Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 08:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Harm of not attending info sessions, etc

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: Fuqua, Ross, Booth, Columbia, Sloan
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Harm of not attending info sessions, etc [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 16:04
I am finishing up my round 2 applications and am starting to worry that my lack of "hands-on" research will hurt my chances of admission.

I now realize it is common knowledge that it is a good idea to visit schools, contact current students, attend info sessions in your area, etc. I started the process late and completely underestimated this.

1) Is anybody familiar with how much it will harm your application if you do none of these things for a particular school?

2) If this does have a negative effect, how much can you mitigate the harm after you send in your application? ie visiting the school prior to an interview

Last edited by sglass on 04 Mar 2010, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mellon, USC, MIT, UCLA, NSCU
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Harm of not attending info sessions, etc [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2010, 02:43
This post received
KUDOS
sglass wrote:
I am finishing up my round 2 applications and am starting to worry that my lack of "hands-on" research will hurt my chances of admission.

I now realize it is common knowledge that it is a good idea to visit schools, contact current students, attend info sessions in your area, etc. I started the process late and completely underestimated this.

1) Is anybody familiar with how much it will harm your application if you do none of these things for a particular school?

2) If this does have a negative effect, how much can you mitigate the harm after you send in your application? ie visiting the school prior to an interview

(To give context for my personal situation, I am applying to a couple top schools Columbia, Chicago and a couple "trans-elites" Michigan and Duke with a solid GPA and a 760 GMAT)

I wouldn't worry about what you haven't done so far. Make personal connections with the programs from here on. Seek out local contacts if you can't get to campuses. Participant in online chats whether facilitated by schools directly or hosted by websites like Accepted.com. Contact school ambassadors on this site was well. Use available resources for discovering more about your programs as well as their fit for you.

Reward wisdom with kudos. ;)

Intern
Intern
Schools: Fuqua, Ross, Booth, Columbia, Sloan
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Harm of not attending info sessions, etc [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2010, 22:49
Thanks for the advice.

Now, if I contact student ambassadors, view online chats, etc - should I go out of my way to inform the adcoms of my new research to let them know that I am actually committed to the schools?

Lastly, I realize worrying about this now isn't productive, but can showing a lack of research and commitment to the school hurt an otherwise solid application?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mellon, USC, MIT, UCLA, NSCU
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Harm of not attending info sessions, etc [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 10:59
Convey commitment during interviews. Regarding your second question, don't think you should worry about it. The reality is that your apps are in. Your essays reflect your specific interests. Granted you may not have referenced direct interaction with programs, you see value in potentially matriculating in your programs and that should be clear. Be optimistic about what you've already expressed via your apps.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Reward wisdom with kudos. ;)

Re: Harm of not attending info sessions, etc   [#permalink] 11 Jan 2010, 10:59