Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 May 2015, 05:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Harry: Airlines have made it possible for anyone to travel

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2013
Posts: 3
Location: India
Schools: Stern '15
WE: Web Design (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 4

Harry: Airlines have made it possible for anyone to travel [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2013, 22:27
2
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (01:56) correct 43% (00:56) wrong based on 209 sessions
Harry: Airlines have made it possible for anyone to travel around the world in much less time than was formerly possible.

Judith: That is not true. Many flights are too expensive for all but the rich.

Judith’s response shows that she interprets Harry’s statement to imply that

A) the majority of people are rich
(B) everyone has an equal right to experience world travel
(C) world travel is only possible via routes serviced by airlines
(D) most forms of world travel are not affordable for most people
(E) anyone can afford to travel long distances by air
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 04 Jun 2013, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Working, Small Business Owner & 1st GMAT 750
Joined: 01 Dec 2012
Posts: 89
Location: United States (OH)
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 63

Re: Harry: Airlines have made it possible for anyone to travel [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 04:33
parthnakarani wrote:
Harry: Airlines have made it possible for anyone to travel around the world in much less time than was formerly possible.

Judith: That is not true. Many flights are too expensive for all but the rich.

Judith’s response shows that she interprets Harry’s statement to imply that

A) the majority of people are rich
(B) everyone has an equal right to experience world travel
(C) world travel is only possible via routes serviced by airlines
(D) most forms of world travel are not affordable for most people
(E) anyone can afford to travel long distances by air


I think it's option E.
Premise - anyone can travel around the world , because of airlines
Judiths conclusion- many flights are too expensive

Gap in argument - linking "anyone" with "too expensive". Option E helps it best. D is ruled out because it talks about world travel, not air travel. The rest are easy to push away.


Hope it helps!
Regards,
Vishnu
_________________

Regards,
Vishnu

Article --> http://www.topmba.com/blog/could-mba-de ... ay-forward

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2011
Posts: 21
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: Harry: Airlines have made it possible for anyone to travel [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 04:34
i thought this was simple and the answer was D can come one tell me the reason for the answer being E
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Working, Small Business Owner & 1st GMAT 750
Joined: 01 Dec 2012
Posts: 89
Location: United States (OH)
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 63

Re: Harry: Airlines have made it possible for anyone to travel [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 04:39
ramanujanu wrote:
i thought this was simple and the answer was D can come one tell me the reason for the answer being E


D - world travel.
E - air travel

We do not have information saying air travel is the only form of world travel, if we had that then yes maybe D ! Hope this is clear :-).

Regards,
Vishnu
_________________

Regards,
Vishnu

Article --> http://www.topmba.com/blog/could-mba-de ... ay-forward

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Preparing for the another shot...!
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1422
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 145

Kudos [?]: 784 [1] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Harry: Airlines have made it possible for anyone to travel [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 05:12
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
parthnakarani wrote:
Harry: Airlines have made it possible for anyone to travel around the world in much less time than was formerly possible.

Judith: That is not true. Many flights are too expensive for all but the rich.

Judith’s response shows that she interprets Harry’s statement to imply that

A) the majority of people are rich
(B) everyone has an equal right to experience world travel
(C) world travel is only possible via routes serviced by airlines
(D) most forms of world travel are not affordable for most people
(E) anyone can afford to travel long distances by air


As suggested, we can tackle this question by finding out the missing link. Here the missing link is the relation between "anyone travelling around the world" and "being rich".
We can rule out B C D in that they talk about those things about which nothing has been discussed in the premise. A comes closer BUT doesn't finds the missing link.
Hope that helps.
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 May 2013
Posts: 25
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 76

Re: Harry: Airlines have made it possible for anyone to travel [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 01:34
I think I don't understand the question. I thought I can rephrase the question to "What is Judith's position?" And the answer to it is "NOT ANYONE can afford to go travel long distances by air." But I didn't see a clear answer, and I thought D would be the closest one. I know I am missing something. Can someone clarify for me?
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Far, far away!
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 1125
Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 140

Kudos [?]: 1373 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Harry: Airlines have made it possible for anyone to travel [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 01:46
1
This post received
KUDOS
cssoileau wrote:
I think I don't understand the question. I thought I can rephrase the question to "What is Judith's position?" And the answer to it is "NOT ANYONE can afford to go travel long distances by air." But I didn't see a clear answer, and I thought D would be the closest one. I know I am missing something. Can someone clarify for me?


You need to take a closer look at it:

Harry: Airlines have made it possible for anyone to travel around the world in much less time than was formerly possible.
Judith: That is not true. Many flights are too expensive for all but the rich.

Judith’s response shows that she interprets Harry’s statement to imply that

D (as B and C also) does not talk about the same topic as the argument, so it cannot be correct.

(B) everyone has an equal right to experience world travel
(C) world travel is only possible via routes serviced by airlines
(D) most forms of world travel are not affordable for most people
(E) anyone can afford to travel long distances by air

Hope it's clear
_________________

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 May 2013
Posts: 25
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 76

Re: Harry: Airlines have made it possible for anyone to travel [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 04:56
Zarrolou wrote:
cssoileau wrote:
I think I don't understand the question. I thought I can rephrase the question to "What is Judith's position?" And the answer to it is "NOT ANYONE can afford to go travel long distances by air." But I didn't see a clear answer, and I thought D would be the closest one. I know I am missing something. Can someone clarify for me?


You need to take a closer look at it:

Harry: Airlines have made it possible for anyone to travel around the world in much less time than was formerly possible.
Judith: That is not true. Many flights are too expensive for all but the rich.

Judith’s response shows that she interprets Harry’s statement to imply that

D (as B and C also) does not talk about the same topic as the argument, so it cannot be correct.

(B) everyone has an equal right to experience world travel
(C) world travel is only possible via routes serviced by airlines
(D) most forms of world travel are not affordable for most people
(E) anyone can afford to travel long distances by air

Hope it's clear


I think I got it. I should have rephrased the question to "Which part of Harry's statement Judith points out." Judith points out the phrase "anyone" Harry stated. If that is the case, I understand the logic of this question.

Thank you, Zarrolou!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2013
Posts: 86
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: ISB '15
WE: Account Management (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Harry: Airlines have made it possible for anyone to travel [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 14:22
cssoileau wrote:
Zarrolou wrote:
cssoileau wrote:
I think I don't understand the question. I thought I can rephrase the question to "What is Judith's position?" And the answer to it is "NOT ANYONE can afford to go travel long distances by air." But I didn't see a clear answer, and I thought D would be the closest one. I know I am missing something. Can someone clarify for me?


You need to take a closer look at it:

Harry: Airlines have made it possible for anyone to travel around the world in much less time than was formerly possible.
Judith: That is not true. Many flights are too expensive for all but the rich.

Judith’s response shows that she interprets Harry’s statement to imply that

D (as B and C also) does not talk about the same topic as the argument, so it cannot be correct.

(B) everyone has an equal right to experience world travel
(C) world travel is only possible via routes serviced by airlines
(D) most forms of world travel are not affordable for most people
(E) anyone can afford to travel long distances by air

Hope it's clear


I think I got it. I should have rephrased the question to "Which part of Harry's statement Judith points out." Judith points out the phrase "anyone" Harry stated. If that is the case, I understand the logic of this question.

Thank you, Zarrolou!


I think the question asks us to identify How Judith is looking at Harry's statement. I think Choice E correctly shows how she perceives Harry's words.
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 1153
Location: United States
Followers: 173

Kudos [?]: 1731 [2] , given: 123

Premium Member
Re: Harry: Airlines have made it possible for anyone to travel [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 22:26
2
This post received
KUDOS
parthnakarani wrote:
Harry: Airlines have made it possible for anyone to travel around the world in much less time than was formerly possible.

Judith: That is not true. Many flights are too expensive for all but the rich.

Judith’s response shows that she interprets Harry’s statement to imply that

A) the majority of people are rich
(B) everyone has an equal right to experience world travel
(C) world travel is only possible via routes serviced by airlines
(D) most forms of world travel are not affordable for most people
(E) anyone can afford to travel long distances by air


This one is like LSAT question. The real problem is how we translate the question stem. what does it really mean? If we understand it correctly, we can pick the right answer much easier.

I will rephrase the question:

Harry: Anyone can travel around the world by air in much less time than he/she did in the past.
Judith: That's not true. Many flights are too expensive, and they are not for everyone.
Question: Judith's response shows that she understood Harry's implication that (his assumption)

Clearly, Harry's assumption is anyone can travel by air. If anyone cannot do so, why anyone can save time for traveling around the world?

E fits perfectly by showing Harry's assumption.

Hope it helps.
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 3984
Followers: 440

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Harry: Airlines have made it possible for anyone to travel [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2014, 10:22
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Harry: Airlines have made it possible for anyone to travel   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2014, 10:22
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
41 While airline travel can be detrimental to your health riderofthestorm 24 20 Aug 2013, 04:53
4 Advance purchase discounts for airline travel mrsmarthi 6 05 Oct 2009, 22:05
1 Recent cosmological advances have made it possible to JohnLewis1980 28 08 Mar 2009, 09:20
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Advance Purchase Discount for Airline Travel navami 6 15 Jan 2008, 07:23
Harry Cooper2248817 6 22 Oct 2007, 10:04
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Harry: Airlines have made it possible for anyone to travel

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.