Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [1]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [2]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: Hardwork never goes unrewarded for ever - 760(49/44) [#permalink]
Kudos
Hello kinjiGC, Congrats on great score. I would like to know how did you study for SC using egmat. Did you made notes ? How much time it took you to complete the whole SC course ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Vinitkhicha1111 wrote:
Hey kinjiGC ,

First of all accept my heartiest congos on this great ecstatic result...I used to follow your solutions and advice sometimes on this club forum..ATB for your application process !! :) I also scored a decent 720 a couple of days back whereas I wanna be in that >= 760 bucket. My score was Q 50 and V 38. Since we both belong to the Non Native community, so if you can just give some quick tips as to how to take my score to atleast V 43. One Quick note: I had this very awkward feeling dealing with the official questions on the GMAT and the questions felt like very bulky as compared to the Veritas tests ones which I used to follow.

Pls give some tips as to how much to attempt in the last 10 questions and how should I try my guessing strategy on Verbal. Thanx in advance :) Keep reaching the top..!!

First of all, I don't know whether you can plan to get a specific VA score. I think any score above VA 40 is good enough as Indians score good in QA, so overall will be around 740+. Very frankly, for 740+ scores, I don't think B school will make a difference between rejecting and accepting a candidate - Again my personal view.

I didn't feel GMAT exam questions were bulky. In SC, it was maximum 2 liners. If you compare with Magoosh, the SCs on GMAT seems as if they are on low fat diet for long time. I agree with CR questions on veritasPrep. I think "some" of the CR questions in veritasPrep are 2-3 liners and mostly you will find 4 liners on GMAT exam for CR. May be you can practice more of GMATPrep questions along with veritasPrep to get over it. But difficult CR questions of VeritasPrep are quite long actually - around 4 liners.

Frankly, I don't understand the process of "educated guess" on VA. If I have to make a educated guess, I will make it at the end of, lets say 2.5 mins at which time, I don't have any other option and that is not called guessing, it is called Giving up. If you look at my debrief, I had to complete 21 questions in 30 mins. I thought in the exam that I will try to solve the question as per my ability and later ones, I will just guess and I guessed 1 SC question (41st Question).

So I will suggest you to take up guessing only at the last resort. There are some strategies of guessing a single question when the time runs for a block of 10 questions. Those strategies, I will suggest you to practice in mocks and check whether you are comfortable with it. I was never comfortable with those strategies, so I never implemented those.

Originally posted by kinjiGC on 06 Dec 2014, 22:27.
Last edited by kinjiGC on 07 Dec 2014, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [0]
Send PM
rohitsaxena00 wrote:
kinjiGC - Can you please advise on what all practice material you used on your last attempt?

I have the following:
1) GMATPrep docs from GMATClub which has about 850 questions each for Quant and Verbal. (Does this doc contain questions from new GMATPrep Exam pack too?)
2) GMATClub tests for Quant and Verbal
3) Manhattan Mocks
4) GMATPrep Question Pack $30
5) GMATPrep Exam Pack $50

Can you please advise on which of the above should I use or not use or any other stuff that I should use.
Also could you advise the order in which you would advise me to use them.

I think the list looks good and you should go for other resources only when you run out of the above resources.

All the best.
Director
Director
Send PM
raincollector19 wrote:
Hello kinjiGC, Congrats on great score. I would like to know how did you study for SC using egmat. Did you made notes ? How much time it took you to complete the whole SC course ?

I think e-gmat SC is quite descriptive and you don't have to make notes. There are some things which are not covered in the e-gmat (I am talking about Ver 1.0 which I used), and you can find those specific concepts in the e-gmat forums. Once you complete the e-gmat topics, you can start with the official questions and once you can confident, you can start solving Mocks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Kudos
Wow, very good post and very good score.

In highest respect...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Business Development (Insurance)
Send PM
Thanx a lot kinjiGC (Kinjal) for your advice and concern :)
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NTU '19
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi kinjiGC,
Congratulations for such a nice score on GMAT. If I am not wrong, you are the same member from BTG fb page forum.
Please share some strategy doc. (if any) for different small modules. Congratulations once again.
All the best for applications.
Director
Director
Send PM
Sorry for the delay in replying to all the doubts. Feel free to PM me.

I am getting a lot of queries for Test Taking strategies:
My response would be: Try to be comfortable as much as possible during the test. You can practice mock and see what suits you. When I started my GMATPrep I read one 760 debrief and he said he had a habit of chewing the back of the pencil. He actually chewed the back of the marker so that worked for him. Try to take mocks, during the same time when you plan to take GMAT. My time was always 11:30 am and I booked a slot for 1:00 pm and I went early, I started by 12:30 pm - almost the same time.

If writing on the scratch pad makes you comfortable, so be it. As long as you can complete the paper with best of your ability, it should be fine. Normally the time should be maintained for 10 block of questions. Make sure what makes you comfortable and what increases your score.

All the best. Any specific query, please do post.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Technology, General Management
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats bro. Great Score..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Healthcare, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.7
WE:Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Materials used
If given the chance, I will write hundred times - GMATPrep questions. They are just gold mine and without practicing those question, crossing VA 40 would have been a pipe dream.

Hey kinjiGC,

highly motivating debrief... :-D :-D
Just wanted to ask, when you say gmat prep questions what exactly does that include?
The questions in the test as well as others?
Also could u tell me little bit about the scratch pad that u get on the test day? I read somewhere that you get one for each section :? is that true?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Motivatedtowin wrote:
Materials used
If given the chance, I will write hundred times - GMATPrep questions. They are just gold mine and without practicing those question, crossing VA 40 would have been a pipe dream.

Hey kinjiGC,

Just wanted to ask, when you say gmat prep questions what exactly does that include?
Also could u tell me little bit about the scratch pad that u get on the test day? I read somewhere that you get one for each section :? is that true?

GMATPrep questions -> Questions which appear in the GMATPrep Mocks/Question Pack 1.
OG questions are -> in OG 13/Verbal 2nd edition.
I feel that OG questions are easier than GMATPrep questions. So first complete those questions and then come to GMATPrep Questions.

About the scratch Pad : You can ask as many as you want but the condition is only after you finish it. In my last attempt, my scratch pad was finished when 5-6 mins to go for quant and I literally didn't have space to do any further problems. I started searching for small side spaces and started writing the questions there. I think that might have affected my QA score and I got paltry QA 49. Anyway, so make sure you have enough space towards the end of the Quant section. Normally VA doesn't require any scratch pad, but some of the tough CR questions might require.

Hope I have answered your question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Healthcare, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.7
WE:Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
kinjiGC wrote:
Motivatedtowin wrote:
Materials used

Hey kinjiGC,

GMATPrep questions -> Questions which appear in the GMATPrep Mocks/Question Pack 1.
OG questions are -> in OG 13/Verbal 2nd edition.
I feel that OG questions are easier than GMATPrep questions. So first complete those questions and then come to GMATPrep Questions.

About the scratch Pad : You can ask as many as you want but the condition is only after you finish it. In my last attempt, my scratch pad was finished when 5-6 mins to go for quant and I literally didn't have space to do any further problems. I started searching for small side spaces and started writing the questions there. I think that might have affected my QA score and I got paltry QA 49. Anyway, so make sure you have enough space towards the end of the Quant section. Normally VA doesn't require any scratch pad, but some of the tough CR questions might require.

Hope I have answered your question.

yes it does thanks :) and forgot to say this before, :cry:
congrats on your really awesome score :-D All the best for the apps
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [2]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I conducted a one on one with Kinjal a few weeks back. In that interview, Kinjal discussed a few other helpful tips. Please find the same below:

1. Use of Error Logs
2. Timing: Never take it for granted
3. Brute force methods to save on time.
4. CR Prethinking - How does it help
5. SC Meaning and Logic: How does it help.

Click on the image below if you want to watch the unedited interview.

I hope that the above helps. Click here if you want to look a few other interviews.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
please suggest me good material for RC ASAP since i m planning to take my Gmat in february.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
nice forum thank you for sharing this all the information..
Director
Director
Send PM
shrestharaj wrote:
please suggest me good material for RC ASAP since i m planning to take my Gmat in february.

Official questions for RC will do wonders.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 05-10-2015
GPA: 3.51
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Kinji,
First of all accept my hearty congratulation for the achieved score.
Since i am still continuing my journey, I have few quarries whose answers will help me in my preparation under pressured condition:-

1) You said that by the time you reached 21st question, you were left with 30 mins.
My question is how did you manage to answer confidently last 21 questions (all tougher ones, with approx <1.5 mins per question) with in 30 mins. Was guessing involved or do you think <1.5 mins is enough to answer even the tough question in GMAT. Kindly shed some light.

2) I have downloaded and practiced from GMatPrep-question collections from gmatClub forum posted by multiple people. My doubt is whether it is advisable now to "buy" GMATPrep questions online, because i fear that i will get almost same question which i have already downloaded ? That will be waste of money spent. Kindly suggest.

Thank you.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts