wrong?

Ms. Barton currently has two girls. If the probability of having a girl is equal to the probability of having a boy, what is the probability that her next two children are boys?

Here, the first 2 children must be girls.
Below are all the ways for the first 2 children to be girls:
GGBB
GGBG
GGGB
GGGG
Of the 4 possible outcomes, only the 1 case in blue includes 2 boys.
Thus:
P(the next 2 children are boys) = 1/4.

The posted problem is different.
It asks the following:

Of Ms. Barton's 4 children, at least two are girls. If the probability of having a girl is equal to the probability of having a boy, what is the probability that there are 2 boys among Ms. Barton's 4 children?

Here, the first two children do NOT have to be girls.
The only condition is that AT LEAST 2 of the 4 children must be girls.
As a result, a greater number of outcomes are possible.
Below are all the ways for at least 2 girls to be among the 4 children:

4 girls:
GGGG

3 girls:
GGGB
GGBG
GBGG
BGGG

2 girls:
GGBB
GBGB
GBBG
BGGB
BGBG
BBGG
BBGG

Of the 11 ways to have at least 2 girls, only the 6 cases in blue include 2 boys.
Thus:
P(2 boys are among the 4 children) = 6/11.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
Onell wrote:
Ms. Barton has four children. You are told correctly that she has at least two girls but you are not told which two of her four children are those girls. What is the probability that she also has two boys? (Assume that the probability of having a boy is the same as the probability of having a girl.)

(A) 1/4
(B) 3/8
(C) 5/11
(D) 1/2
(E) 6/11

As there are at least two girls, then the available combination in given scenario would be -
GGGG- 1 arrangement
GGGB- 4 arrangements (GGGB, GGBG, GBGG, BGGG)
GGBB- 6 arrangements (GGBB, GBGB, BGBG, GBBG, BGGB, BBGG)

Total=11

P(2B in given scenario)= 6/11
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 315
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
GMATGuruNY avigutman KarishmaB what would prompt us in this question to take permutations? We could very well have only taken gggb,gggg,ggbb as cases and considered probability to be 1/3. lets ignore that solutions dont have this as ans because its wrong but pls tell the reasoning here for doing so? In other words why would it be so that each of the three possibilities lead to different number of orders for each
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
GMATGuruNY avigutman KarishmaB what would prompt us in this question to take permutations? We could very well have only taken gggb,gggg,ggbb as cases and considered probability to be 1/3. lets ignore that solutions dont have this as ans because its wrong but pls tell the reasoning here for doing so? In other words why would it be so that each of the three possibilities lead to different number of orders for each

The probability of having all boys is not the same as the probability of having 1 girl and 3 boys. If you do not consider the arrangements, you are assuming that the probabilities are the same.

Probability of all boys = (1/2)^4 = 1/16

Probability of 1 girl and 3 boys = (1/2)^4 * 4 = 4 * 1/16

Probability of 2 girls and 2 boys = (1/2)^4 * 4!/2!*2! = 6 * 1/16

Probability of 3 girls and 1 boy = (1/2)^4 * 4 = 4 * 1/16

Probability of all girls = (1/2)^4 = 1/16

And this is how, they all add up to a probability of 1. If someone has 4 kids, they will have one of these 16 cases - BBBB, BBBG, BBGB, BGBB, ... etc 16 cases.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Ms. Barton has four children. You are told correctly that she has at least two girls but you are not told which two of her four children are those girls. What is the probability that she also has two boys? (Assume that the probability of having a boy is the same as the probability of having a girl.

Incase someone's still looking for a very reasonable, less time taking approach,

Here we are looking for cases of GGBB (different combinations)
We can arrange this as 4!/2!*2!= 6 WAYS

Now probability associated with GGBB Pairs is- 1/2*1/2*1/2*1/2=1/16--- so prob associated w 6 ways=6/16

But total ways is ways in which there will be atleast 2 girls out of 4 children = ways for 2 boys and 2 girls (6 as calculated above) + ways for 3 girls and 1 boy (=4!/3! = 4)+ways for 1 all girls (=1), so total of 11 ways.

probability associated- 11/16

therefore we get 6/16/11/16=6/11
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92912 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts