Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 20:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Harsh letter of reference - what to do???

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Harsh letter of reference - what to do??? [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 20:22
Hi everyone,

Has anyone had this problem? My boss has rediculously high standards and is not prone to hyperbole when writing a letter of reference. In fact, he has given me a really supportive reference, but, in the minds of the adcom, I'm concerned that they will consider it as a lukewarm reference?

For example, if he says that you are 'good' at something, he is comparing this to the McKinsey standard, not the average person on the street... hence, the reference has the tendency to sound less enthuisastic than what is the case.

Does anyone have any experience on how to handle this? Is having a very candid mediocre sounding reference (that details significant achievements but does not 'talk it up') a disadvantage or would the adcom see through this and appreciate the honesty?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated?

Many thanks.
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Harsh letter of reference - what to do??? [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 21:07
well if your at Mck don't worry about it, if not then get another recommender, or coach him more. My recommender is the same, she get that its a reco letter though. but if they are genuine about helping you tell them to spruce it up a bit. Unless he's a total jerk why wouldn't he?

Has he already turned it in and you have seen it? If so not much you can do. I would suggest against bringing anymore attention to it. Either way if he is fair to you and speaks about your strengths and weaknesses openly then its a good letter.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 32

Re: Harsh letter of reference - what to do??? [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 21:38
I thought about this issue for a long time .. One of my recommenders is the enthuisatic & optimistic type but the other person is similar to your boss. Its hard to get a grudge of approval from him . Most people get complaints , so if one does well , its usually just a nod of approval . However in the end I decided to go with him as I have worked with him closely for the past one year and he would be the best person to comment about me. I am hoping he can give enough details.. leave the judging to Adcom.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Harsh letter of reference - what to do??? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 07:16
this is not the forum to post questions. The knowledge vault is for links to key threads that will answer most questions. I have moved this thread to its appropriate place.

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 33

Re: Harsh letter of reference - what to do??? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 07:29
also, don't assume just because he is sparing with praise to his workers that he will do so in a recommendation. If you work for a consulting company, it is likely he has written many recommendations for business school. In some ways, having someone who comes across as very earnest and balanced will increase the credibility of the recommendation.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Harsh letter of reference - what to do??? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 08:54
well there's nothing you can do about it unless you dont waive the right to see it which means you can see what he wrote - if bad then maybe get new rec. If he doesnt let you see it then you gotta trust him. we are at the mercy of the recs...

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Re: Harsh letter of reference - what to do???   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2010, 08:54