Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:34 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [121]
Given Kudos: 130
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [34]
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [8]
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618697 [0]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Re: The people of the ancient Near East believed that the Earths dry land [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mikemcgarry wrote:
The people of the ancient Near East believed that the Earth’s dry land first appeared when the Creator separated the “water above” from the “water below”, and that there is another ocean in the sky, above the firmament.

(A) appeared when the Creator separated the “water above” from the “water below”, and that there is
(B) appeared when the Creator had separated the “water above” from the “water below”, and that there is
(C) appeared when the Creator separating the “water above” from the “water below”, and that there is
(D) had appeared when the Creator had separated the “water above” from the “water below”, and that there was
(E) appeared when the Creator had separated the “water above” from the “water below”, and that there was[/color]

Magoosh Official Explanation:

Here, we have an interesting variant on indirect speech, a “that”-clause about belief. Both of the first two verbs, to appear and to separate, refer to actions that occurred at the Creation of the World, presumably a past event for anyone speaking about it. In indirect speech, these both should be in the past perfect, “had appeared” and “had separated“. Only (D) has both of these.

The last verb, a form of the verb to be, describes a current condition of the world (at least in this ancient worldview), so this would have been a present tense verb to anyone speaking about it, and in indirect speech, present becomes past, so this should be “there was“, which is correct in both (D) & (E).

Choice (A) has the past “appeared” with the present perfect “has separated” for two events that presumably were simultaneous. Similarly, choice (C) also mismatches the tenses, using the past perfect “had appeared” with the present perfect “has separated.” These cannot be correct.

Choice (B) inexplicably has the past progressive for the verb "was separating", even though there is no reason to emphasis the continuous nature of this past action. Similarly, the hypothetical “would be” is not consistent with the rest of the logic: these ancient people belief something that they thought was really the case, not something hypothetical and speculative. The “would be” would be true in a contrary-to-fact conditional statement: “If what these ancient people believed were true, then there would be another ocean …” This cannot be correct.

Choice (E) makes the strange choice of using the present perfect for “has appeared”, but then makes a huge mistake. The GMAT does not like the structure “with” + [noun] + [participial phrase], and this is what this choice has. This choice is incorrect.

The only possible answer is (D).

From Sequence of Tenses on GMAT Sentence Correction
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [1]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: The people of the ancient Near East believed that the Earth’s dry land [#permalink]
Bookmarks
mikemcgarry wrote:
The people of the ancient Near East believed that the Earth’s dry land first appeared when the Creator separated the “water above” from the “water below”, and that there is another ocean in the sky, above the firmament.
(A) appeared when the Creator separated the “water above” from the “water below”, and that there is
(B) appeared when the Creator had separated the “water above” from the “water below”, and that there is
(C) appeared when the Creator separated the “water above” from the “water below”, and that there is
(D) had appeared when the Creator had separated the “water above” from the “water below”, and that there was
(E) appeared when the Creator had separated the “water above” from the “water below”, and that there was

One of the trickier verb-form topics on the GMAT is Sequence of Tenses. For a detailed discussion of this topic, as well as an explanation of the practice question above, see this post:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/sequence-o ... orrection/
Mike :-)

Mike is it me or are A and C identical?
If so, how can this be?
Cheers
J
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Re: The people of the ancient Near East believed that the Earth’s dry land [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
jlgdr wrote:
Mike is it me or are A and C identical?
If so, how can this be?
Cheers
J

Dear jlgdr,
How can this be? Every one makes mistakes: that's how! I tweaked the choices, so they are no longer identical here. I'm surprised no one caught this earlier. Within Magoosh, this questions has undergone several rounds of revisions, and looks very little like this original form at this point.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Given Kudos: 357
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
Good day Mike,
I have little problem with this SC question. I marked option E, thinking the structure as 2 separate events, with past perfect <had separated the “water above” from the “water below”, >,,,,and simple past < that there was....>...
I don't understand, why we need "had appeared", in option D, instead of simply "appeared", as in option E...
Thanks in advance...
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE:Consulting (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Mike, very much appreciate your in-depth explanations.

I have always been a bit shaky on when the past perfect is required vs when it can be used.

if choice (A) instead read:

(A) appeared when the Creator separated the “water above” from the “water below”, and that there was

would it be preferable over (D)?

is it valid to assume that the creation of land predated the existence of the ancient civilization?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [0]
Expert Reply
m3equals333 wrote:
Mike, very much appreciate your in-depth explanations.

I have always been a bit shaky on when the past perfect is required vs when it can be used.

if choice (A) instead read:

(A) appeared when the Creator separated the “water above” from the “water below”, and that there was

would it be preferable over (D)?

is it valid to assume that the creation of land predated the existence of the ancient civilization?

Dear m3equals333,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

We don't need to have an in-depth knowledge of this ancient worldview, but I think we can agree that there had to be an Earth in the first place before anyone could form a civilization on the Earth. The creation of land absolutely had to happen before anyone started farming or hunting or building houses or anything, so the formation of a civilization absolutely had to come later.

Therefore, that version of (A) is not correct. Everything associated with Creation had to be in the past of the folks who believed this worldview, because by the time they had these beliefs, they were already standing on an Earth that was already in existence. That's why both "appeared" and "separated" must be in the past perfect. I recommend reading this blog:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/sequence-o ... orrection/

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1219 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
I have a doubt on the usage of 'was' instead of 'is' in the option D & E for the post at the Magoosh Blog..Does it not result in a change of meaning intended?

People believed that there is another ocean in the sky
People believed that there was another ocean in the sky

Ty
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [3]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
JusTLucK04 wrote:
I have a doubt on the usage of 'was' instead of 'is' in the option D & E for the post at the Magoosh Blog..Does it not result in a change of meaning intended?

People believed that there is another ocean in the sky
People believed that there was another ocean in the sky

Ty

Dear Ty,
The difference here is not the difference between two valid grammatical constructions with different meanings. Rather, it is the difference between what is correct and what is not correct. When folks are not clear on the rules of grammar, as is often the case in colloquial conversation, all sorts of unintended meanings can arise.

You have to be clear on the sequence of tenses rules. The "believing" is in the past, so anything that those past believers would have considered true in their present would be indicated by the simple past tense, and anything that those past believers considered already done and part of their past would be indicated by the past perfect.

1) People believed that there was another ocean in the sky = If we asked those past people, they would have said, "There's an ocean in the sky right now."
2) People believed that there had been another ocean in the sky = If we asked those past people, they would have said, "Once, there was an ocean in the sky, but that's no longer the case."
3) People believed that there is another ocean in the sky = grammatically incorrect and therefore meaningless
For #3, the statement is meaningless in and of itself, but we can surmise that the person who said that was trying to say #1, as this is identical to a mistake pattern in colloquial English.

Does all this make sense?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1219 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Today------------------------People Believed that there was a ghost but thats not the case anymore-------------------------Ghost in the town

People believed that there had been a ghost in the town.

Today------------------------People Believe that there still is a ghost in the town.........................Ghost in town

People believed that there was a ghost in the town

Today- they don't believe in the ghost--------------------People Believe that there still is a ghost in the town.........................Ghost in town

People had been believing that there was a ghost in the town

Today-Believe in the presence of a ghost--------------------People Believe that there still is a ghost in the town.........................Ghost in town

If I have to explicitly emphasize on the past history of the event:
People believe and have been believing for quite long that there is a ghost in the town

Did I do them correctly?

ThankYou
Justluck04
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Kudos
Expert Reply
JusTLucK04 wrote:
Today------------------------People Believed that there was a ghost but thats not the case anymore-------------------------Ghost in the town
People believed that there had been a ghost in the town.

Today------------------------People Believe that there still is a ghost in the town.........................Ghost in town
People believed that there was a ghost in the town

Today- they don't believe in the ghost--------------------People Believe that there still is a ghost in the town.........................Ghost in town
People had been believing that there was a ghost in the town

Today-Believe in the presence of a ghost--------------------People Believe that there still is a ghost in the town.........................Ghost in town
If I have to explicitly emphasize on the past history of the event:
People believe and have been believing for quite long that there is a ghost in the town

Did I do them correctly?
Thank You
Justluck04

Dear Justluck04,
Hmm. First of all, the structure "had been believing" -- the past perfect progressive --- I can't think of any situation in which that would be correct. In general, we will use the present tense or the past tense for "believe", but unless we are contrasting the action of "believing" to some other action or event. ("Before Galileo turned his telescope on the heavens, people had believed that ...") If we are talking about people in the present time doing the believing, we use the present tense. If we are talking about people in the past doing the believing, we use the past tense. In ordinary descriptions of beliefs, those are the only tenses we need for the word "believe."

Now, let's talk about what the people believe. I had a bit of trouble following your scheme. Here's how I would present it.

Case #1:
In 1800, people said, "We believe there are ghosts in town."
We would say: "Those people in 1800 believed that there were ghosts in town."

Case #2:
In 1800, people said, "We believe there were ghosts in town at one time, but they are no longer here."
We would say: "Those people in 1800 believed that there had been ghosts in town."

Case #3:
In 2014, people say, "We believe there are ghosts in town."
We would say: "These people believe that there are ghosts in town."

Case #4:
In 2014, people say, "We believe there were ghosts in town at one time, but they are no longer here."
We would say: "These people believe that there were ghosts in town."

RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31880 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Q from magoosh [#permalink]
Expert Reply
souvik101990 wrote:

A. appeared when the Creator separated the “water above” from the “water below”, and that there is

B. appeared when the Creator had separated the “water above” from the “water below”, and that there is

C. appeared when the Creator separated the “water above” from the “water below”, and that there was

D. had appeared when the Creator had separated the “water above” from the “water below”, and that there was

E. appeared when the Creator had separated the “water above” from the “water below”, and that there was

Hi mikemcgarry,

Although most above have choosen the OA, some points which require a bit of clarification as the source is magoosh,

Quote:
The people of the ancient Near East believed that the Earth’s dry land first had appeared when the Creator had separated the “water above” from the “water below”, and that there was another ocean in the sky, above the firmament.

wouldn't had first appeared better than first had appeared ...
first modifies apperance and should be close to it..
also do we require 'first' at all. appeared' used in the context itself suggests 'first'. isn't it redundancy?
the present structure seems to say that there have been few appearances, the first of which occured when the creator....
Its something like..
Ronaldo first had played for x club and then for club y.

Do we really require past perfect?
doesn't believed and the structure itself suggest that the incident being believed about has been prior to the believing..
The ancients believed that the almighty created earth out of xyz..
shouldn't this be correct
why would we require to say ..
The ancients believed that the almighty had created earth out of xyz..

Regards
Chetan
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [0]
Re: Q from magoosh [#permalink]
Expert Reply
chetan2u wrote:

The people of the ancient Near East believed that the Earth’s dry land first had appeared when the Creator had separated the “water above” from the “water below”, and that there was another ocean in the sky, above the firmament.

wouldn't had first appeared better than first had appeared ...
first modifies apperance and should be close to it..
also do we require 'first' at all. appeared' used in the context itself suggests 'first'. isn't it redundancy?
the present structure seems to say that there have been few appearances, the first of which occured when the creator....
Its something like..
Ronaldo first had played for x club and then for club y.

Do we really require past perfect?
doesn't believed and the structure itself suggest that the incident being believed about has been prior to the believing..
The ancients believed that the almighty created earth out of xyz..
shouldn't this be correct
why would we require to say ..
The ancients believed that the almighty had created earth out of xyz..

Regards
Chetan

Dear Chetan,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

You are correct that, in general, we should get adverbs close to the word they are modifying. Nevertheless, one subtle rule of sophisticated writing is that it's better not to interrupt the verb. The word "not" regularly interrupts the verb, i.e. comes between the auxiliary verb and the main verb. In general, if the verb consists of multiple words, because auxiliary verbs are involves, we try not to insert other words between the auxiliary verb and the main verb if can avoid it. This is NOT tested on the GMAT, although if you notice, the OAs on the GMAT SC tend to follow this pattern.

Here, "had first appeared" would pass as perfectly correct in colloquial English, but "first had appeared" is what would appear in more sophisticated writing.

I would say that the past perfect is certainly not 100% required here. One could argue that we have a choice between the simple past and the past perfect for the verbs "to appear" and "to separate." I think the past perfect is still preferable, both because of the sequence of tenses rules, and because we went to specify that the "appearing" and "separating" happened before the the time of the final verb.

There's a choice to some extent, but what's key is that we have to be consistent. The problem with (E), for example, is that the tenses are inconsistent, "appeared" (past) and "had separated" (past perfect) for presumably simultaneous events (as suggested by "when").

The final verb has to be past tense, "was," not "is." This, and the problem with (E), isolates (D) as the only possible answer.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: ISB '17
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Consulting)
Send PM
Verbs sequence for multiple events - all are in the past time [#permalink]
Hi All,

can any one please clarify the structure of sentence when it has 3 or more past related events .

for ex:- The people of the ancient Near East believed that the Earth’s dry land first appeared when the Creator separated the “water above” from the “water below”, and that there is another ocean in the sky, above the firmament.

sequence is :- Creator (1)separated, aftermath of this is land (2)appeared  and later people (3)believed that this is how happened.

I remember the earliest event has to use past perfect and later events as simple past. It is easy with 2 events ( the train had left when he reached the station ..sth like this)

but in the earlier  example which of the following is correct ?

1) had appeared when the Creator had separated the “water above” from the “water below”, and that there was

2) appeared when the Creator had separated the “water above” from the “water below”, and that there was

or if this example is not clear , please explain with any simple 3 past sequential related events that would be better to understand.
Let's say  A  happened and then B happened and at last C happened  a long ago. Do we need to use past perfect for both A and B  or  for only A ?

Thanks in advance .
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: Verbs sequence for multiple events - all are in the past time [#permalink]
Expert Reply
You don't ever have to use perfect tenses. They are a way to add clarity to a sentence. In order to use past perfect, you must have one event that precedes another, but that doesn't mean you must use past perfect. (As an analogy, in order to buy beer, you must be 21, but 21-year-olds aren't required to buy beer--even if they act like it.)

Imagine that last year, you were in a reggae band, and the year before that, you were in a blues band. You might say "I have been in a blues band and a reggae band." There's no reason to use the past perfect here.

However, if you wanted to stress that this was not your first band experience, you might say "When I joined the reggae band, I had already been in a blues band, so I had some idea of what to expect."

So, getting back to your example, I would use the original version over 1 and 2. There's no need for past perfect because it doesn't add anything to the meaning. Naturally, the beginning of the world preceded whatever else we're talking about--that doesn't need to be clarified. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 158 [0]
Given Kudos: 818
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 2.84
WE:Other (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi Expert,

I didn't get the line of reasoning here.

IMO, D has to be the correct one over here.

My Line of thought-the action of "separated" occurred before anything else, therefore, its imperative and only logical to make that verb past perfect.
Creator had separated the 2 skies and then the Earth's dry land appeared.
Use of "first" before "Appeared" makes it a verb that took place before the verb "Believed".

Where am i wrong on this?

Request your help on this.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM