Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:27 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [36]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [16]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GRE 1: Q760 V650
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [7]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: A cube is made up of equal smaller cubes. Two of the sides [#permalink]
This question does not make any sense. Could you please let us know the source of this question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Just to double check, isn't the number of smaller cubes within a larger cube \(r^3\)not \(r^r\)?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
nphilli1 wrote:
Just to double check, isn't the number of smaller cubes within a larger cube \(r^3\)not \(r^r\)?

You are right. Made the correction.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
A cube is made up of equal smaller cubes. Two of the sides of the larger cube are called A and B. What is the total number of smaller cubes?

(1) When n smaller cubes are painted on A , n is 1/9 of the total number of smaller cubes.
(2) When m smaller cubes are painted on B, m is 1/3 of the total number of smaller cubes

Fact 1: When a cube is made of equal smaller cubes, the number of smaller cubes is \(r^3\) where r is natural number.

Fact 2: Out of the six sides of the bigger cube, we are considering two sides and have named them A and B resp.

Statement 1: when on side A, n smaller cubes are painted we have that value of n equal to 1/9 of the total number of smaller cubes. So n is divisible by 9. Or the number of smaller cubes is a multiple of 9. Statement is not sufficient to answer the question because for example both 27 smaller cubes and 729 smaller cubes satisfy the conditions that the number of smaller cubes is a multiple of 9 and satisfies fact 1.

Statement 2: In this case the number of smaller cubes is a multiple of 3. The number of smaller cubes cannot be greater than \(3^3\) based on this statement alone.

Assume first the number of smaller cubes which is a multiple of 3 and satisfies fact 1, is 27. In this case each side has 9 smaller cubes exposed. If the number of smaller cubes painted, which is m, is 9.we have m =1/3 of the number of smaller cubes.

Assume next the the number of smaller cubes which is a multiple of 3 and satisfies fact 1, is 216. In this case each side has 36 smaller cubes exposed. So you could paint a maximum of 36 smaller cubes. Thus maximum value of m is 36/216 = 1/6 which cannot be equal to 1/3.

For higher multiples of 3, the value of m would keep on decreasing and would never satisfy the conditions mentioned.

Thus statement 2 alone is sufficient to answer this question.

Therefore answer is choice B.

Sorry to point this out but something here is leading to confusion.

First of all if n is the total number of smaller cubes then each surface would have n/6 cubes exposed. This is what I derive from the green highlighted text where it says if 216 is total number of cubes then each surface would have 36 exposed which means we are doing 216/6= 36

By the same logic if 27 is the total number of smaller cubes then each side should have 27/6 number of cubes exposed which means 4.5cubes.
so you can paint a maximum of 4.5 cubes.

(So how come you say that for 27 total number of smaller cubes each side would have 9 cubes exposed?shouldn't it be 27/6 as you did for 216/6)

by your logic
4.5/27= 1/6 , this is what we were getting for 216 cubes too!, so we cannot have 1/3 hence it seems that even 27 total smaller cubes is not a possibility.

Please let me know if I have not understood something.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
I am confused.

Quote:
Assume first the number of smaller cubes which is a multiple of 3 and satisfies fact 1, is 27. In this case each side has 9 smaller cubes exposed. If the number of smaller cubes painted, which is m, is 9.we have m =1/3 of the number of smaller cubes.

Assume next the the number of smaller cubes which is a multiple of 3 and satisfies fact 1, is 216. In this case each side has 36 smaller cubes exposed. So you could paint a maximum of 36 smaller cubes. Thus maximum value of m is 36/216 = 1/6 which cannot be equal to 1/3.

It seems like both Statement 1 and 2 can satisfy the relationship.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Kudos
pretzel wrote:
I am confused.

Quote:

It seems like both Statement 1 and 2 can satisfy the relationship.

if i am not mistaken , question may be flawed as I have tried to show above. check this :
a-cube-is-made-up-of-equal-smaller-cubes-two-of-the-sides-149440.html#p1369419

Let me know if you see any discrepancies in my explanation.
Thanks
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92875 posts